Author Topic: PS4 or Vita?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:44 AM »
Plus, as Annubis hinted at, it might be better at this point to hold off on getting a PS4 until we know more about these upgraded PS4 rumors.

Or just ignore it because buying a new console AND a new tv that has enough display power to make any sort of difference is a much tougher ask than just buying a used Vita for 150 bucks.

Unless you have a 4k tv already, which would of course moot this argument.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
PS4 and a PSTV!

A PSTV is pretty much a Vita console(its the size of a credit card and hooks up to your TV) that plays 90% of all the Vita games(physical and digital) and its only like 40-50 bucks.  You can play pretty much everything on it including all the PS1 and PSP games on the PSN with a few exceptions, but none of them have been any RPGs as far as I know.  If you want a Vita and don't care about portability and just plan to play at home anyway PSTV is the way to go.  Playing alot of Vita games in 720P at home is a godsend btw.  The only downside is that you need to buy a VIta memory card cause the systems internal harddrive is garbage at 1gb but you probably going to have to buy one for a normal Vita anyway.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:16:49 AM by ScottC »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:38 PM »
Well honestly the OLED thing sounds pretty cool to me, I'd kind of want a proper Vita to Vita.

I also don't really have a fancy pants TV or plan on really getting one... not really 100% sure whether that matters.

The biggest rift is really I just can't figure out which one has more of the games I want to play.. like I mean PS4 will have like Valkyria: AZ, although.. I don't know am I satisfied already having played VC and such?

Plus, there's stuff like Gravity Rush which was on Vita and then hopped over to PS4. Moreover I was never really big on the Souls series or Shadow of the Colossus (so TLG and Bloodborne respectively).

Honestly as mentioned before the biggest thing that annoys me is lack of backwards compatibility... whereas Vita lets you play PSP games and such still.

I think the notion that many series from the PS3 will be migrating to PS4 (Tales and such) might be reason enough to push into that direction...

then there's the 4.5 thing which is like blergh, I think whatever that is though it's not going to mess with the current PS4 people too badly. 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:07:53 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »
Honestly as mentioned before the biggest thing that annoys me is lack of backwards compatibility...

I empathize with you. I was steamed when I found out Trails in the Sky: Cold Steel wasn't coming to the PS4. I bought Cold Steel on Vita. Honestly, not at all that bad, just a bit slower load times at times.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
Well honestly the OLED thing sounds pretty cool to me, I'd kind of want a proper Vita to Vita. - only the original version Vita has an OLED.

Moreover I was never really big on the Souls series or Shadow of the Colossus (so TLG and Bloodborne respectively).

I thought you were cool Arty.  I really thought you were cool...

SotC is a brilliant transcendent work of gaming art...  WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO BAD!

I may have just whited out there for a second.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Well honestly the OLED thing sounds pretty cool to me, I'd kind of want a proper Vita to Vita. - only the original version Vita has an OLED.

Moreover I was never really big on the Souls series or Shadow of the Colossus (so TLG and Bloodborne respectively).

I thought you were cool Arty.  I really thought you were cool...

SotC is a brilliant transcendent work of gaming art...  WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO BAD!

I may have just whited out there for a second.

Oh no Glass no LETS STILL BE FRIENDS! Honestly though I remember people talking about SOTC a bunch at the time and that's great and all that, and I still totally acknowledge it! It just wasn't my super cup of tea...

Hm hm Kitten?

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
I think maybe don't buy a home console until this 4.5 malarkey is sorted out.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »
The thing with PS4.5 is they can't really gib all the existing PS4 owners or current PS4 games in production, naturally.

The added features aren't particularly interesting, slightly faster, fancy VR, whatever, don't care.

The only issue is whether the new PS4.5 exclusive games willl roll around inevitably, MGS6, something.

My sense is though like what games would those even be exactly? If anything, they'd come much later, possibly primarily remasters. Even the New Nintendo 3DS primarily just had remasters, I don't think there were any NN3DS exclusives, I can't think of many or any of those games in general, for the natural reason they would be breaking boundaries in an awkward way.

