Author Topic: Black Desert Online

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
Black Desert Online
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »
Didn't see an current posts about it, so I figured I'd start one.
Black Desert Online Official Page
Black Desert Online Launch Trailer

Some basic information about the game - Released earlier last year in Korea, developed by Pearl Abyss and released in NA/EU by Daum Games Europe. BDO is a medieval high fantasy MMORPG that's quite different than the themepark MMOs like WoW and FFXIV. The pricing structure for the game is similar to Guild Wars in that you pay for the client once and you can play as long as you like. There's a cash shop that sells convenience and vanity items, but is completely optional. I've played a bit on the RU servers and preordered for NA release and I have to say that i'm really happy with the game. However, BDO is not your typical MMO, it's entirely sandbox - there are no convenience systems that break immersion (like teleport/shared storage etc.) If you need to get somewhere you get there on foot or horseback. There is a significant de-emphasis on equipment. While there are several tiers of equipment, they can be used by all classes and generally don't alter the look of your characters very much. The vanity items are incredibly well done but VERY expensive. There are no instanced dungeons, and there are no raids. They recently released 2 overworld dungeons and 3 open world bosses ala EQ/FFXI. There is an incredibly robust guild system where land can be aquired and fought over, as guild vs. guild battles are common. There's also siege warfare if that's your bag. PvP is completely optional - you cannot even flag for PvP until level 45. There are also systems in place that completely lock out RMT and general chat spammers. There is no level cap, there is a soft cap of 50, and then less stat increases as you venture on into infinity. Most equipment does not have a level requirement (unless its crafting gear), and the game is incredibly alt friendly. So why play a game that sounds like a massive timesink that doesn't have a loot treadmill or zomg-raids? Because it completely disincentivizes what has become a stale pitfall of the genre and returns you to the basics of what makes these games special - interacting in a virtual world and taking part in the events that shape its future. The story is actually decent, but has some translation issues. But, don't think the game is anywhere near shallow. It's incredibly vast in its gameplay systems.

To give you an example of just how expansive BDO is, check this out....Black Desert Online Bible

For those interested in how fishing works, I even made a little video... Arliman's BDO Fishing Tutorial for Beginners.

The music and visuals are amazing, the game can be played with a controller (with a learning curve), and outside of the limitations of a massive streaming MMO world (texture pop in), its an impressive game. It's depth and scope is amazing, and arguably what ArcAge tried so desperately to be.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: Black Desert Online
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »
Character creator is awesome in Black Desert.  I wish I had time to play it right now though but I am in the middle of a radi cycle for FF14 so that's been keeping me busy.  Going to check it once FF14 raid is on farm.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
Eh, it's not going anywhere. There's still alot of stuff that's being figured out. I made a kind of beginner overview for folks who wanted more specifics about the games systems.

BDO Overview

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
So some of the early reviews are in and I have to say this one is on point. Rock, Paper, Shotgun BDO review.

The game isn't for everyone, but it's glad to see other people agreeing that by eschewing the theme park MMO meta, they've created a compelling and immersive experience.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
early on find this game to be rather repetative. go to a monster camp kill various tier of mobs in ascending order. repeat at the next monster camp the story takes you to

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”