Author Topic: Reviewing a bad game

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Reviewing a bad game
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
I've been reviewing games personally and putting them on Gamefaqs.com. I'm currently playing a game that I want to review but its really bad. My question is to anyone who has played and reviewed a bad game is how long will you play that game until you feel the need to complete a review? And when I say a bad game I mean out of a score of 10 the game is probably anywhere from a 1-3 kind of bad. Thanks.

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Reviewing a bad game
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
Really depends on how tolerable the game is. I've played all the way through Time & Eternity before giving it a 3, but there have also been games where I give up after 2-3 hours to protect my own sanity. I think it's fair to quit once the game has shown you pretty much all its gameplay mechanics, as long as you're honest about not finishing the game and state the reasons why.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
I've been reviewing games personally and putting them on Gamefaqs.com. I'm currently playing a game that I want to review but its really bad. My question is to anyone who has played and reviewed a bad game is how long will you play that game until you feel the need to complete a review? And when I say a bad game I mean out of a score of 10 the game is probably anywhere from a 1-3 kind of bad. Thanks.
If you don't complete a game, it's only a preview review I thought...

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
It'd be a preview if it's obvious I only saw the tip of the iceberg, but plenty of bad games throw everything they have at you within the first our of so. It's one of those design flaws that make bad games bad. And if the game is so bad you don't want to keep playing it at any cost, well, that says a lot about the quality. Who'd want to wade through a river of shit only to find out that the other side is still shit, but shit that happens to be solid enough to stand on?

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
It'd be a preview if it's obvious I only saw the tip of the iceberg, but plenty of bad games throw everything they have at you within the first our of so. It's one of those design flaws that make bad games bad. And if the game is so bad you don't want to keep playing it at any cost, well, that says a lot about the quality. Who'd want to wade through a river of shit only to find out that the other side is still shit, but shit that happens to be solid enough to stand on?
Yup basically within the first hour this game laid out all of its problems. I don't know if it gets worse but I can barely pull anything positive about this game which is sad. I wouldn't go as far as to say it isn't playable, but its defiantly not a good game.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
You've got to make your own choice, but for us here at RPGFan, our policy is that we finish a game before we review it unless we have a really feel like there's just no way we can do so.  And if we don't finish, we will tell you so in the review.  I believe there have only been two that I've given up on in almost 9 years at the site.  The latest was Omega Quintet, where I was over halfway through the game and discovered I was probably going to have to start over, and it was so bad I couldn't bring myself to do it.  (The other was Zoids Assault, which I now remember for two things: every battle was exactly like every other battle, and it had only five achievements.  One for being 20% of the way through the game, one for 40%, etc.)

What it really comes down to is whether you feel like you've given the game a full and fair examination.  Is there really anything that could happen in the parts of the game you haven't played that would impact your final score?  And even if there is, is this game so bad that nobody's likely to play it long enough to find out? :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
What it really comes down to is whether you feel like you've given the game a full and fair examination.  Is there really anything that could happen in the parts of the game you haven't played that would impact your final score?  And even if there is, is this game so bad that nobody's likely to play it long enough to find out? :)

Thanks for your input, I totally agree with you on this. The game I'm playing isn't unbearable so I'll keep going. There is only one game I gave up on completely due to how bad it was and that was Unlimited Saga. No matter how many times I started over I don't think I could of gone past 1 hour without giving up in frustration. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »
You're really not going to tell us the name of this bad game?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:11 PM »
Murasaki Mist: Akara's Journey. I got it for the PS Vita because it was on sale for $6.99 and it had an average of 3 stars, but it really should be less than that. Its not really the game mechanics that bother me, which is why I can tolerate it and still play the game. The game has a lot of problems but their graphic design choices is what probably kills it the most. Its kind of to the point where its a little unacceptable.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
*googles*

...ok yeah, I see what you mean.  Not... uh, not great.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
Yeah I could go on forever about the poor choices they made with this game. I'm doing this because I would like to review games as a potential career and I know at some point your going to have to review a bad game. There's no getting around it. I might as well start with this one lol.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Yeah I could go on forever about the poor choices they made with this game. I'm doing this because I would like to review games as a potential career and I know at some point your going to have to review a bad game. There's no getting around it. I might as well start with this one lol.

One of the most important things I learned about writing reviews is to not think of the game as a whole, but always a collection of aspects. So you're never really reviewing a bad game or a good game, but rather a game with mostly negative aspects or a game with mostly positive aspects or a balance of the two. That way you can take a step back from your overall feeling towards the game and praise what a "bad game" does right and condemn what a "good game" does poorly.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »

One of the most important things I learned about writing reviews is to not think of the game as a whole, but always a collection of aspects. So you're never really reviewing a bad game or a good game, but rather a game with mostly negative aspects or a game with mostly positive aspects or a balance of the two. That way you can take a step back from your overall feeling towards the game and praise what a "bad game" does right and condemn what a "good game" does poorly.
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. :)

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
One thing that wasn't mentioned is deadlines.  Depending on what outlet you're writing for, you might have some kind of press deadline to adhere to so that may limit you to how much you play of a game.  This held very true for the old gaming magazines where the staff was reviewing lots of games in multiple genres and only having enough time to play "so much" before having to write them up. 

In cases like this, I would disclose how much of a game I played unless that goes against the rules of the outlet you're writing for.  Some outlets can be harsh about that, because they don't want readers to know that only a fraction of a game was played before the click-generating day-one review went up. 

I only mention this because you talk about wanting to go into game journalism as a career and I figured it a good idea to address stuff like this, which is true for journalism as a whole.
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
Yep, that is certainly true. For instance, I only got to spend three days with Xenoblade Chronicles before I had to start writing. I think I managed to hit the 30 hour mark when I handed in my review. And that was the best case scenario. The other option was spending two days at Nintendo's offices and play it there, which would have meant less than 20 hours of game time and possibly a PR person breathing down my necks.

(That said, Nintendo of Europe is pretty awesome with review copies right now. Ik got Xenoblade Chronicles X nearly a month in advance and I'm already through my first Fire Emblem Fates game, which won't hit store shelves until May 20. Still, as nice as having loose deadlines is, playing 80+ hours only to get paid for maybe 5-10 hours of work is insane.)