Author Topic: Pokemon

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)
« Reply #315 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
You can actually get both Lycanrocs in either version, but you have the catch the one you can't evolve in the wild, and it doesn't show up until way late in the game.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »
Aaaaaand... my review is live!  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Pokemon_Sun_Moon/index.html

It's long, I know, but there's a lot to say about the game.  For most of you in this thread, the last paragraph is where I mention a plan to do a Nuzlocke run in Pokemon Moon summer 2017 and do a playlog for the site.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:09:11 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
Read through most of your review. I think you covered the game fairly well. Didn't see anything I particularly disagree with. Good job!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
Ultra nitpick- raising IVs is actually a totally new feature this gen (Hyper Training), but what they did was make it so that only Level 100 Pokemon can be Hyper Trained while simultaneously removing easy EXP grind spots like Restaurants or Blissey Secret Bases. The highest leveled trainers in the game are ~level 65 and it takes a while to get anything to level 100. Basically anybody looking to transfer when Pokemon Bank comes in January would be better off grinding their Pokemon in their old game before they do it if they plan on raising their IVs.

One thing I don't know if you ran into is how much more annoying it is to run away from battle this time around, not because they really changed any of the mechanics, but because a large portion of the Alola dex has really low Speed stats. Insert some joke about relaxing in Hawaii here. I guess since you used stuff like Gyarados it probably wasn't as big an issue, but I think they should probably rethink how escaping works or just make the Smoke Ball available early on.

Also curious, what would you consider the best Pokemon game, Din?

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 20, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
One thing I don't know if you ran into is how much more annoying it is to run away from battle this time around, not because they really changed any of the mechanics, but because a large portion of the Alola dex has really low Speed stats. Insert some joke about relaxing in Hawaii here. I guess since you used stuff like Gyarados it probably wasn't as big an issue, but I think they should probably rethink how escaping works or just make the Smoke Ball available early on.

I thought it had been more annoying this time around... Glad i'm not just going crazy.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #320 on: December 21, 2016, 05:58:33 AM »
Mudsdale was my MVP, but man was he a slowpoke (no pun intended). 

And my favorite Pokemon game was Y.  I logged almost 100 hours into that one. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 21, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
@Agent D. I think this is what your island adventure team would look like.
I like the random wishiwashi thrown in there...i'd have to substitute it for a snorlax though in terms of awesomeness. Otherwise....well done sir, I'm both impressed and slightly aroused by the awesomness of this team.

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »
@Agent D. I think this is what your island adventure team would look like.
I like the random wishiwashi thrown in there...i'd have to substitute it for a snorlax though in terms of awesomeness. Otherwise....well done sir, I'm both impressed and slightly aroused by the awesomness of this team.
Have you seen the ridiculous awesomeness of school form Wishiwashi? I think it fits with the rest of the team better than a Snorlax.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #323 on: December 21, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
Plus, the team now is all gen 7 Alola pokemon, which is cool.  A gen 1 Snorlax or a gen 3 Slaking just wouldn't fit in as well, thematically.

In terms of personal Pokemon updates, I'm shelving Pokemon till I Nuzlocke Moon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:03:18 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 21, 2016, 08:06:26 PM »
@Agent D. Like Ranadiel said, you clearly don't know about Wishiwashi's special ability.

As for myself, I've been working on catching the guardians. I'm catching them in specific balls because I have OCD I guess, so lots and lots of soft reseting for me.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 21, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
@Agent D. Like Ranadiel said, you clearly don't know about Wishiwashi's special ability.
I know about the school form, but snorlax is more like me. I'm not talking about super battle teams, I meant in just terms of pure radness.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #326 on: December 23, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Although Sun/Moon had one of the better and more memorable ensemble casts in the Pokemon series, after this and X/Y, two entries with "friendly" rivals, I'd like to see a return to the "jerk/bully" rival in a future installment.  Gen 1's Gary (Blue in the game) being an entitled, privileged, spoiled brat who thinks he's all that and a bag of Doritos because he's "Daddy's little rich boy" made me want to pummel his smug and condescending face in because he exemplifies an archetype that I despise.   Gen 2's Silver (who Paul was based on in the anime), was even worse in that he was an abusive trainer who mistreated his pokemon horribly.  Being an insufferable dick to people is one thing, but abusing animals goes too far.  I didn't just want to punch him, I wanted to obliterate him!

What are others' thoughts on rivals? 
     -Peppermint Patty

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 23, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »
I liked how Sun and Moon handled the rival role. It basically has both archetypes of "rival" and does both of them competently. Hau handles the position of the "friendly" rival and Gladion handles the role of the "jerk" rival. Gladion certainly isn't as much of a jerk as Silver, but they do have some similarities with their obsession over power and transition to having an affection evolve on their team when you last face them.

On the "friendly" rival side of things, Hau was a lot less annoying to me than some previous friendly rivals. After XY I hated the idea of friendly rivals because I felt like I kicked a puppy every time I had to listen to Serena complain about not being able to fulfill her dreams. Hau however manages to be a friendly rival who you don't feel bad beating. And heck I've actually read about people wiping to him at the start of the third island (and apparently the game acknowledges your loss to him rather than booting you back to refight him).

I guess my overall feeling is that I think they got it great this time, but I do think mixing the rival archetype every game is a good idea so things don't get stale. I don't care whether the next rival is friendly or jerky. Just as long as we don't get another Serena if we get a friendly rival.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #328 on: December 23, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
I played as a girl in Y, so I can't remember what Calem's rival dialogue was like.  Shauna was insufferable, though. 

As for Gladion, while he's quite brusque and lacks social graces, he struck me more as a victim of circumstance that I felt sorry for.  Even the Team Skull grunts dissed him, and he could wipe the floor with them.  Gladion is not someone I'd want to go to Tahiti with, but I didn't dislike the guy.  Given what I learned about him in the plot, I couldn't see him as any other way.  And I liked the dynamic between him and Hau- how Hau is laid back, perhaps too laid back to a fault, and Gladion calls him out for not putting forth his 100% most serious efforts. 

And I had no idea that the third-island Hau battle could go either way.  That's a pretty nice change from the typical "victory is the only option to advance the plot."  Even speculating on my future Nuzlocke, I could see the Iki Town festival battle with Hau in the beginning of the game potentially being a killer if, say, the only pokemon I hypothetically have are Popplio and Pikipek because he opens with Pichu- who has a serious type advantage over both.

Whether it's a friendly rival, a jerk rival, or a wildcard rival, so long as they're well-written, it's fine.  EDIT: But a part of me wants a vile "love to hate" rival like Silver or Gary again.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:34:53 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »
And I had no idea that the third-island Hau battle could go either way.  That's a pretty nice change from the typical "victory is the only option to advance the plot."  Even speculating on my future Nuzlocke, I could see the Iki Town festival battle with Hau in the beginning of the game potentially being a killer if, say, the only pokemon I hypothetically have are Popplio and Pikipek because he opens with Pichu- who has a serious type advantage over both.

Whether it's a friendly rival, a jerk rival, or a wildcard rival, so long as they're well-written, it's fine.
I think it might be that all of his battles can go either way, but the third island is when his Pichu hits Raichu, and that causes a difficulty spike that people aren't expecting. So a lot of people went in unexpecting it, and so I saw a lot of posts about it. Could be wrong on that though as I did not lose to him at any point.