Author Topic: The controllers thread

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: The controllers thread
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
Also I'm kind of surprised this wasn't mentioned but the Genesis controller...

I did briefly mention the Genesis controller, but I was referring to the 6 button version, so I guess that doesn't really count... or whatever. Either way, I'm a fan.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
I've always been partial to the snes controller.  mostly because of how easy it is to just slide your right thumb back and forth when you need to mash buttons for something like regaining power in super punchout. 

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Old:
-SNES all the way. Simple, easy to use layout, the perfect size (for my tiny hands) and it has buttons in fun colours. Controllers need fun colours.

Modern:
-I doubt I'll ever be a fan of the system itself, but the Xbox 360 controller is great. It's like it took what made the SNES controller good and updated it to modern standards.

-The Wii Classic controller deserves a mention. It's nothing advanced, but for a cheap, no-nonsense controller it's very good. And it's not that I dislike the GameCube controller (far from it), but playing retro games with it never felt natural. Plus, the Classic is pretty stylish with it's clean design and transparant buttons.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »
One thing I really love, and find fascinating about the GameCube controller is that each button has a different shape and feel that creates a tactile connection to what you're doing. The A button is bigger, and screams "primary button", the B button is small but in a very central position, so it's secondary but very comfortable to use. The XY buttons are definitely tertiary but are each shaped and positioned differently to immediately give your brain feedback on their differentiation. No other controller does this. With it, I experience fewer accidental button pushes, or find that some part of my brain is having to calculate which button I should press. Hands down my absolute favorite button array.

I also really love the sticks for similar reasons, I could never ever get them confused because they feel very different, I also like the solid textured surface to grip my thumb. PS and Wii sticks tend to get slick with high humidity, ESPECIALLY Wii.

The rest of the controller is a mixed bag: the D pad is awful: completely useless garbage. It's too small, too stiff, and it's so easy to accidentally press 45-degrees from where you meant. The shoulder buttons are very interesting and a nice idea in theory, but not so good in practice. The travel distance is enormous, which actually really allows the player make use of the gradation, as opposed to similar trigger controllers. Unfortunately, this same travel distance becomes very un-friendly to rapid fire or repeated use, and can hurt your hands during a lengthy session. The Z button is an afterthought, and though similarly "make it very different for easy tactile differentiation", is kind of crappy, and there's only one. So the controller ends up lacking any run-of-the-mill, quick-to-use shoulder button that's good for rapid fire.

So here are the controllers marks:
Button Array: A+
Sticks: A+
D-Pad: F
Shoulder Buttons: C
Overall ergonomics: A

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 03:58:01 AM »
I also kind of liked one of those Sega joystick controller variations

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »
It looks like the GameCube controller is the overwhelming favorite here.  Cool!  If it had the Dreamcast-style analog shoulder buttons, it would be my perfect controller.  I found that I never used the D-pad, but I'll take Prime Mover's word for it that it could have been improved.  EDIT: I recall the Genesis 3-button controller having a killer D-pad. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:16:39 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
After playing Fatal Frame 5 (Gamepad as camera), I'm going to ahead and say the Wii U gamepad qualifies as a top controller... it's extremely lightweight and easy to handle (moreso than an ipad) plus the NES controller elements are smooth and unruffled.

The joystick knobs, the Ls and Rs and such, everything is about as polished, I daresay it's one of the best controller's Nintendo has ever made.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
After playing Fatal Frame 5 (Gamepad as camera), I'm going to ahead and say the Wii U gamepad qualifies as a top controller... it's extremely lightweight and easy to handle (moreso than an ipad) plus the NES controller elements are smooth and unruffled.

The joystick knobs, the Ls and Rs and such, everything is about as polished, I daresay it's one of the best controller's Nintendo has ever made.

That's a GIGANTIC disagree there. The size makes it very disfunctional, especially when you're entirely used to smaller controllers like dualshocks and the like. My entire month and change of xenoblade x, I CONSTANTLY found myself looking down to the controller for button placement, just a glance sure, but it was enough to be annoying. I will admit it wasn't the most unpleasant thing to hold (that still is a tie between the 3dsxl and the vita), but it still left me wanting to out it down during extended play durations.

I swear Nintendonjust makes these controllers to annoy prople, they know how to make functionally impressive controllers...but then they pull shit out like the stupid n64 pad, and the wiimotes.

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »

That's a GIGANTIC disagree there. The size makes it very disfunctional, especially when you're entirely used to smaller controllers like dualshocks and the like. My entire month and change of xenoblade x, I CONSTANTLY found myself looking down to the controller for button placement, just a glance sure, but it was enough to be annoying. I will admit it wasn't the most unpleasant thing to hold (that still is a tie between the 3dsxl and the vita), but it still left me wanting to out it down during extended play durations.

I swear Nintendonjust makes these controllers to annoy prople, they know how to make functionally impressive controllers...but then they pull shit out like the stupid n64 pad, and the wiimotes.

I didn't really like the Wiimote as much I will say, I thought that was the one that was kind of weird, it only worked well for some games.