Author Topic: PS4 or Vita?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
PS4 or Vita?
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »
Ok fellow RPGFanners and hardcore RPGers of WRPG and JRPG and well every RPG stripes, the question in the topic...

But yes I have seen games for both that I want, but possessing neither system (and simply relying on the 3DS in recent times) I was thinking why not send it to the general group of people out there?

I think for most people it would be unquestionably the PS4 but frankly there's at least a few games I really would like to play for Vita such as

1. Oreshika
2. Ys: Memories of Celceta
3. Valhalla Knights 3
4. Soul Sacrifice
5. Gravity Rush

So.. .quite a few! I could list some of the PS4 ones but it's fair to say there a few there as well.

But yes forget my stance on everything, anyone want to share what they think??
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:11 AM »
I'd recommend the Vita only because you've expressed liking a lot of PS1 classic JRPGs, which you can get on the Vita but (inexplicably) not on the PS4. Also, JRPG releases on PS4 are still a slow trickle while there's a plethora of choices on the Vita, not to mention most of them seem to come out on the PS4 and Vita or just the Vita.

Anyway, those are my thoughts but I'm sure others have their own.

Oh, and FYI Gravity Rush is now available on both systems.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
Salvum est Vita!

You know what? I'm just going to go ahead and make that my new sig so I don't have to keep repeating it around here...

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
both, eventually! maybe start with Vita if you're looking to save some dough. I love my Vita and get a lot of play out of it, certainly more than my PS4 at present.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
I'd tell you the ps4 since the support for the vita is diminishing rapidly. Plus, it's only a matter of time before Sony implements vita and psp titles for play on the ps4 using psnow, their streaming service. Granted, the amount of rpgs available on vita are quite larger in number, the system is all but dead, and I don't think spending money on it this late in the game would benefit you. I mean hell, most of the vita rpgs are available on the ps3 already, along with all the other ps3 rpgs and ps1 rpgs you may or may not have, so I'd say the vita is just a purchase for someone with disposable income...

Granted, that's just my opinion, and I say it while having my own vita and ps4, as well as a 1st gen ps3, so I have access to anything on a sony platform.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
Used Vitas are very affordable right now (try to get one with a large memory card!), and it'll let you play PSone and PSP games from the PSN Store. Even if support is fading*, there's more than enough games to play on it.

*Unless you're mostly playing games from companies like NISA and Bandai Namco, that keep spamming new Vita releases. I'm still getting more Vita games than I can reasonably cover!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:01:26 PM by Tomara »

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
I wish the PSN store had Vandal Hearts 1. I've beaten the game so many times on the original PlayStation and it still didn't get old. Sadly, only the brief prequel "Flames of Judgement" is available to download. I've got PS4 and Vita, but I'll be honest, I play my Wii U and 3DS more. Good luck with your decision Artimicia, hopefully, the RPGfan gang have made it easier for you. ^_^

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
PS4.5

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
A smart phone or other mobile capable device.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
Why in god's name would you desire to play a full length rpg on your phone? For every cool thing a phone can do, trying to play a video game that requires more than a yes or no input from the user is murder on touch devices. I play like 3 games on my phone right now, and the only reason I do those is because they require little more than confirmation of what I'm about to do. Hell even playing a 3ds or vita is murder on hands after a while because of the lack of ergonomic function.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
Why in god's name would you desire to play a full length rpg on your phone? For every cool thing a phone can do, trying to play a video game that requires more than a yes or no input from the user is murder on touch devices. I play like 3 games on my phone right now, and the only reason I do those is because they require little more than confirmation of what I'm about to do. Hell even playing a 3ds or vita is murder on hands after a while because of the lack of ergonomic function.

Because that's the only platform that Squeenix decided to localize Romancing SaGa 2 on, and if that's the price for getting things like this, then fuck it. I'm in.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
^ you're just being complicit to the beast. 

even if Do Don Pachi or Panzer Dragoon Saga or Burning Rangers came out on smart phone/mobile device in the West I'd rather totally miss out than help contribute to the death of gaming as we know it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
^ you're just being complicit to the beast. 

even if Do Don Pachi or Panzer Dragoon Saga or Burning Rangers came out on smart phone/mobile device in the West I'd rather totally miss out than help contribute to the death of gaming as we know it.

14 years is a long goddamn time to wait (or 23 years, since you're probably going to bring up the fact that Panzer Dragoon Saga came and went one cold April night 18 years ago, but I'll be honest and say that my interest in the SaGa series started in 2000 with SF2, so 16 years).

Besides, if I give here, then it gives me the chance of one day playing an officially localized version of Bahamut Lagoon, and is that not worth caving for?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:42:38 AM »
Hm thanks for the responses people I think the backwards compatibility with Vita is possibly pushing me in that direction. I've always made a great deal of use of backwards compatibility on any system, it's one of the reasons I keep trying to keep my big PS3 together with pasting parts together and such.

If having that massive cell processor push out Saga Frontier grade graphics isn't a joy in this world I don't know what is.

The lack of forward support going forward is why I lean towards PS4, but it's also a reason maybe I could still feel like I could get it maybe at some later date and not be really missing out (since it'll be around still)

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
Plus, as Annubis hinted at, it might be better at this point to hold off on getting a PS4 until we know more about these upgraded PS4 rumors.