Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
The "So Bad It's Good" thread
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
To piggyback off of Klyde's "You're totally my type, but I'm just not that into you" thread, let's talk about games, music, books, comics, manga, movies, anime, etc. that we would classify as "so bad it's good."  

My pick for a movie that's so bad it's good is Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.  And although most adult males around my age god-worship movies like Billy Madison and Dumb & Dumber, they are definitely "so bad they're good" in my estimation.  

In terms of music, I thought that Ween song "Push th' Little Daisies" was terrible.  I agreed with Beavis & Butt-head's skewering of that song/video.  But somehow it's annoying-ness grew on me and is definitely a song that's so bad it's good.  

I'm sure I'll think of more things I find "so bad they're good" (other than anything Ed Wood who's the patron saint of "so bad it's good") so let's hear some of yours.  

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:30:31 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: The "So Bad It's Good" thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »
I've never understood this phenomenon. In my opinion, if I enjoyed something then I thought it was good, regardless of what I may recognize as elements that may normally make something bad. Sure, I can agree that some things can be so very bad there is entertainment value in enjoying witnessing just how bad it is (hence MST3K), but I find that usually requires the company of friends, and since I don't really have any...

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »
American food.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
American food.

... ...
... ... ...

... ... ... You win this round.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
I think the Schwarzenegger movie Commando is pretty the archetype for films that fit the so bad they're good mold.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »
I think Schwarzenegger movies are pretty much the archetype for films that fit the so bad they're good mold.
I updated your post to make it more accurate.

TASTY!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:11:29 AM »
The Big Hit, starring Mark Wahlberg and Lou Diamond Philips.  The whole movie tries really, really hard to make Wahlberg's look good; he plays Melvin Smiley, a badass hitman that is so eager-to-please that he can't refuse favors from his friends or women.  Philips plays one of Smiley's co-workers, Sisko, and the performance is so over-the-top ridiculous that I swear LDP is the only actor who realizes how silly the movie actually is and just rolled with it.  The love interest was played by a Chinese-American model named China Chow who I don't think was in any movie ever again.  It's awful and I love it.  I watch The Big Hit like twice a year. 

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:46 AM »
I feel this way about the fever-dream videos of amateur animator and youtube sensation WendyVainity (now known as madcatlady). I've lost count of the number of times I've watched Tom R Toe. She gets a bit meta here.

On the topic of youtube, the rapper Viper. Viper is not a "good" musician but I found his output super listenable, and not even in an ironic fashion. He's put out something like 300 free albums in the past 5 years, so it's easy to fall down a Viper hole.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
I think Schwarzenegger movies are pretty much the archetype for films that fit the so bad they're good mold.
I updated your post to make it more accurate.

I agree with the updated post, but I also agree that Commando is one of the better "so bad it's good" Arnold movies. I mean, the part where he throws the skill saw blade and shaves off part of a dude's head is like action movie history.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm surprised Battlefield Earth wasn't already mentioned. You'd think that would be the first thing that comes up (aside from maybe The Room). It's one of the most incredible films I've ever seen. This is my favorite scene.

The Wicker Man is another common pick, for good reason. Even if you ignore the famous NOT THE BEES scene it's hilarious just seeing Nicholas Cage running around punching the crap out of old ladies.

As for games, a lot of those early flash games on Newgrounds and the like tended to be under this category. This one always comes to mind. I always get a good laugh watching a friend play it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
I'm surprised Battlefield Earth wasn't already mentioned. You'd think that would be the first thing that comes up (aside from maybe The Room). It's one of the most incredible films I've ever seen. This is my favorite scene.

The Wicker Man is another common pick, for good reason. Even if you ignore the famous NOT THE BEES scene it's hilarious just seeing Nicholas Cage running around punching the crap out of old ladies.

As for games, a lot of those early flash games on Newgrounds and the like tended to be under this category. This one always comes to mind. I always get a good laugh watching a friend play it.
Battlefield Earth is just bad though. Like...in every way. It single-handedly destroyed the word "leverage" for me.

TASTY!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
What's battlefield earth? I stopped following that series when it quit being about WW2.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:06:52 AM »
Oh yeah, Battlefield Earth is a genuinely terrible movie. It's also hilarious. It's just incredible to behold because every time I watch it I'm amazed that it was created by a human being.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
Kung Pow?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Kung Pow?

Why the question mark?
You should have more confidence in that entry, because it certainly is a terrible film... terribly excellent! My wife and I love that movie. It's incredibly quotable, if nothing else.
"My ass... AH-HA-HA-HA-HA- ENOUGH!!"