Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
The RPG Pet Peeves thread- 2016 edition
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
Yes, I know we have these often (though we haven't in a LONG time) and they often turn to garbage, but I think with the level of maturity and stability we've shown in the "I want to love you, but I hate you" and "Unpopular opinions of popular games/media" threads, I thought we could do this again.  

I'll start.

1) I'm not at all liking the modern trend of small fonts and menu interfaces that sacrifice ergonomics for style.  I miss the days of large fonts and still wonder why video game option screens do not have adjustments to make the fonts bigger for easier reading.  Gust has been the biggest offender here since the days of Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Idea Factory is a big offender here too.  Actually, a lot of companies are big offenders here.  

2) The lack of a quicksave feature in handheld games.  I'm okay with save points, because sometimes without them I'll go forever and forget to save, only to mess up and lose progress.  That's why I liked how Maya's "spidey sense" in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment would tingle in the presence of a boss, so I knew to save, since that game had anywhere saving.  But, yes, I have played handheld games in recent years that lacked a quicksave to facilitate gaming on the go.  

3) When I choose/create a female protagonist avatar, but the game's dialogue remains unchanged and still addresses my avatar as if she's a guy.  That comes across as a lazy cop-out filled with assumptions.  This one's become a bit of a biggie for me.   Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology did that.  I created a female avatar for that game.  Then I encountered this one mission was where Stahn requested to spar with me because he didn't want to spar with Rutee because she was a girl and he didn't like to hit girls.  I looked at the screen dumbfounded because, well, my avatar WAS a girl.  Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth does this too.  I chose the girl and the dialogue stays the same, referring to her by male pronouns.  

On the other hand, in Pokemon Y, I chose a girl trainer and I liked that NPCs talked to my character as if she were a girl. Folth (boy) and Arca (girl) followed the exact same storyline path in Summon Night 5, but their conversations with NPCs differed based on their gender.  Fate/Extra was great about taking my character's gender into account.  I was about to scream "cop out!" when a female character spoke to my avatar as if she was flirting with a guy, but when one of the dialogue choices read, "Ummm... you know I'm a girl, right?" I smiled.  

4) It's also no secret that I'm not a fan of "chainmail bikinis" and other such impractically skimpy attire on female characters.  It's especially bad when teenage characters are dressed like Stripperella.  Even in comic books, I want to see the female superheroes in more pragmatic crime-fighting attire without "boob windows."  Give the ladies some REAL armor.  I always use Maya from Septerra Core as an example of "best dressed RPG heroine."  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:38:25 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: The RPG Pet Peeves thread- 2016 edition
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
Though its not really exclusive to RPGs, since most of the offenders have RPG elements, I'm going to mention it:

I *HATE* ranked rewards in F2P mobile/browser games. They're a stupid, lazy way to create a "'have's and 'have not's" environment "encouraging" players to spend money. There are plenty of successful examples of games that give every player a shot at getting rewards from events without resorting to making players compete with each other for an arbitrarily limited number of prizes. They make money the same way successful free to play MMOs do, by offering convenience instead of exclusivity. Want that prize from this event but don't want to spend the two or three hours a day it's going to take to get it? Spend a few bucks for this boost that will help you get the best stuff faster, and you don't have to worry about spending the money and then still losing that prize to someone who just happened to spend more money than you.

Also, inconsistent voiced vs. unvoiced dialogue:

I understand that VAs cost money, and the more spoken lines in a game the more costly its going to be. But please plan out ahead of time which lines are going to be spoken and which are not and make sure there's some kind of rule or organized consistency for your choices. One of the few truly glaring problems in Trails of Cold Steel are scenes where characters will bounce wildly between spoken lines and unspoken lines and it just feels messy when I see that in games.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:23:12 PM by Klutz64 »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
0. New rule - If a game has dogs or wolves, you're not allowed to kill them.

1. The way that being delightful is out of style and everybody's gotta be all Johnny Badass in a gritty fantasy world where all the trees are really pretty but everyone's dead and miserable. It's like, bro, you got a story about saving this world, but nobody's gonna want to form emotional attachments to said world if everything's all irreparably terrible there, now :(*

2. The way that using GPUs as secret space heaters is in style so everything's covered in millions of shaders that cause like a 5-10FPS hit to put some shadows on the grass, when you could've just done the same thing by just putting some shadows on the grass textures.

3. The way everything's this photobashed mess that looks like everything else because art direction is hard.

4. That thing where everything has to be voice acted but voice acting's expensive so let's just take general directions out of the NPC dialogue and put it in the quest journal secretly, because that's not at all confusing!

5. The way that everything's gotta be Minecraft. Stop being Minecraft.

6. The way that everything's gotta be Dark Souls-y dodgeyrolly combat. Not everything's gotta be Dark Souls.

7. The way that whenever you go to an inn in an RPG or even camp outside if that's an option, when you're done resting, all of your HP/MP/Status ailments are restored, but then you're like, Shit, Bowie and Phife are still dead, Why did I even bother waking up again?

8. Maybe give the roguelikes a break too okay?

---

* I need to dwell on this -- I feel like establishing a rule that anyone can die is being abused as a shortcut for signifying "Hey, this game's DARK and MATURE!" But the reality of it is that, for me at least, getting involved in a story-driven game means that you have to be able to care about the characters in some capacity. It doesn't even matter if they're well developed--maybe it's just some goofy NPC that only has two lines that you're getting attached to.

