Author Topic: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
Well the flirting thing is more like

BRO/LADY I AM TRYING TO EAT COULD YOU LEAVE ME ALONE

You've been hit on by both sexes? You've got mass appeal, my friend. May that carry you for however long you think about it.

idk like i said it was only twice and it's entirely possible they weren't flirting and just trying to rob me while distracting me with empty compliments and I'm too sexually confused and also regular confused to tell.

for reals though what's with that thing where it's like, there's this line between being overly friendly and flirting and some people are just /on/ that line all the time and it's really goddamn uncomfortable because you can't read what they want at all?

oh wait relevant answers.

soy cheese
any sort of cupcake that neglects the cake and just uses it as an excuse for frosting delivery
any sort of baked good that neglects the baked good and just uses it as an excuse for frosting delivery
the majority of Lara bars.
Clif Bars' seasonal line
Clif Bars generally
I don't even like clif bars why do I eat nothing but clif bars
eggs
cashews (I like cashews but I think I'm mildly allergic to them. I keep eating them anyway. This tells you everything you need to know about me).
ohio
American scarequotes licorice unscarequotes (Some of it's adequate!)
marmite (vegemite is true american dog!)
whole foods' hot bar (wtf it used to be a lot better)
Kellogg's
Red House Painters - Rollercoaster
THESE FUCKING TITS ROBOT SURVEY SPAM ROBOTS THAT KEEP CALLING MY CELLPHONE HAHA JK THAT'S JUST HATRED WITH NO DESIRE TO NOT HATRED
sushi (it's like I wanna eat it sometimes and maybe it's alright for a bit but really inari's the only kind I can go for for an entire meal)
Arabians (the horse breed ffs.)
chickens (they're cute! i'm inexplicably afraid of chickens though!)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:01:49 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 04:19:23 PM »
So many...

The first that comes to mind is Bravely Default.  On paper, it is totally my type of RPG.  However, when I played it, I didn't enjoy it.  It was like being on a date with a girl who's totally your type on paper, but on the actual date there's no chemistry.  On the other hand, I tried Lightning Returns soon after as an "ehh, why not?"  It's not really my type of RPG, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.  This was like being on date with a girl who's not your type on paper, but on the actual date there is chemistry and you have a great time.  

Final Fantasy VI is one of those games that I recognize and respect as a seminal work and one of the best RPGs of its generation, but I did not enjoy my time with it at all.  I found it tiresome to play.  On the other hand, Legend of Dragoon is an RPG that most people think is garbage, yet I enjoyed it tremendously and think it's a highly underrated game.  

Most death metal fans I know are nuts about the band Devourment.  I can't stand them.  I think their music is dreadfully boring.  I remember once being at this metal/hardcore show and saw this band called Sicker Than Most.  Everyone in the crowd thought they were amazing, but I felt the opposite.  Their music was all breakdowns and no speed, and thus completely bored me.  I like hardcore, but it has to balance the breakdowns with speed.  

I remember back in the day when everyone on the forums was talking about how fantastic a movie Donnie Darko was.  I thought it was terrible.  

I want to like avocados, but they make me queasy so I don't eat them.  Too bad, because they're healthy.  

And I've lost any semblance of "Tam Bram" cred in my family; Tam Bram being our term for "Tamil-bred Brahmin."  Why?:  Because I do not like thayir chadam (lit. "yogurt rice" it's rice and yogurt mixed together.)  I never liked it and I never will.  I love rice, I love yogurt, but mixed together I think it's disgusting.  Yet it is the ultimate staple comfort food in my family.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:12:05 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 05:21:29 PM »
I did not like Bravely Default at all, and the funny thing is, the second half of the game is meant to be worse, but I barely got a few hours in and I just gave up with it. For that matter, I'm not really a fan of job systems in RPGs.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 04:56:09 AM »
I really want to like Opoona on Wii. It's adorable with a unique setting and has a great soundtrack but it's pretty tedious with a high encounter rate.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »
The game I'm currently playing to review for RPGFan is definitely one of these so far.  I thoroughly enjoyed all the prior installments in this series, but this new game is shaping up to be a massive disappointment.  I like the developer (they're lovely people) and it's clear that a lot of love and effort was put into this game, but I'm not enjoying it.  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:02:01 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »

I remember back in the day when everyone on the forums was talking about how fantastic a movie Donnie Darko was.  I thought it was terrible.  

I want to like avocados, but they make me queasy so I don't eat them.  Too bad, because they're healthy.  

Donnie Darko never seemed exceptional in any sense aside for "style". Don't know how it became so popular. It was simply another "Time distortion/travel will never make any sense scenario" that became a cult-ee trend somehow. Never saw the appeal personally and after one viewing I knew I never wanted to hurt my head with that one again.

Avocados make me sick as sin. Bums me out too my friend. Love the texture and high fat fruits are tough to find/nonexistent but no way can my guts tolerate it.

The music point was one I didn't even explore. There are so many bands that qualify for my list its not even funny. The hard hitters for me in this respect are the ones I DID love or resonated with me that just don't anymore. This means damn near every post hardcore/punk/emo and alt. rock act I got into after the early/late nineties. Bands that really paved the way for my contemporary tastes that just don't reflect how I feel or what I like in any way anymore. Thursday and the Get up Kids were huge to me in my mid-late teens and I just can't appreciate them now (this really bums me out). In a different vein I always wanted to like Radiohead and Echo & the Bunnymen but every time I listen they bore me to tears.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
The only Radiohead song I like is Paranoid Android.  

As for Donnie Darko, people kept saying how original it was, but to me it was nothing more than a pretentious mishmash of Hamlet and Alice in Wonderland where the big theme is "is the protagonist truly mad or is he the only sane person in a mad world that that's why he seems mad to everyone else?"

Another one for me is Superman.  My comic-loving colleague and I constantly butt heads about Superman.  He adores him, I abhor him.  I get that Superman is the most powerful superhero of all time and that in the classic "who would win in a fight?  [ insert opponent here ] or Superman?" the answer will always be Supes.  I also get that Superman is a paragon of everything that is good.  But I personally think he's an overpowered Mary Sue boy scout whom I simply cannot relate to at all.  I can't relate to "superior alien being with godlike powers with the perfect body, perfect soul, and near invincibility" at all.  Truth be told, I liked Superman as a kid because I was a wimpy kid who wished he could have superpowers and actually be stronger and faster than everyone else and not always be the picked-last gym class joke.  But nowadays, I couldn't care less about Superman. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:19:42 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 11:22:08 PM »
Game wise, the most recent example of this feeling for me would be Fallout 4.  As a huge fan of Bethesda and Fallout, I was super hyped to play around in Boston.  Then I played it.  I can't put my finger on why, but it didn't click with me at all.  I dicked around with it for a week or so, then promptly abandoned it for The Witcher 3, which is a far superior experience.

Final Fantasy 14 is another pretty good example.  I enjoy MMORPGs, I enjoy most Final Fantasies, but the two combined didn't pull me in.  There is (was?) a total lack of leveling content once you've already gone through an area with one job, and grinding it out felt like a slightly less tedious version of FF12's old "beat on a crab for five minutes" leveling scheme.  Maybe things have changed.  I doubt it, though. :P

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
I'm not really a fan of job systems in RPGs.

"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
I'm not really a fan of job systems in RPGs.

When I think about it now, there are plenty I like - Xenoblade X's is pretty good, basic but once you've mastered and entire class line then you've got access to all the skills and weapons.

I don't like it when changing class penalizes you like with FF3. Either let me change class and experiment or keep me locked in one class for the entire game.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
I think I feel worse backlash towards a game I really want to like but end up not liking.

Like I got really pissed at Trails in the Sky. But really, it wasn't TiTS I was pissed off at so much as like... I don't want to say /myself/ because that's WAY overdramatic and not what I mean, but it seemed like the sort of game that would fit my tastes very well, and when it didn't, I had this mini-(non)crisis of "Well wait, what the heck DO I like?"

If it wasn't in the /i want to love you but i hate you/ range I'd probably feel somewhere between muted ambivalence and not-super-passionate fondness. It's not just the expectations, it's the timbre of expectations.

Does that make sense?
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
Now that I think about it, this is exactly how I feel about reading.

Not anything in particular, just reading in general. Thanks to physical limitations, I'm a pretty slow reader to begin with, but then since my mind tends to wander and get distracted on its own, it usually takes a few tries for me to register what I'm reading unless I'm super absorbed in it (and sometimes even then). So while I enjoy written media, I can't stand the act of reading.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
The RPGs would be:

Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Cross, Persona 3 (SMT series in general), Witcher (series), Fallout and perhaps Final Fantasy Tactics. Usually, these games tend to have something like an attractive art design and nostalgia pandering, but things like random battles on airship are quick motivation destroyers. Makes me almost want to play some hack that fixes them rather than the original game.

Also echoing on fighting games and 98% of mecha simulators. Silly me for thinking you'd just control a robot like a normal game character.

I don't even know why I'm not playing Metroid or racing games.

Special mention goes to city builders, which for some reason like shoehorning in half-baked RTS war elements. I've spend hundreds of hours of them, but rarely actually finished any levels or campaigns.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
Rush seems to be that band for a lot of people, for good reason.  I hear all the time that people want to like Rush, but can't stand Geddy Lee's voice.  I don't like his shrieky voice in early albums, like Fly By Night, but from Grace Under Pressure onwards, his voice mellowed out very nicely.  I know even then the timbre of his voice doesn't appeal to some people, but can you really imagine Rush with any other voice? 

I sound like a hypocrite saying this, but even though I like Rush (well Grace Under Pressure and later Rush) I could never get into Coheed & Cambria because I couldn't stand the guy's voice.  I'll take shrieky early-Geddy over that guy. 

I also know a lot of people who want to like death metal because it is great music, but don't like the "Cookie Monster" vocals.  I think many metalheads could name several death/extreme metal bands who create amazing music, but their monotone vocalists just bring the whole thing down.  I tend to prefer more dynamic metal vocalists these days- those guys who can produce a variety of growls, screams, and cleans.  Like Devin Townsend, Mike Patton, Corey Taylor, Burton C. Bell...
     -Peppermint Patty

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 09:59:07 AM »
Special mention goes to city builders, which for some reason like shoehorning in half-baked RTS war elements. I've spend hundreds of hours of them, but rarely actually finished any levels or campaigns.

I'd rather have warfare be treated like a natural disaster in these games, with your military being essentially another police for for fighting it.

So you wouldn't have to/be able to directly control any of the combat, but you'd just get enemy armies attacking and destroying whatever until they either got bored or until your own guys fended them off automatically, dependent on how much funding you were giving to the military.

Essentially like how fire works, ya know?

Or you could just have military presence modeled as a desirability thing -- no warfare, but different social groups would want more/less military presence and you would need to fund accordingly.

There're multiple ways of handling it and the bigger issue is nobody being willing to step away from patterns established by early notable games, which is also bringing down 4Xs a lot to me.
o/` I do not dream o/`