Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:02:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340989 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Foreign languages.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Foreign languages.  (Read 3621 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »

I've just took a random adult education course in Japanese on a random impulse a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, and given the difficulty of the language that should tell you how little was actually taught. And even most of that's been forgoten and I'm back down to the 'Zomg kawaii neko-chan sugoi! =^_^= ' internet level Japanese.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 01:43:51 PM »

lol internet level japanese.  I've also heard it be called japanophile japanese, or otaku japanese.  

As for me I grew up speaking English and Arabic.  My parents only speak to me in Arabic and I learned English on TV, so when I first went to Kindergarten, I was shocked to discover everyone outside of my family spoke "TV speak".  Other than that I took German in high school and Japanese here and there in community colleges and such.  I can still understand German, but my Japanese is only a few phrases now.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 02:08:47 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
lol internet level japanese.  I've also heard it be called japanophile japanese, or otaku japanese.  

As for me I grew up speaking English and Arabic.  My parents only speak to me in Arabic and I learned English on TV, so when I first went to Kindergarten, I was shocked to discover everyone outside of my family spoke "TV speak".  Other than that I took German in high school and Japanese here and there in community colleges and such.  I can still understand German, but my Japanese is only a few phrases now.

You learned English from watching TV? Obviously as kids we can pick up languages like sponges soak up water, but do you remember exactly how you did it? Did continually watching TV lead to you picking up words individually, or did you learn more by general meaning?

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »

I'm surprised and at the same time impressed that so many people around here have studied German at one point or the other. As a native speaker, I sometimes feel sorry for foreigners trying to master German. All the rules and exceptions are anything but easy to comprehend or remember, even for many native speakers. If I was a foreigner, I probably wouldn't want to study German :P.

I have studied English (nine years) and Latin (five years) in school, and then Japanese and some Chineses at university. Having lived in Japan for a year and visiting the country at least once a year certainly helped me in my studies of Japanese.

Sadly, little is left from my Latin skills. Then again I don't really need it anymore. I made an admittingly more than half-assed attempt to learn French years ago, but quickly abandoned that evening course.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"

You learned English from watching TV? Obviously as kids we can pick up languages like sponges soak up water, but do you remember exactly how you did it? Did continually watching TV lead to you picking up words individually, or did you learn more by general meaning?

I honestly don't remember, it just happened.  Seems VERY common children as small as 3-5 can really pick that stuff up.  I do owe alot to Sesame Street though. :3

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »

-Swedish or Finnish (I think Scandinavian languages are interesting)

Yeah, I wanna take both sometime. Shame the two have nothing in common beyond the odd loan word here and there. Wouldn't be as easy as taking, say, Swedish and Norwegian, which are rather closely related :)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
-Swedish or Finnish (I think Scandinavian languages are interesting)

Yeah, I wanna take both sometime. Shame the two have nothing in common beyond the odd loan word here and there.

Yeah I've heard that.  I knew some people from Finland and they told me that learning Swedish was a lot harder than learning English.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »

Yeah, Finnish and Swedish are more or less nothing alike. I have no chance whatsoever to understand what a Finn is saying when he or she talks in her native language, while I can quite easily understand Norwegian and Danish.

Uh, as for me, I obviously speak Swedish and English. I did take a few years of German in school, but have forgotten all of it by now. There are a lot of languages that I would like to learn - Latin, Japanese, Hebrew - but I will most likely never have the patience to.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
Quote from: "Marshmallow"

I honestly don't remember, it just happened.  Seems VERY common children as small as 3-5 can really pick that stuff up.  I do owe alot to Sesame Street though. :3

Doesn't surprise me.  My mother learned english the same way, and she was 16.  There was little support for her in school, and she got no support from kids, so basically sesame street taught her english.  She's from Haiti and speaks Creole, which I can understand but not speak at all though I'd love to learn one day.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:53 AM »

Well, Finnish is Uralic and Swedish is Indo-European (specifically, Germanic, meaning it's related to English). Finnish is related to, uh, Estonian, Hungarian, and a few smaller Uralic languages. English and Swedish are genetically closer to Hindi and Persian than they are to Finnish.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
I'm surprised and at the same time impressed that so many people around here have studied German at one point or the other. As a native speaker, I sometimes feel sorry for foreigners trying to master German. All the rules and exceptions are anything but easy to comprehend or remember, even for many native speakers. If I was a foreigner, I probably wouldn't want to study German :P.

Honestly, I found German language rules (and most exceptions that I learned) to be straightforward if not obvious.  On the other hand, I had to learn by example on a lot of the pronounciation, and still get absolutely flustered over the ginormous compound words.

It was fun learning German, though.  Even more fun drinking beer in Germany while attempting to learn German.  :)

As for other languages -- I've picked up a small amount of Japanese through osmosis, and forgotten most of my Spanish.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

I've studied a few, but can't remember anything :P

My dad's Greek and all our relatives on his side have, erm, difficulty with English, so we've tried their lingo. I think I went to an evening Greek school for five or six years. Now, I'm lucky if I remember how to say "goodnight."

In school I've taken French and Spanish, and can't remember anything from those, either (reading it is easier than listening for me, still).

And I had a class in Gaelic when I was younger and my family and I lived in Ireland. As soon as we moved back to America I forgot it all.

[/url]
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »

I guess I could say I have studied English for 9 years, but the truth is the level of the English classes I am forced to follow isn't exactly amazing. Many people in my class have difficulties constructing sentences and their vocabulary is very basic. I learned a lot more on forums like these and I am sure videogames have something to do with my level of fluency too.

Other than English (and Dutch, which is my native language) I can speak some German and French. Well, not speak exactly, I can never find the words I need. But I can read German just fine, I have read some German literature for my own enjoyment. On the other hand, my French is absolutely horrible, I don't understand how I managed to get a 73/100 in the end.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

Yeesh, is anyone here NOT trying to learn Japanese. Comes with the territory I guess.

I speak spanish, italian and french. Italian is the most useless language on earth, all we ever tell each other is "you're breaking my balls"
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »

i'm resistant to the idea of learning spanish because i hate how accomidating companies here are to spanish speakers. i doubt if i went to japan that there would be an entire channel dedicated to english speakers,or english language menus' etc. i know a few german words because i have german ansestory and mom has this picture on her fridge of her grandparents grave that says vatter and mutter(sp?) my girlfriend is japaneese so i know some japaneese if its spoken or written in katakana but not a lick of kanji.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: