Author Topic: PS4 or Vita?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »
Besides, if I give here, then it gives me the chance of one day playing an officially localized version of Bahamut Lagoon, and is that not worth caving for?

Wait. What? Is this happening? If so, I need it. Now.

Anyway, I just bought a PS4 today myself thanks to a bonus I got at work (yay!!!). I'd love to have classic PS1 games portable. That is definitely enticing. However, I just don't see there being enough support any longer for it to continue being relevant as a system. I never even hear about new games for it any longer, and even when I did it was seldom.

There are more new games per month on the Vita than on the PS3. I know that doesn't say a *whole* lot, but it does mean the Vita isn't exactly dead yet.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 12:34:49 AM »
Yeah I think eventually I may still want a Vita, I just think suddenly the PS4 felt more appealing for some reason.

Maybe I still do want to play FFXV after all *sigh,* I see this tiny bit of remnant of Versus and some other FF in there I guess.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:34 AM »
Well while the Vita had the early lead I'm honestly leaning towards PS4/Mobile phone which is rather unexpected.

Simple facts being, PS4 has games I'm pretty sure I want to play and are exclusive, ditto for iOS.

So does Vita, but perhaps not as many.

Backwards compatibility situation I'm kind of just thinking used PSPs or new model PS2s/PS3s and other things can take care of a lot, it's kind of annoying but whelps.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:44 AM »
Well while the Vita had the early lead I'm honestly leaning towards PS4/Mobile phone which is rather unexpected.

Simple facts being, PS4 has games I'm pretty sure I want to play and are exclusive, ditto for iOS.

Backwards compatibility situation I'm kind of just thinking used PSPs or new model PS2s/PS3s and other things can take care of a lot, it's kind of annoying but whelps.

This is why I can't give up any of my gaming systems. I still have a PS2, and PS3 the 60 gig version, so it plays PS1-PS3. I still own a GameBoy color, Nintendo DS Lite, 3DS, PS4 (really its my bf's but I buy more games than he does for it), a VITA TV. I probably will buy the PS4 Neo. Also I have a Retron 5 to play my really old games.

I feel like I need to go to one of those AA meetings and admit I have a problem lol.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »

This is why I can't give up any of my gaming systems. I still have a PS2, and PS3 the 60 gig version, so it plays PS1-PS3. I still own a GameBoy color, Nintendo DS Lite, 3DS, PS4 (really its my bf's but I buy more games than he does for it), a VITA TV. I probably will buy the PS4 Neo. Also I have a Retron 5 to play my really old games.

I feel like I need to go to one of those AA meetings and admit I have a problem lol.

Nope not your problem just how it is, still have an up and running GBA etc and all that, I even played by SNES like 3-4 years ago that was... something.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »

Nope not your problem just how it is, still have an up and running GBA etc and all that, I even played by SNES like 3-4 years ago that was... something.

You two missed my posts in the Game Journal thread about my recent playthrough of Super Mario World. That was on original hardware and not even the oldest thing I own (that would be a Colecovision, and I used to have a striped down version of a Mangavox Odyssey^2, that may yet still be around somewhere).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »

You two missed my posts in the Game Journal thread about my recent playthrough of Super Mario World. That was on original hardware and not even the oldest thing I own (that would be a Colecovision, and I used to have a striped down version of a Mangavox Odyssey^2, that may yet still be around somewhere).

Oh we must certainly did miss it Master Aeolus, for we could never compare!

Although in my defense I did play a Coleco-Vision at Anime Expo last year, that was fun, um, I think, to be honest, I don't know what was happening the whole time.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »

Although in my defense I did play a Coleco-Vision at Anime Expo last year, that was fun, um, I think, to be honest, I don't know what was happening the whole time.

