Author Topic: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)
« Reply #330 on: December 24, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
I never lost to Hau either, so this is news to me.  And if hypothetical losses to Hau don't elicit a Game Over and could be construed as scripted losses because the main plot still moves forward, how would that affect a Nuzlocke?  Hmmm......

Sidebar: Shauna reminded me of something else that I liked about Sun/Moon.  I played Sun as a girl and the story and dialogue all made sense.  This is big for me, because one of my pet peeves is when a game allows you to choose a male or female avatar, but dialogue scripting remains unchanged, making for scenarios that make no sense.  It bugs me when the game assumes my avatar is a boy even though I chose the girl.

With Y, I played as a girl but there were some cutscenes with Shauna that came off as really awkward because the writers intended her to be a romantic interest (for the boy) and were like, "Oh crap, the player could choose to play as a girl.  We gotta fudge this somehow..."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:04:59 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 24, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
I didn't get any Game Overs myself, and I turned off EXP Share and put battles on Set mode. The former didn't seem to impact as much this time because they put in a BW style exp curving system though, which is why the Oricorio on my team I hatched way late-game still managed to catch up in levels to the rest of my team. I did notice they put in alternate dialogue in places if you don't use your Z-Move to win certain battles, so I guess they wanted to give a nod to players who do self-challenges.

As for Rivals, I don't mind either a jerk or friendly rival for the future, but I'd like them to continue having decent backstories like the characters from SM.

The XY friends had pretty much nothing going for them for me- they had no interesting backstory but they weren't even fun to interact with. Trevor and Tierno pretty much only ever showed up to give you free items, Shauna was an obnoxiously written waifu character, and every time you beat Serena/Calem you feel like you're actually the jerk rival of the story. I feel like they wasted a lot of time when it should've went to expand on Diantha/Lysandre/AZ's characters, who all had way more interesting premises/interactions.

The big downside I see for the S/M group is that they sometimes have cutscenes that are way too long (unskippable cutscenes at that), especially Lillie. As discussed earlier, Hau and Gladion appear to be pretty straightforward characters at first, but get a backstory to flesh them out and explain why they act the way they do. I especially liked Gladion because for me he was a funny chuuni character instead of a straight up jerk, and you learn enough about him to know he's a big softie inside.

Spoiler: show
Also while I agree there's some similarities between Silver and Gladion, I think they're mostly superficial. Gladion's motivations were always noble and Null getting an affection evolution is a bit of irony for Lusamine where if she had actually shown any care, the Type: Full experiment actually would've been a success.

I do think I lean towards wanting another actual jerk rival again though, since it's been a long while since they've had one, and it'd be interesting to get one with a developed backstory and everything.

As for what I've been doing, after chucking my Master Ball at Necrozma and the mirror Cosmog, I've gotten as many new Pokemon as I've can without just buying Moon (or finding someone to trade with). Well, except for Alolan Sandslash, since I used my Ice Stone on a Vulpix and I'm too busy trying to find Bottlecaps in Pelago to get more stones.

Also been trying to get the 50-win streak in battle tree, but I keep losing around 35 trainers in.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #332 on: December 24, 2016, 01:18:51 PM »
I just found out I could buy a Team Skull tanktop in Po Town, so I did.  The clothing options in Alola weren't as appealing as those in Kalos, but that Team Skull tank was worth 10,000 PokeDollars.  ...I'm such a girl. </ sarcastic shrug>

EDIT: And, yeah, the friends in X/Y were pretty much paper dolls. 

EDIT2: And speaking of the Shauna/ Lillie contrast again, that's why I liked the plot of Sun/Moon.  Lillie
Spoiler: show
did not couple off with main or anyone at the end (though it's hinted that Hau had a little crush on her).  She became a strong independent girl.  Plus, her interactions with my main (a girl) felt believable, in that having a strong independent girl (my main) as her first real friend inspired her to find her own strength.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:55:03 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »
It bugs me when the game assumes my avatar is a boy even though I chose the girl.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth has irreparably damaged Din.

(unskippable cutscenes at that)

Thank you.  What is this garbage?  Late 2016 RPGs with unskippable cutscenes.  Utterly, utterly inexcusable.  There really does seem to be a lot of laziness in the details of this game's design.  And yet, the game is so good.

On the topic of losing, I have yet to lose a single battle in the story, but I came awfully close once.... to Guzma of all people!  I had just revamped my party with a couple of new units, and simply was not expecting the next story section to be quite so intense.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Arvis- that issue has bugged me long before Cyber Sleuth and will probably bug me long after. 

I feel like my "pink Game Boy Advance" story is relevant to that sidebar topic, if you want to hear it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 27, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
So... on my lunch break, someone sent me a Kartana through Wonder Trade....    o____o
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
Dude, I've gotten some amazing 'mon through Wonder Trades.  It's like, people finally learned from their mistakes in X/Y and didn't just overload the trading pools with Luvdiscs.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 05, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
Well, I'm trying to get an Eevee to evolve into an Espeon and it's a massive pain.

Apparently 5 Hearts affection means... nothing?  And there are hidden "Friendship Points" that you get with your mons that you can't see and are never explained but apparently decide whether or not I get this Espeon.

I get that the Pokemon culture has accepted such things, but the amount of critical information that the game withholds from the player is utterly ridiculous.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Be careful or you're gonna get a Sylveon if you maxed out its affection hearts.

Affection and Friendliness are two different stats

To get a Sylveon you need 2 hearts of Affection and level it up while it knows a Fairy-Type move.

To get Espeon, you need to have High Friendship and level it up during the day time. Friendship is built by using the pokemon in battle, not letting it faint, getting haircuts, walking a certain amount with it in the party, giving it vitamins,  etc etc. Nice things. Giving it a Soothe Bell will speed it up.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »
Yeah, I made sure it has no Fairy type moves.  Thanks.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
Yeah I guess long-time players do take for granted a lot of crazy feature creep the series has. They should really go back and fix how some of it works instead of piling on more pointless features each gen. Overall I feel like Z-Moves were kind of a pointless addition because they're mostly just big damage nukes and there's only like 3 or 4 status moves that change into something interesting.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
Overall I feel like Z-Moves were kind of a pointless addition because they're mostly just big damage nukes and there's only like 3 or 4 status moves that change into something interesting.

Agreed. Also, compared to using a good held item, I find them generally not all that helpful.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
I get the need for Fairy typing to balance out Dragon, but it was a poorly thought-out concept in X/Y and remains poorly thought out.  I also feel that Dark typing has gotten overly nerfed.  Pokemon doesn't need any more new typings, but the current ones need to be rebalanced.  I'm also trying to figure out why my Decidueye can't learn fly despite being an owl.  I know flightless birds exist, but as far as I know, all owls can fly.

Festival Plaza needs to be revised as well.  I like the idea of it, but it wasn't very well executed.

I also would like to see the mechanic of wild pokemon calling for reinforcements nixed.  Or at least let me call in a reinforcement too. 

And Leftovers > Z-Crystal any day of the week. 

PokeRide needs to stay, though.  Not having to keep HM slaves was nice. 

And, as mentioned in my review, Contests need to return.  And I'm talking the lavish pomp of ORAS Contests. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
Leftovers?

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Leftovers

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Combo (Basically, you give leftovers to Snorlax or any pokemon with high HP and its durability and defense skyrocket.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:55:18 PM by Dincrest »