All of this is irrelevant, buy a Vita

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
Last year I'd have said the same thing, but at this point the Vita is Dungeon Crawlers, VNs, and Neptunia games.

Nothing is wrong with any of those things, I love me some dungeon crawlers, but it hardly makes the Vita as attractive as it once was.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 05:28:57 PM »

What's the franchise/game that you can't live without that's on or going to be on Vita?

Publishers of Japanese games are more often than not still testing the waters. The quality of ports generally ranges from 'yeah, this sort of works...' to '[endless angry Total Biscuit rant]' (and perhaps some metabombing). I bet it will be a while before you get the same experience on both PC and PS system.

Personally, I'm pretty content with a combination of consoles and the delightful insult to PC gaming that is my laptop (it has an Intel Graphics HD 3000!). I can play simple indie games and most new adventure games, and that's all I need. I might take PC gaming a little more seriously next time I need to upgrade, but for now, I'm good.

I heard laptops aren't that great for gaming though...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:30:52 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »

What's the franchise/game that you can't live without that's on or going to be on Vita?

Not Romancing SaGa 2....
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
PC gaming is always the way to go.  You may wait a bit for some ports of certain games but normally they are better, are patched, or modded by people in the community.  I can't stress how much I kinda regret buying a PS4 last year when the only game I really played on it was Bloodborne.  I know it's getting some awesome exclusives this year but I also feel like most will see some sort of PC release eventually.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:23:29 AM by ScottC »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 02:20:56 AM »

Publishers of Japanese games are more often than not still testing the waters. The quality of ports generally ranges from 'yeah, this sort of works...' to '[endless angry Total Biscuit rant]' (and perhaps some metabombing). I bet it will be a while before you get the same experience on both PC and PS system.

Personally, I'm pretty content with a combination of consoles and the delightful insult to PC gaming that is my laptop (it has an Intel Graphics HD 3000!). I can play simple indie games and most new adventure games, and that's all I need. I might take PC gaming a little more seriously next time I need to upgrade, but for now, I'm good.

I heard laptops aren't that great for gaming though...

Depends on what you plan on doing with them. I need a laptop anyway, so I got one that covered my (laughable) gaming needs. However, if you don't need something portable, a desktop is a better choice. It's more cost efficient (especially if you build it yourself) and much easier to upgrade.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
I guess it just seems like the the Playstation and PC demographics are basically converging. A good PC is more affordable than ever, whereas the PS consoles are frequently really just like computers, more or less.

I also perhaps can't get over how disappointing the PS3 was relative to the PS2. The PS2 was really kind of an amazing system, whereas the PS3 has also been good but oftentimes kind of a disappointment. I think the handheld situation has been slightly better with Sony opting to innovate more.

Edit: Blergh, I think I just went in a full circle and ended up back on the Vita lol.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:25:56 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 06:46:48 AM »
Let's be fair, the ps2 generation was a bit biased. Nintendo had its audience locked in already, and sega was flopping around miserably with the dreamcast after saturn killed them the previous gen, and then there was xbox which was unknown at the time and a late release. Of course the ps2 gen was astounding, it ran all but uncontested as the game king.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 07:46:54 AM »
^this. 

since it was the best selling console of all time, EVERY other console ever would be disappointing when compared to the ps2. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
Sure but they still had to make a killer system, which I think they basically did... it's lasted longer than my PS3 despite being 5 years younger or whatever which is pretty freaking impressive if you ask me.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
The technicaly differences between the three main consoles of that generation actually weren't that big. If anything, Sony's trump card was the PS2's ability to play DVDs back when DVD players were stupidly expensive. Sure, they were also boasting about the Emtion Engine, but that thing was a pain in the ass for developers. It took them years how to figure out how to put the PS2 hardware to good use and a lot of early titles look like shit. The PS2s real power was in its software library, which was made possible by connections build in the 32/64-bit era.

Some of the PS2's success isn't even a result of things Sony did. Both Nintendo and Microsoft made several slip-ups. Nintendo was still struggling with the N64 3rd party developer exodus, and maybe those mini-discs weren't the best choice. Meanwhile, Microsoft was mostly experimenting with a variety of things, like a controller that was too big for human hands.

