Author Topic: The Best and the Worst endings

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Re: The Best and the Worst endings
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »
The Secret of Kells - Overall I hated that movie and so naturally I didn't like the ending.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »
Best ending to a four-panel comic strip:

"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 03:23:08 AM »
Oh and the end of Thread of Fate once you complete it all and see the whole picture, was really surprised by that one.

Props for Mint being a super cool princess in that one.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
BAD

I still feel like I got screwed over with Breath of Fire 3's ending and its been years!!!

Anti-climactic ending sequences in JRPG's are not exactly something that surprise me, but BoF3 hurt my feelings more then most. Maybe it was because I was stuck in the desert for so long beforehand I felt entitled to something more grand or profound then I got... **shrug**

Next up, I want to note Bloodborne. I loved bloodborne and count it as a stellar game in so many respects. Then you have the 2 standard endings which leave you with NOTHING but questions and worse yet, shoehorn you right into NG+ without warning. Bloodborne may in fact be the most punishing ending of all time for me as a result of the latter point in particular.

GOOD

FF7 Crisis Core gets special recognition even though I am not a huge FF7 fan. Why? Well when you play a whole game knowing damn well how its gonna end and they still manage to make it as emotionally wrenching as they did to witness with crisis core, I am impressed.

Trails in the Sky FC. I just didn't see the twist coming and it blindsided me. I hardly remember much of the title, but the ending itself stuck with me vividly to this day (and has me more than certain the other LoH titles are on my agenda in the future).

Tales of Xilla 2. Narratively speaking the Xillia saga may not have been coherent at every turn, and you sure stood the distinct possibility of getting a less than desirable ending. However, the one ending in particular was so wrought with self-sacrifice and Japanese-Jesus thematics I couldn't help but be moved in spite of the dark nature of it all.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
Oh and I'm sure this will go over well but I thought the ME3 ending was really intense and surprising, even though obviously it was somewhat bitter and negative (I would of preferred a different choice than the ones given) it still was quite powerful in it's own way.

Honestly though I liked all the ME endings (save 2, which I wasn't really a fan of in general, just kind of felt by the numbers)

But yeah ME1 saving the citadel and doing all that was pretty great as well.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »
When it comes to endings, I always have to mention FF8.  The ending itself is visually stunning with artistic creativity and CG effects that are impressive even now, 19 years later.  But I felt that it was nothing short of wacky and nonsensical, castle sequence and all.  The entire endgame sequence (read: disk 4) felt completely tacked on, like the writers completely wrote themselves into a corner and pulled a "hail mary" out of thin air.  

For all its flaws, though, FF8 is still my favorite FF.  

And it's not lost on me that every time I talk about FF8's ending, I use the phrase "nothing short of wacky."

FF9, in my opinion, had the best ending of all the PlayStation-era FF games.  Everything made sense to me (even Necron's presence), and when Zidane
Code: [Select]
sat with Kuja to comfort him during his final moments was really touching to me. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:05:10 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »
I have to second your kudos for the ending of the Mistborn trilogy.  It really is satisfying.

I was mentioning to someone the other day the difference between how Lost ended and how Avatar: The Last Airbender ended.  The former, terrible and made fans angry.  The latter, amazing.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
It's interesting how so many fantastic authors fall flat when it comes to endings.  Like in my experience with Neal Stephenson's books (I've read Snow Crash and Diamond Age), the beginnings and middles are great, but the guy couldn't write good endings.  

Other cases for me were the Divergent trilogy where the first two books were good, but the third was terrible.   I appreciate the worldbuilding to bolster what many believe is a flimsy premise in the first book (though it's certainly not the first to pigeonhole people into 5 factions- Brave New World placed people into 5 castes a long time ago), but some of the characters' actions seemed arbitrary, illogical, not wholly in line with series continuity, and as if Roth was trying to write (sometimes retcon) herself out of several corners by hail mary-ing all over the place.  The result was a complete trainwreck of an ending with a shocker that felt artificially shoehorned in.  

To add insult to injury, Allegiant's the dual-protagonist perspective didn't work for me.  I love the idea of dual-protagonist perspectives and initially thought it was a nice change of pace (in Allegiant, the two POVs are Tris and Tobias), but the Tobias chapters were limp.  Veronica Roth cannot write a male character effectively.  Tobias' chapters read all girly/emo-kid and were indistinguishable from Tris's.  Tobias is supposed to be a tough guy and I didn't read any tough guy machismo in his chapters.  I get it that thick-skinned tough guys often have traumatic pasts that made them thick-skinned in the first place and hitting that hot button can be emotional, but tough guys don't turn into dishrags and still carry themselves with bravado in the face of adversity.  