But that connection's there and when I feel like ANY character could die at ANY time, it's hard for me to trust the narrative. To feel like there's a reason to make an emotional connection with the story.

I want something where it felt like the game staff cared about the world they came up with, and not something where it feels like the only thing they cared about was how much they could shock the players!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:58:23 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:27 PM »
Children are invincible BECAUSE WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

7. The way that whenever you go to an inn in an RPG or even camp outside if that's an option, when you're done resting, all of your HP/MP/Status ailments are restored, but then you're like, Shit, Bowie and Phife are still dead, Why did I even bother waking up again?

I feel like there's a comic to be made here about people putting corpses on beds at an inn and then expecting them to be alive the next morning...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
free to play is the death knell of rpg's and gaming in general

fin

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:51:07 AM »
Moe and all of its related tropes.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
The free-to-pay and pay-to-win micro-transactions paradigm used in Tales of Phantasia iOS was a sledgehammer to the genitals, a kick in the teeth, and a paper cut to the eye simultaneously.  Every review of the game (including mine) absolutely lambasted it and a few months later Bandai-Namco took it down and left anyone who had invested in the game out to rot.  

But, yeah, with the advent of this and DLC, that gets abused a lot.  Like back in the day you could buy a game at full price and it would have all the sidequests already in it, but now you pay full price for the game sans sidequests and have to pay extra for the sidequests.  That's like the burger meme.

http://starecat.com/games-now-and-then-burgers-original-game-expansion-pack-dlc-content/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:45:14 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »
Johnny Longtorso!

Gotta say though, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. I rarely find any DLC or pre-order exclusives to be worth my time.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 10:19:57 PM »
Moe and all of its related tropes.

While I too think some moe tropes are overdone and overused (we could do an entire thread on all the different kinds of moe archetypes and their hybrids- like "tsundere sex kitten."), I feel like some kind of "moe" has to be present so that we feel invested in these characters we'll be spending the next 25-50 hours (or more) with.  And no matter how moe-resistant we think we are, there are always a few tropes that get us every time.  Nefarious!

Admittedly, I love to tease the tsunderes in love adventures.  In my wacky analogy mind, "teasing the tsunderes" is the video game dorknerdgeek equivalent of the popular idiom "poking the bear."  And with love adventures, being able to poke the bear without any consequences beyond a mere game over is totally worth it, since I'll likely be rewarded with the most colorful dialogue that game has to offer.  EDIT: In this feature, I write a whole essay about teasing the tsunderes: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Paragon_vs_Renegade/index.html

Anyway, thread.  My 5 pet peeves so far (in no particular order) are still: small fonts, save-point using handheld RPGs without a quicksave, female characters dressed too scantily, microtransactions that exist only to nickel-and-dime gamers, and lazy scripting that still keeps all the male-centric pronouns and dialogue when your selected avatar is female.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:10:14 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

danholo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
Yes, I know we have these often (though we haven't in a LONG time) and they often turn to garbage, but I think with the level of maturity and stability we've shown in the "I want to love you, but I hate you" and "Unpopular opinions of popular games/media" threads, I thought we could do this again.  

I'll start.

1) I'm not at all liking the modern trend of small fonts and menu interfaces that sacrifice ergonomics for style.  I miss the days of large fonts and still wonder why video game option screens do not have adjustments to make the fonts bigger for easier reading.  Gust has been the biggest offender here since the days of Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Idea Factory is a big offender here too.  Actually, a lot of companies are big offenders here.

I actually couldn't play FFIV because of this, not that I'm into MMOs in general.  

The fact that I can't skip cutscenes. They didn't add this option the FFX rerelease. I guess they didn't want to disrupt the code of the game too much but an awfully odd thing to be left out. They could've also added a fast forward option.
d.h.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
Conversely, it bugged me in the game 999 when, during a second or third or whatever playthrough, I couldn't skip over previously completed puzzles.  Some of those puzzles were annoying the first time around and after that I wanted the option to skip them subsequent times around so I could just play for the story.
     -Peppermint Patty

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
To be fair in Virtues Last Reward they seemed to have learned that and implemented the password system where you just need to punch in the password you got the first time you went through the room and voila.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
That's good.  I always like when sequels learn from the mistakes of their predecessors.  I noticed in Mugen Souls Z, Compile Heart corrected the major mistakes from Mugen Souls and the game was a far more enjoyable and playable experience. 

I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure we've all played sequels where that didn't happen.  Where the stuff we liked was altered for the worse and the stuff we didn't like was left in-tact. 

Still, the inability to skip or fast-forward previously-seen content on the "New Game +" playthrough can be a drag.
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »

I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure we've all played sequels where that didn't happen.  Where the stuff we liked was altered for the worse and the stuff we didn't like was left in-tact. 

Awakened Fate Ultimatum is the perfect example. Guided Fate Paradox is one of my absolute favorite PS3 games and AFU stripped away everything that made the first one so unique. No dungeon gimmicks, no fun and goofy equipment, no divinogram.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
Different Strokes, Different Folks. I'd happily play a Japanese RPG with zero moe influence. Gimme a de'Spiria any day.