What also may have been a factor, is that the PS2 was relatively easier to mod to play pirated games.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
The technicaly differences between the three main consoles of that generation actually weren't that big. If anything, Sony's trump card was the PS2's ability to play DVDs back when DVD players were stupidly expensive. Sure, they were also boasting about the Emtion Engine, but that thing was a pain in the ass for developers. It took them years how to figure out how to put the PS2 hardware to good use and a lot of early titles look like shit. The PS2s real power was in its software library, which was made possible by connections build in the 32/64-bit era.

Some of the PS2's success isn't even a result of things Sony did. Both Nintendo and Microsoft made several slip-ups. Nintendo was still struggling with the N64 3rd party developer exodus, and maybe those mini-discs weren't the best choice. Meanwhile, Microsoft was mostly experimenting with a variety of things, like a controller that was too big for human hands.

What also may have been a factor, is that the PS2 was relatively easier to mod to play pirated games.

Well, I realize the story with the PS has typically been 3rd party > 1st party and Nintendo 3rd party goes downhill and such. Or I should say, those are definitely factors.

But I don't know I guess I just like the hardware of the PS2 better than a lot of later systems or earlier systems and such and so forth. I don't really justify on a lot but my PS3 most definitely did break despite being a much younger system whereas my PS2 basically never has...

I kind of like the interface (or absence thereof) and factors like that as well. Plus games like Odin Sphere or FFX12 which pushed the system hard looked pretty amazing (even though they did have slow down at times).

The PS3 on the other hand has always felt pretty bloated, I'm not even sure in retrospect how much better looking the likes of MGS4 were compared to MGS3 and such, in retrospect.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:45:22 PM by Artimicia »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Get a first gen ps3. Full ps2 backwards compatibility, full psn functionality, all ps3 titles function fine on it. Best of the ps2 and ps3 together.

Also, fuck the vita. The system is quickly losing any and all steam it once (if ever) had and is getting less and less worhtwhile releases developed for it. Almost all the cool indie stuff is being released on the ps4 as well, and the good stuff to come is getting ps4 releases as well.
(Disclaimer: my opinion)

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
Get a first gen ps3. Full ps2 backwards compatibility, full psn functionality, all ps3 titles function fine on it. Best of the ps2 and ps3 together.

Also, fuck the vita. The system is quickly losing any and all steam it once (if ever) had and is getting less and less worhtwhile releases developed for it. Almost all the cool indie stuff is being released on the ps4 as well, and the good stuff to come is getting ps4 releases as well.
(Disclaimer: my opinion)

Yeah that's what I had though, full backwards compatibility, etc, that's the one that's been shaky mechanically. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to hold together but I'm just like ergh.

But anyway, anyway indie stuff in my experience or whatever is probably on PC as well.. I don't know, I just kind of see this collapsing into some generic "computer console" (which is like PS4/XB1/PC/iOS/Android/Ouya (ha!)/Mac/Laptop) outside of Nintendo.

Sony and others are still trying to leverage individual systems using "exclusives" but for most people that's like one game or two games at best, and not only that they aren't like super original IPs or something they are just like you know "another Yakuza" or "the next Souls game" or the likes.

But yeah if you want to share the PS4 things you are looking forward to that are PS4 exclusive...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:54:32 PM by Artimicia »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »

The Mini-Disks and the Controller were what largely torpedoed the Gamecube since a number of developers of that era just wanted to settle on the cheapest solution. And the few efforts that actually made it on the Cube either also ended up on the PS2, were refugees of the Dreamcast or were these off-brand experiments like Crystal Chronicles, Phantasy Star Online 3 or Starfox Adventures.

XBox's biggest problem was always the fact that it was a western console first and foremost. Microsoft gave no fucks about Japanese developers or the market until the start of the 360 era, which by then, had already cultivated a reputation for being a western only console brand. It really didn't help that it was basically a mini-PC and didn't have many notable IPs for it outside of stuff like Halo, Call of Duty or SOCOM which were largely FPS based games which in turn didn't sit very well with the Japanese market due to inducing motion sickness. Not that Microsoft cared about that since they basically had an entire demographic to their own in the 20-something Brogamerfewls (which is currently biting them in the ass with the XBone since most of that demographic is aging out into finally having responsibilities and real-life guns, and PCs and Smartphones are taking up the next generation of 20-something Brogamerfewls).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.