Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Foreign languages.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Foreign languages.  (Read 3560 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

I imagine that a community formed around playing games that predominately come from Japan, at least a few of you out there are interested in studying foreign languages for various reasons ;) Anyone, eh?

Myself, though, I'm taking Russian, and studying German on my own. I'm significantly better at the German. The way things get said in Russian looks sort of closer to English though, oddly enough.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »

I've been studying Korean now for about 2 years.  Also as part of my major I need to take Japanese.  I'm alot better in Korean, but alot of it comes from the lack of enthusiasm towards Japanese.  It's not that Idon't want to learn it, but I can't handle doing 2 languages at once on top of everything else.    Anyway, according to a friend I'm at the level of a second grader.  I'd think that's pretty good for 2 years considering I have almost no exposure to the language outside of movies and music.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »

I took German for about 5.5 years (half a year in 7th grade, and from 8th-12th grade.)  I even entered some German speaking competitions and took home a prize in one.  

I took Japanese for a year in high school and 2 in university.  Kanji was the bane of my existence.  Though I think if I had learned it via deconstruction (the radicals) I'd have done better with it, but I was taught it through rote memorization which wasn't effective.  

I've forgotten a lot of those, but I did have some opportunities to use German when I had a German speaking student in one class I was teaching and I have some Japanese friends here (but I don't talk to them enough, and when I do it's about grad-level stuff that I don't know the Japanese to.)  

I want to learn Spanish, though, since more and more I find myself plying my educational craft in more Spanish-speaking communities.  Definitely a useful language to have in my arsenal.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »

Wow, as far as kanji goes for me, it's the complete opposite.  It's the one good thing that's come out of Japanese for me.  And the reason is purely because of Korean.  Since I already know most of the korean words, once I learn the pronounciation in Korean for the kanji it's pretty solid in my mind.  Of cousre this does nothing for me in Japanese except knowing hte meaning because I forget the different pronounciations in Japanese.  I think I should have opted for Chinese instead of Japanese...
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »

I took four semesters of Spanish in college, making As across the board, which was an incredible rarity.

On a good day, I can muster up enough retained Spanish to count to ten.

Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:37 PM »

I've been "learning" for three years. None of my teachers were/are very good at teaching me Spanish. My Spanish is horrible and so is my accent.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »

I was raised with both Armenian and Russian being spoken by the family and once we moved to the US of A (what is it now, a dozen years ago, I suppose), I had to (obviously) get with the program and learn English. Took Italian for three years in high school, although I can't remember much of it nowadays. Been taking Japanese for the past three and a half years and it's okay, I guess, but kanji is still a bitch. But that's probably because I never take the time to sit down and actually study the damn things.

I kinda want to learn Korean but fricking language classes are every day and I'm not about to make the commute for a single class that doesn't even count for my major. Perhaps I'll look into it when I get to grad school.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:42 PM »

I am fluent in Chinese, half fluent in Japanese, and am currently attempting Spanish and German.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:51 PM »

I always wanted to be a linguistics major.  I find languages fascinating.

I took 2 years of Spanish in highschool
3 years or so of Japanese in college.

I'd love to take:

-Swedish or Finnish (I think Scandinavian languages are interesting)
-German

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »

In my prime I was as close as I could get to fluent in Spanish without being immersed in the language, having taken classes from 4th-12th grade.

I've done three semesters of Japanese. Apparently I can speak it passably, but I'm pretty much content with saying WATASHI WA JONES SAN!!! GET ME SOME FUCKING PIE DESU!!! or something like that. I feel bad for my teachers. (I get A's though)

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 11:45:33 PM »

I've taken about four semesters of Spanish in middle and high school. I guess that's about 2 years.

Depending on the situation I can understand enough Spanish to get the gist of what someone is saying but when it comes to speaking it I can never find the words. I was never really serious about learning it though.

I plan on taking Japanese in college but I don't know if I'll have the motivation to stick with it. Something tells me no but I'm going to try anyways :P
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »

I've been taught to speak Malay since the first grade (before that, I only knew a page worth of phrases) and I speak it well. Not as good as most of the Malay girls in my class but during my last year of High School, I got B's and A's mainly. I fail at speaking because of my accent-- makes me sound foreign to people. :-/

Know how to count in Mandarin/Chinese and interested in learning another Asian language (Japanese?) and a European language.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »

I took three years of Spanish and can form most basic sentences still. I know how to conjugate gerunds and if I really sat down I could figure out Past and Future tense again. Amazingly, I retained ahuge amount of the vocab I learned.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 09:40:44 AM »

For classes I've taken French, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin. Learned totally random bits of Indonesian and Dutch from parents, and learning random bits of Greek last summer while in Greece (go figure)made me want to take a class, but I never did.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »

I speak an old dialect of Romanian called Aromanian. I was taught by my parents since childhood. I'm a Vlach. They primarily lived in mountain villages, away from the large cities, and kept their culture to themselves. In essence, they were (and still are, to this day) nomads. Most of them are typically shepherds in the Balkan region.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: