Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Apple announces iPhone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Apple announces iPhone  (Read 2575 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:02:02 AM »

A day late, but you can see it here. PvP and Penny-Arcade have both done comics on it. Thoughts on the iPhone?
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:23:56 AM »

I'm going to get a new phone tomorrow. Too bad this fucker's not out, nor can I find an estimated price for it or I might have waited. Oh well.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:24 AM »

Best. Thing. Ever.

The only drawback is the cingular-only plan. While I understand that cingular is a pretty huge network, I kind of wish more companies had access to it. It seems silly to limit the carrier -- though really, this could all change by the time the iPhone ships.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:32 AM »

I want one....:P

No, seriously. I've heard something like 499 US for the 4GB and 599 US for 8 GB. Not sure how true that is, but if I had the money to spare...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »

Quote from: "kyuusei"
I want one....:P

No, seriously. I've heard something like 499 US for the 4GB and 599 US for 8 GB. Not sure how true that is, but if I had the money to spare...

That's what I read too.  Plenty of room unless you want to put Prince's discography on there or something.

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
The only drawback is the cingular-only plan. While I understand that cingular is a pretty huge network, I kind of wish more companies had access to it. It seems silly to limit the carrier -- though really, this could all change by the time the iPhone ships.

Look at the Razr or however they spell it.  It was originally cingular only and now it's verizon too.  I'm sure the iPhone will switch too.  I'm kinda happy that Cingular has it instead of Verizon.  Verizon tends to lock down features more so than Cingular and I don't want to use Verizon's services.

And I want one as well.  By the time my contract is up the price should have come down by then.  By then everyone will have one though =P

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 01:01:47 AM »

ArsTechnica pretty much sums up everything I think about the "iPhone" and ya know what? I think Apple may have failed for once. I love Apple and all (hell I only have a PC for a couple games) and I have owned three iPods (in varying models) and obviously it is a far more superior company than its competators....but man........

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/10/6559

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »

While it's sleek and very very cool looking, it still has its downsides. Firstly, it's a Mac. Now I know there are some Mac people on this board, but I can't stand iTunes and its brethren that I need to install on my PC to make it work. No 3G? No expandable memory slot? No wireless syncing with your computer? Also, it won't run software that isn't approved by Apple. Well, not until someone hacks it anyways. Adding to that is that it costs as much as a PS3 WITH a 2 year plan. I can only imagine the cost without one.

Personally, I'm much more interested in this.
Does almost everything the iPhone does, minus the phone part (although it does have VOIP), runs Windows CE, has an SD slot, and supports a lot more video/audio formats. And won't cost $600 (hopefully).
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:25:42 AM »

I more or less doubt that it only runs "Apple approved" software. It's running OS X, so there's no reason the OS would be locked out. As to the WiFi thing, I see that as something they'll fix within one generation. It simply won't make sense not to. Don't forget, this is the first time Apple has stepped into this arena. They're going to have to learn a couple of things.

Also, the price point is bound to come down, and it's perfectly justifiable. A brand new Blackberry or Treo will run you near $400-500 and they're behind what the iPhone can do. Don't be surprised if new models of either come out quite swiftly featuring similar input layouts as the iPhone.

The 3G thing is undoubtedly a drawback however, and I hope they address that somehow soon.

Either way, I don't think the iPhone will "fail" by any standards. Don't forget that Slashdot panned the iPod when it first came out, and it's gone on to be tremendously successful, despite price point, features, etc, merely because of ease of use, functionality, and aesthetic appeal. I think the iPhone will be much the same way.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »

I find it superfluous. Nobody needs that many functions on their phone. If someone buys it to be both a phone and an mp3 player, it'll just have an absurdly low battery life. At best it's an overpriced phone and a halfassed iPod rolled into one for an atrocious price. From the price estimates I'm hearing you can get a full iPod AND a decent workable phone for the same price.

Whatever happened to phones just being phones?

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 05:15:05 AM »

a phone that costs as much as a ps3? lawl.

Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:00:18 AM »

FINGERPRINTS.

[/url]
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:57 AM »

I detest phones of any kind, but even if I didn't the price is ridiculous.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »

Maybe we should go over this again.

The Blackberry, Treo, and other such smartphones all cost around $350-$450, even with yearly contracts. Can you get them cheaper? Yes. But they've also been on the market for years now. The price has come down due to exposure and competition. The iPhone is brand new and features an interface no one else has. That pretty much justifies cost. Don't want a smartphone? Well then don't get one. This isn't meant to be a standard-level cellphone like most of us will buy. It's meant to be a smartphone.

Superfluous functions? No. Maybe for you because your lifestyle and business practises don't require such a device. Many people DO however, evidenced by the widespread use of smartphones. Also, most have the same average battery life.

I understand where most of the complaints come from, but you gotta do your research first. The iPhone is not for the standard consumer. It's a speciality business product like the Blackberry or Treo.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Maybe we should go over this again.

The Blackberry, Treo, and other such smartphones all cost around $350-$450, even with yearly contracts.

That's worth mentioning.  With a 2 year contract, the price could end up coming down a lot too.    $500/600 is probably the price if you just bought the phone outright.  They always overcharge when you buy a phone and you aren't renewing your contract.

I agree with your last paragraph too.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »

That's business-ese for "It'll sell like steamed shit in a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, so we have to market it for the wealthy to counter our ridiculous price."

Sorry, Mark, I remember the cost of the Blackberry when it first came out, and there wasn't any $600 model. That's a ridiculous price, and it'll take a lot for people to spend that kind of money on a phone that doesn't do much more than the smartphone they already have.

This phone seems to be targeting one specific audience: The diehard Apple buyer who will justify any purchase with an Apple logo on it. The hard drive is nice, but that doesn't make it worth $600. For christ's sake, I can buy a 20 gig MP3 player AND a cell phone with bluetooth, 3G, wi-fi, removable memory and whatever else the iPhone won't have, all for less than the high-end model. Plus, I can go download games for that phone. Can't do that with Apple's toy.

I'll wait for them to inevitably drop their price and bring out a better one, screwing over everyone who purchases the initial models. Just like the iPod!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: