Author Topic: Pokemon

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »
I think the Ghost Totem fight is the "Whitney's Miltank" of Sun/Moon.  That thing was cheap as hell.  The trial itself was nifty, though. 

EDIT: Grass Totem seemed to give a lot of people trouble too, if I'm to believe the Internet. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:30:24 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »
Hah. Good point. I remember trying to Toxic it with my Salazzle and it had an unpleasant surprise for me.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
I will say that, so far, the post-game battles are no joke.  The random trainers in Poni Gauntlet were relentless.  I had just gotten past that Veteran couple (with most of my pokemons' HP below 50%) when I was challenged to an intense initiation battle outside the Tree.  I was like, "WAIT WAIT!!!!  I didn't get a chance to heal!!!  I didn't get a chance to save!!!!!"  So, with a party of weakened pokemon, I barely scraped by with the skin of my teeth. 

And my official MVP for Pokemon Sun is..... Mudbray/Mudsdale.  Not only is he an offensive and defensive powerhouse, but mine has the Own Tempo skill which proved to be invaluable.  Enemies love using/spamming moves that inflict confusion, so having a sturdy pokemon with Own Tempo is wonderful. 

(My first Pokemon game was Crystal and my MVP was Spinarak/Ariados- it may not have been an offensive or defensive powerhouse, but it always came through for me in a pinch.  In Y, my MVP was Flabebe/Floette/Florges because I nearly took out Y's Elite 4 with Florges alone.)
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
So screwing around the postgame I really gotta say they've taken some really head-scratching steps back with this game as far as gameplay is concerned. The annoyance of replacing the Horde Battles and Dexnav with the SOS battles is already well-documented. I think I'll stick to screwing around in Poke Pelago for EVs. Pretty much forced to anyway because they removed quick ways to reset EVs and you need to grow the Route 10 berries for it.
The removal of Dexnav is likely because they set up the engine/systems of Sun/Moon to minimize the reliance on the second screen. Likely this is because they intend to use the same base for the (rumored) Pokémon games for the Switch (which lacks a second screen).

Horde battles would likely crash the game with how much lag occurs in Battle Royales. Not sure what changed from Gen 6 to cause that though (adding the player to the battles?).

Regarding EVs, there is actually an easy way to reset them...in the Festival Plaza thing. So I can totally understand why you would either not know of it or just have no desire to pray to the RNG gods for the proper stand.

I think the Ghost Totem fight is the "Whitney's Miltank" of Sun/Moon.  That thing was cheap as hell.  The trial itself was nifty, though. 

EDIT: Grass Totem seemed to give a lot of people trouble too, if I'm to believe the Internet.
Personally did not find the Ghost totem to be that bad. Although I guess if you didn't know its ability and wasted a Z-Move on the first turn that could mess you up. I don't recall having any issues with it, but I can see how someone could have trouble with the Grass totem since if you take too many turns it will start spamming Solar Beams thanks to it calling in a Castform with Sunny Day for backup.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
Just chiming in quickly to say I beat the Elite 4 earlier this week. Pretty fun! I was severely under-levelled going in the first time though, so I took a few good wallopings before coming out a winner. I've had a few goes in the online battle competition than ran over the weekend which was fun. Now I'm done with that I'm going to hit up the UBs and Battle Tree.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
Just chiming in quickly to say I beat the Elite 4 earlier this week. Pretty fun! I was severely under-levelled going in the first time though, so I took a few good wallopings before coming out a winner. I've had a few goes in the online battle competition than ran over the weekend which was fun. Now I'm done with that I'm going to hit up the UBs and Battle Tree.
So any final guesses on the spoiler we were discussing earlier?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
Minor spoilers, but I'm pretty sure one of these Pokemon was totally tailor-made for @Agent D.

What is this and how do I become it irl? Still not Bewear awesome, but damn if it isn't up there...

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
Just wanted to resurrect the cut-to-ugly conversation with this example...

Pikipek: cutest Pokemon ever.

Trumbeak: utterly hideous.

On the current topic, I would say the Grass Totem gave me the most trouble.  Meaning, one of my units was actually KOed during the battle.  Ghost Totem was fairly easy, pretty sure I just took it and its Haunter out in a few hits from Talonflame.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:44:25 AM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
So any final guesses on the spoiler we were discussing earlier?

Spoiler: show
Nanu
is my only remaining guess. I feel like it could fit. If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me what's correct! :)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #309 on: December 19, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Trumbeak is just the awkward middle stage.  After that, Toucannon looks glorious.

EDIT: As for the spoiler Andrew and co. are talking about, I always thought
it was Mohn, since the books and computer logs in Aether Paradise talk about a scientist studying other dimensions (namely Mohn), plus he too has that very distinctive platinum blonde hair that Lillie and Gladion have.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:45:15 PM by Dincrest »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »
Minor spoilers, but I'm pretty sure one of these Pokemon was totally tailor-made for @Agent D.

What is this and how do I become it irl? Still not Bewear awesome, but damn if it isn't up there...
It is called Mansquito...I mean Buzzwole. I don't know how you become one IRL, but you encounter it in the post-game in Sun.

Nanu
is my only remaining guess. I feel like it could fit. If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me what's correct! :)

Nope. Dincrest beat me to it, but I will say it anyways. The dad...is Mohn! *dundundun*

So the evidence is (in addition to hair-color) that there is a book in the Dimension Research Lab on the second island that mentions that Ultra Wormholes were discovered by a man named Mohn (Poke Pelego guy if the name doesn't immediately remind you who it is). Gladion (or at least I think it was him) mentions that his father was researching Ultra Wormholes. So that puts Mohn as being in the same field of research as Gladion's father.

Now then, you might be asking your computer screen right, "But Ranadiel, wasn't Gladion's father eaten by an Ultra Wormhole to wander the Ultra Dimension for all eternity." Excellent question that I hear from your hearts in the future! So here's the thing, we know of one other person who has returned from the Ultra Dimension. I can't nest spoiler blocks, so spoiler warning for the rest of the paragraph.  Anabelle is confirmed to have fallen out of an Ultra Wormhole (presumably from the Oldverse) and she has lost all of her memory.

So...Mohn probably wandered for a while, lost his memory and then got spit out near Poke Pelego. As further evidence (of sorts), there is an NPC at Aether Paradise who mentions that the current president's father loved Pokémon and founded Aether Foundation to protect them. Some people have thought this is talking about Lusamine's father...but you can only talk to them post-Gladion taking over, so the NPC is probably talking about Gladion's father. I think it would be accurate to describe Mohn as a lover of Pokémon who has spent his time building up Poke Pelego for Pokémon. So they kind of are similar in what little of personality we know.

In summary, Mohn used to research the same stuff as Gladion's father, has the same hair color (and kind of style) as Gladion, has a similar disposition to Gladion's father, and there is kind of an excuse as to why he would not stop events of the game. Therefore, if Gladion's father is in the game, Mohn is the father.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2016, 05:29:23 PM »
Ha! That's great. Would not have guessed. Thanks for the rundown!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2016, 09:43:07 PM »
Just finished up the second island on my Moon playthrough. I like the team that I have assembled right now.

-Incineroar
-Mudsdale
-A-Raichu
-Jangmo-o
-Rimbobee
-Brionne

Bred all of them except Incineroar on my Sun playthrough and have been using them since I could trade. Team is really starting to come together, although the weak point is easily Jangmo-o atm. Hopefully it will get better when it evolves.

Ha! That's great. Would not have guessed. Thanks for the rundown!
Slight correction, it was a researcher not a book on the second island, but w/e.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 20, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
@Agent D. I think this is what your island adventure team would look like.

Speaking of Moon, anybody here get that version aside from Ranadiel? Would be nice to find someone to swap exclusive UBs with. Seems like a lot of people went with Sun for the coolness factor of Solgaleo, heh.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 20, 2016, 09:37:51 AM »
If I ever get this generation, I'd probably go with Sun too, but only to avoid that ugly werewolf evolution for that one Pokemon.