Author Topic: The Best and the Worst endings

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
The Best and the Worst endings
« on: April 26, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
I don't know if some of you are like me, but if an ending is good, I'll remember the thing fondly while if the ending is terrible, I'll be sour about the whole even if everything before the ending was good.
What are some of the best and worst endings you recall ? Can be from anything: books, comic books, movies, games, TV series, anime, manga, even songs! you name it.

Given the nature of this thread: Please use BLACK COLORED TEXT for the ending so that people aren't spoiled too badly (the code thing works too, but it's annoying on long texts I find)

The good:

Code 'muthaeffing' Geass
That ending... oh god, that ending! It just can't be described in words (that or I'm illiterate).

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Another amazing ending. One of the most entertaining last boss fight (I mean, how often do good guys and villains fight it off with the entire cosmos as their battleground?) followed by just enough of a conclusion for each of the characters. With the last moment being a nice message of hope.
There's a lot to learn from here for others.

Terranigma
Being reborn as a bird and flying over the world to see all that you have done and saved was so beautiful. Finding Elle at the very end just turned on the waterworks for me.

The Last Samurai
The last charge against the guns and cannons is so beautiful in itself as it is emotionally charged. The music, choreography and acting are all top notch and it creates what I can only describe as art.
I mean, you know they are going to lose horribly, but there's all these slight moments that make you think maybe, just maybe they'll pull it off but nope... they all die (well, almost all).
To me, this is the movie out of Tom Cruise's entire career where he shined the most.

The ugly:

Love Live! The School Idol Movie
I just can't understand how you would take something that's as popular as Love Live, make a movie about it that is terrible and then have the ending be «we're all splitting up and Muze is dead»
Like... did you guys just kill your cash cow? Why would you do that? Are you thinking of making some kind of Cinderella Girl spinoff like IdolMaster? Because IdolMaster didn't kill their original cast for that and both are profitable.
I'm pretty sure anyone who wants to keep being a fan of Love Live will forever deny the existence of this movie.

Aldnoah.Zero
The first season was incredible and had that amazing WTF ending. Season 2 starts off really slow but they are slowly building the tension and you think you are going to get the best denouement ever but actually, all you get is the bad guy surrendering without any fighting and then going to jail... and that's it. No epic fight. Just the bad guy giving up while in possession of the most OP mecha ever.

Final Fantasy X-2
The 100% ending is so bad, I would recommend everyone to not 100% the game and take the normal ending as the real ending. The 100% ending undoing FFX's ending is a complete travesty.

The Dark Knight
I went to see the movie at the theater and the boat scene is so bad, it's the closest I've ever been to walking out of a movie. You'd think with the movie being so damn long already that the scene would be quick, but no, it gets dragged for an eternity of pure insanity. The choice isn't even interesting and anyhow Batman's solution isn't even worth the length of it all.

There are others, but those are the ones that I can think of at the moment.
Have at it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:11:25 PM by Annubis »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: The Best and the Worst endings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
Grandia 2 is pretty much the standard for every game not named The Last of Us (which might have my favorite ending in all of fiction).

It's feel good without being cheesy.  And it lasts long enough (like a half hour) that it does a really good job of taking time to answer all of your lingering questions about what happens to the characters post-game.

Also Shadow of the Colossus' ending is great because it guts you but also manages to leave you feeling hopeful.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:17:05 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Movie
Sphere (bad ending)- Great movie but the ending was meh. So I read the book because everyone knows the book is better than the movie. Although true, the book was better. Both the movie and the book had the same ending and I was left feeling "ugh."

Video Game
Atelier (bad ending) - The Atelier games from the Arland series, well I never got the good ending so that sucks. From the Dusk series I think I was only successful in Escha and Logy but I wasn't impressed with the ending or the story for that matter. And I didn't play Shallie but I am sure I'll feel the same way. I pretty much only play these games for the crafting.

Final Fantasy X (Great ending) - Who ever has played it, which I am sure most of us on here has everyone knows why. Its a little sad what happens to Tidus but overall great ending.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
An example of a good one I can think of is a movie that came up recently - Disney's Bolt.

Bolt is a dog who's the star of a TV show wherein he has superpowers - the gimmick is that they set up all of the practical effects so that he thinks he really has powers.  He gets separated from the crew and put in the real world, where he eventually learns his true nature as just a regular dog.  Near the end, he makes his way back to the studio just in time to see a pyrotechnical stunt go horribly wrong.  Bolt and his owner Penny (a young girl) are subsequently trapped in a burning sound stage, and he knows he can't do anything, but he has to try anyway, so he stands there in the smoke barking as loud as he can at the grate on an air duct until he collapses.  Fortunately, someone hears him, and they manage to rescue Bolt and Penny in time.  They quit showbiz and go live in the country, happily ever after.  I may not have made it sound as strong an ending as it is, but I seriously got choked up just typing it.

On the bad side, a lot of Stephen King's work.  But the "mixed bag" prize goes to his Dark Tower series.

One of the biggest villains in his shared universe, Randall Flagg, who survived a nuke in The Stand, goes down like a punk.  He gets eaten by a spider thing.  The main characters pay a visit to Stephen King himself (the series involves traveling between parallel worlds).  Stupid.  But there's this theme running throughout about cycles - kind of like the Wheel of Time - and at the end, the mainest of the main characters makes his way to the thing they've been trying to get to this whole time.  He ends up getting his hands on an item he's mentioned wishing he had a number of times in the series, and when all is said and done, he finds himself back at the very beginning of the series, with no memory of the series if my memory serves, but he's got that item.  And maybe that's going to make the difference this time.  A lot of people didn't like that, but I thought it was really fitting.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
Final Fantasy X (Great ending) - Who ever has played it, which I am sure most of us on here has everyone knows why. Its a little sad what happens to Tidus but overall great ending.

Man.... so good.  No ending of anything has ever emotionally destroyed me like that.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:40:32 AM »
I'm with ya on Bolt Tooker I honestly had forgotten that one and the whole theme of being told your a fantastical thing and then having to face reality of whatever you really might be.

Anyway best ending I'm going to have to go with..... hm FF9 was pretty charming.

Worst ending... hmm... once again... lets see probably Drakengard 1 or 3 just because of the insane rhythm mini game in both instances.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 03:25:10 AM »
I'm pretty difficult to please with endings. I don't like them too long because they waffle, nor do I like short and sweet which conveniently wraps everything up in a pretty pink bow. There's a right way to write a good, happy ending. Tales of Vesperia is a bad example of this because it just nips everything in the bud without any real resolution. Then again the entire final part of the game was stupid.

FFX is definitely one of my favourite endings because it's a huge punch to the gut. You've saved the world but what have you lost in the process? Skies of Arcadia's ending is pretty darn good too because it tells you what happens to every single crew member, and I love that.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
Dune's probably the most off I've been pissed by a book's ending.

There's nothing to really spoiler here. It just stops. There's no real buildup or climax, all of the bad guys die very quickly (and Feyd does basically nothing) and then I guess the real ending is in the next two Dune books that nobody liked.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:37:59 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
Ugh, that is disappointing.  Makes me glad I stopped after the first book.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
Ugh, that is disappointing.  Makes me glad I stopped after the first book.

I'd say that Heretics and Chapterhouse are worth reading, but again, Chapterhouse kinda just ends without a satisfying conclusion (then again, you only need to go for a chapter or two to get to the part where some idiot (probably Duncan Idaho) fires a Lazgun at a Shield (spoiler alert: Duncan Idaho dies. News at 11)).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:55 PM »
Code Geass was really awesome and unpredictable, until the last two or three episodes and it felt way too obvious that they were building up to it.
Rolo's death scene though, that was fantastic.

The Dark Knight was a good movie overall and the boat scene was IMO the best/most memorable part by far, though I thought it was towards the end of the second act, but I haven't seen it in a long time and I have trouble motivating myself to watch it again.

My personal least favorite ending off the top of my head is Return of the King the movie, but at the time (and even now) I generally don't watch movies over 3 hours in one sitting so that ending dragged.