Kind of leaning towards PS4 basically, in the present.

Actually I think Aeolus's point about the phone is really also close to that, so many mobile releases now essentially.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
The thing with PS4.5 is they can't really gib all the existing PS4 owners or current PS4 games in production, naturally.

At the rate that Backwards Compatibility has been falling off and the ever shortening of a piece of software's lifecycle (i.e. any game that ran on WEP encoded Wi-Fi, DSiWare, servers for online heavy games like Halos 2 & 3, degradation of disk reading consoles like the PSX, the PS2, the Gamecube and so on, the conversion from CRT TVs to All Digital TVs, among other things), they might actually go through with it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »

At the rate that Backwards Compatibility has been falling off and the ever shortening of a piece of software's lifecycle (i.e. any game that ran on WEP encoded Wi-Fi, DSiWare, servers for online heavy games like Halos 2 & 3, degradation of disk reading consoles like the PSX, the PS2, the Gamecube and so on, the conversion from CRT TVs to All Digital TVs, among other things), they might actually go through with it.

Too many current owners of the PS4 it seems to me... alienating 500,000 people is one thing, but 50 million? (Projecting total sales by the time 4.5 even releases)

That's my sticking point. I think the crunch in media with tons of demand will begin to ease, in response to the simple fact that despite a plethora of media options, a lot of it hasn't really shifted what people consume (HBO series like GoT, etc), a lot of it is simply due to seismic changes in the relative valuation of things like games/comics/movies, etc. Consequently Sony will calm down and potentially just release an upgrade more in the N64 line of popping in a thing or substituting a that, less in the vein of New 3DS new system etc.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:43:13 PM by Artimicia »

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
I don't know if anyone mentioned it on here yet, but I heard they are not going to make any more PSVITA tvs. So if I were you I would get the vita tv over the regular vita. Holding a Vita is uncomfortable to me, so I like the vita tv because I can use a controller.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »

Too many current owners of the PS4 it seems to me... alienating 500,000 people is one thing, but 50 million? (Projecting total sales by the time 4.5 even releases)

That's my sticking point. I think the crunch in media with tons of demand will begin to ease, in response to the simple fact that despite a plethora of media options, a lot of it hasn't really shifted what people consume (HBO series like GoT, etc), a lot of it is simply due to seismic changes in the relative valuation of things like games/comics/movies, etc. Consequently Sony will calm down and potentially just release an upgrade more in the N64 line of popping in a thing or substituting a that, less in the vein of New 3DS new system etc.

We're talking about the world of today where millions of people have to buy a new iPhone to have the latest firmware because otherwise they can't run apps developed for said firmware =/

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »

We're talking about the world of today where millions of people have to buy a new iPhone to have the latest firmware because otherwise they can't run apps developed for said firmware =/

Eventually I think  people  will eventually remember the only thing you can really do with a phone is call people... don't know when that might be though.

Their popularity as very micro computers is of course a separate thing, but I don't know I think computers have limitations too in many ways...

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Besides, if I give here, then it gives me the chance of one day playing an officially localized version of Bahamut Lagoon, and is that not worth caving for?

Wait. What? Is this happening? If so, I need it. Now.

Anyway, I just bought a PS4 today myself thanks to a bonus I got at work (yay!!!). I'd love to have classic PS1 games portable. That is definitely enticing. However, I just don't see there being enough support any longer for it to continue being relevant as a system. I never even hear about new games for it any longer, and even when I did it was seldom.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:43:30 PM by Jimmy »

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
Anyway, I just bought a PS4 today myself thanks to a bonus I got at work (yay!!!).

Cool. Did you get any games with it too (or still planning on future title purchases)?

I have FFX-I and FFX-II HD remaster for the PS4. I'm a little over half way, but paused it to devote time to Xenoblade Chronicles X. I also have FF Type-0, yet only played 30 minutes of it. It was intense, I remember button mashing, chaotic epic music blaring amid gun fire and searching forever for a place to save amid convos/cut scenes, etc as well. XD

For Vita, I have a Trails... Cold Steel that I eventually will get around to as well.