Man. You guys are taking all the fun out collecting vintage videogame consoles. I mean, what's the point if you can't brag about it? :(
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »

Man. You guys are taking all the fun out collecting vintage videogame consoles. I mean, what's the point if you can't brag about it? :(

Haha I was mostly being sarcastic, that's cute you have a Coleco I knew someone that knew someone that had one from somewhere and claimed it was almost impossible to play, like, it just wasn't even clear how it was a game.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 10:49:10 PM »
I am thoroughly disappointed in Sony and third parties for not better supporting the Vita, because it is hands-down the most impressive handheld system I have EVER gotten my hands on. Between the visual novel library (in Japan, as well as the few in the US), the awesome games that make good use of both touch screens (Tearaway, Sound Shapes, Gravity Rush), the solid RPGs of traditional and Action variety (P4 Golden, Ys Celceta), and a battery life that ... somehow ... seems to outlet my 3DS ... this thing was built for gaming perfection.

And yet, it seems Sony is practically abandoning it, at least in the US. I am livid (and simultaneously pleased) about Square Enix's decisions ... I'm happy about the opportunities to play Adventures of Mana and Romancing SaGa 2, but I'd MUCH RATHER play them on my PSVita than on a f*cking smartphone, limited to touch screen controls only. YUCK.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 01:03:44 AM »
I am thoroughly disappointed in Sony and third parties for not better supporting the Vita, because it is hands-down the most impressive handheld system I have EVER gotten my hands on. Between the visual novel library (in Japan, as well as the few in the US), the awesome games that make good use of both touch screens (Tearaway, Sound Shapes, Gravity Rush), the solid RPGs of traditional and Action variety (P4 Golden, Ys Celceta), and a battery life that ... somehow ... seems to outlet my 3DS ... this thing was built for gaming perfection.

And yet, it seems Sony is practically abandoning it, at least in the US. I am livid (and simultaneously pleased) about Square Enix's decisions ... I'm happy about the opportunities to play Adventures of Mana and Romancing SaGa 2, but I'd MUCH RATHER play them on my PSVita than on a f*cking smartphone, limited to touch screen controls only. YUCK.

Yeah it's really weird with the Vita, everything about it is good on paper. I get some Dreamcast vibes from it sometimes.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 08:27:03 AM »
Ok new wrinkle what do you guys think about the fact that so many popular games are migrating to the PC. Is the PC the new destination for Playstation games?

Dark Souls, Tales series, Ys, it seems like many developers are plenty happy to put those games on PC.

Nintendo of course, is, well, Nintendo, but have any of you considered just keeping around a PC for Playstation games? What are the Playstation exclusive series that you can't live without and still need a system for?

Interested in any and all opinions. =-)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
Really depends on what kinds of games you're looking for and, if those games are technically demanding, how much time and money you're willing to putting in to keeping a PC up to date to run everything.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
Really depends on what kinds of games you're looking for and, if those games are technically demanding, how much time and money you're willing to putting in to keeping a PC up to date to run everything.

Well I have some in mind, but if people told me their favorite series than they might of been ones I had forgotten or can look at or whatever and can go, oh yeah, that's worth keeping a PS around.

Like, something like Witch and the Hundred Knight. I like that game but isn't the PS4 thing just a remaster anyway? I feel like I've kind of gotten the experience with a PS3... anyway everyone has their favorite series or whatever that they simply need something for so I'm curious what those are. For me it kind of is like Tales Of, maybe the Souls series, but I am not aware of every game out there may be missing stuff.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 09:18:05 AM »
Publishers of Japanese games are more often than not still testing the waters. The quality of ports generally ranges from 'yeah, this sort of works...' to '[endless angry Total Biscuit rant]' (and perhaps some metabombing). I bet it will be a while before you get the same experience on both PC and PS system.

Personally, I'm pretty content with a combination of consoles and the delightful insult to PC gaming that is my laptop (it has an Intel Graphics HD 3000!). I can play simple indie games and most new adventure games, and that's all I need. I might take PC gaming a little more seriously next time I need to upgrade, but for now, I'm good.