Man.... so good.  No ending of anything has ever emotionally destroyed me like that.

Grave of the Fireflies demands your attention.
And also Now and Then Here and There.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I got the impression that by the end of the Dune series, all of humanity is a Duncan Idaho clone except for Babymode Paul, who turns into a giant robotic penis with a human face.

... This is what I get from looking at the cover art, at least.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
Code Geass was really awesome and unpredictable, until the last two or three episodes and it felt way too obvious that they were building up to it.
Rolo's death scene though, that was fantastic.

The Dark Knight was a good movie overall and the boat scene was IMO the best/most memorable part by far, though I thought it was towards the end of the second act, but I haven't seen it in a long time and I have trouble motivating myself to watch it again.

My personal least favorite ending off the top of my head is Return of the King the movie, but at the time (and even now) I generally don't watch movies over 3 hours in one sitting so that ending dragged.

Grave of the Fireflies demands your attention.
And also Now and Then Here and There.

No thanks.  I already got the gist of those and am just not going to do that to myself.  X broke my heart in a way I can relate to.  Those will just... make me want to kill myself and others.  No.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
When it comes to endings, I always talk about Legend of Dragoon.  The "ending" ending after the final boss was very good (I'd say it did the "Grandia II" type ending someone mentioned before Grandia II), but what made that game for me was the entire latter half.  The first 2 disks were a slog, but disk 3 was when the story started to get really good and my reaction was, "Damn, what took you so long to finally get good?!?!"  So this was a game where the first half was a slow burn but it ended really well.  In contrast, Thousand Arms was a game that started off well, but the second disk felt immensely rushed. 

In terms of anime, I can't think of a more beautiful ending to a series than Cowboy Bebop's.  A lot of really good anime series don't end well (Escaflowne comes to mind), but Cowboy Bebop did.  Although I gleaned more enjoyment from Outlaw Star than Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star's ending was noticeably rushed since it kinda had to quickly sum up many volumes of the manga in two sentences and it didn't quite work in resolving all the hanging plot threads. 

In books, I loved how Brandon Sanderson ended the first Mistborn trilogy.  Everything felt "right."  I've read too many books where the authors wrote themselves into a corner or two and the ending suffered for it, often becoming illogical.  Sometimes there's that whole "big epic explosion" method of ending things when writers have written themselves into a corner with no way out. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
Best

Before Sunset

Final Fantasy IX
Actually, I will say FF games in general do endings very well.  FF9 is totally a reward to the players, but I can't ignore FFX's powerful ending, nor the brilliance of 7's matching shots of Aeris.  The medley in FF6 is fantastic as well and a creative take on an ending which is less an epilogue than just making an escape. :P

Blair Witch Project
I wasn't crazy for the movie, but the ending is chilling af

My Fair Lady
No "I love you's" no kisses, no nothing.  Then I realized how oddly rare it is for a tale with a popular romance to go without the leads really declaring it.  It's there, but never said out-right.

Utena Movie
Just because I couldn't believe that whole end sequence (and sure, it's a happy ending!)...  I don't necessarily think this is "the best", I think I just like the surrounding circumstances: I was watching this the night gay marriage was legalized in the USA.  It was weird coming off this movie to that news. x)
Anyways, Utena is a fantastic odyssey, so why not rank it.  The TV show had a pretty epic finale too.

The Departed
I really liked how the film's side character sort of becomes its underdog.  I always like reading into it since Dignam was never really seen without the Captain, but he's obviously capable more than a right-hand man might be, and he gets the final hurrah.

Undertale
They're all unique and amazing...!  (oh, dis-honourable mention goes to the secret bad ending FROM the good ending...fuck that HARD...)

Xenoblade
Kinda why I like Undertale's too to some extent.  It's so JRPG epic, it's a bit cheesy, and it's pretty happy and sappy.  yaaay

word

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Tragic, beautiful, rewarding, and can't say you'll really see that many Thanksgiving movies.  John Hughs was great at ending his films.

Can't think of many worsts... I'll have more later maybe.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!