And with the Harry Potter series, I thought book 7 of Harry Potter was terrible.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 books, but I thought book 7 was an absolute slog to read.  Okay, the last 1/3 of it was solid, but the end felt like Rowling was desperately trying to suddenly write and retcon herself out of corners and a lot of little things fell out of line with the world's logic and characters' continuity.  And I will admit, Aberforth's story was good and I liked how Dudley actually developed a little bit.  Maybe there is a shred of hope for Dudders.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:34:57 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »
I think my winner for bizarre, what the fuck endings, has to go to the Manga version of S-cry-ed. At some point, within the final chapter or so, the main character gets some kind of power-up and fights against some kind of unwinnable foe and gets punched all the way back to the prehistoric era where dinosaurs still roam the earth and the guy gets up and fights a T-Rex and eventually wins, and then eventually dies of old age or something, but his arm/main weapon remains as a fossilized artifact which gets dug up into the far future, and he's revived and gets his own starship or something and the rest of the cast joins him and the whole thing is just utterly insane (and I'm surprised that the Getter Emperor didn't pop out at some point during the proceeding montage).

Then again, the anime's ending kinda just shoehorned in a villainous government organization to pick a fight with everyone else and a couple of characters died because they overused their powers or something and it was pretty lame....right up until the MC and Rival had their showdown (which was one of the better ones).

Another anime with an awful ending was Chaos;head (or really, it was more like it had an awful second half). It started with a murder mystery and an unreliable narrator protagonist, and by the half way point, it tried to solve its own mystery with the most Technobabble, Tenchi Solution, Male Power Fantasy explanation possible. Or in short, a wizard did it (and the conflict at the end was a complete joke to boot). But then, given that this was written by the same guy who gave us Bravely Default, let's just say that I wasn't surprised when BD's second half also 'shit the bed' due to some poorly thought out, technobabble bullshit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
Let's see what I can come up with.

Best

Fullmetal Alchemist (manga...and I guess second anime by extension): Now I'm sure some people will say that it is cheesy...but I like sentimental cheese. However that isn't the reason that I'm listing it. The reason I am listing it is because it is a perfect tie up of everything that happens in the series. It gives a perfect conclusion with that makes it clear that everything was planned out ahead, and done so very well.

Steins;Gate (true route and anime): Again ties everything together perfectly in a way that makes it clear everything happened for a purpose and there were no wasted beats in the story.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: I love this game so much. It has an excellent ending which wraps up everything perfectly. Well I guess it only "wraps everything up perfectly" because it is a prequel so it just needed to get things to a certain point, but I think it did an excellent job at it.

Trails of Cold Steel: While this ending did leave a lot of unresolved plot points, it did an excellent job as a cliffhanger ending of getting me excited for the rest of the story. I think Trails in the Sky FC did something similar, but my memories of Cold Steel are fresher in terms of how much I am anticipating the rest of the story (and by the time SC came out I barely even remembered anything).

Worst

Sands of Destruction: This might not be the ending per say. But it happens in the final dungeon, so I am counting it. So it is revealed in the final battle that the evil plan of the final villain is that he is going to restore the planet by using alchemy to turn humans into plants...because they are renewable resource! This is so stupid. His plan is going to have diminishing returns since humans are going to have to eat more plants to grow to maturity than their body mass at transformation will produce. It is just so stupid that words fail me. I mean the rest of the game isn't good, as it is just trying to copy the plot of Xenogears without understanding why it was good, but this plot in the final five minutes will always be the first thing I remember about the game because of how stupid it was.

Bleach (manga): Technically not over yet, but it has been in the final arc for years now, and it is clear that this final arc isn't being driven by any narrative necessity. Rather it is being driven by Kubo digging through old journals with notes for abilities and trying to come up with meaningless fightsjust to show off the random ability idea he had for captain number 34 or whatever.

Negima (manga): As a contrast to Bleach, Negima narratively had one more arc that was set up and was necessary to wrap everything up...and it just skipped it. It still happened, but almost no details were provided. Just time skip past the events to provide an ending because of contract arguments or something.

Reboot: It needed another season dammit!

Another anime with an awful ending was Chaos;head (or really, it was more like it had an awful second half). It started with a murder mystery and an unreliable narrator protagonist, and by the half way point, it tried to solve its own mystery with the most Technobabble, Tenchi Solution, Male Power Fantasy explanation possible. Or in short, a wizard did it (and the conflict at the end was a complete joke to boot). But then, given that this was written by the same guy who gave us Bravely Default, let's just say that I wasn't surprised when BD's second half also 'shit the bed' due to some poorly thought out, technobabble bullshit.
I have read that the visual novel is significantly better all around, but I admit I have not played the VN or watched the anime so entirely second hand knowledge.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
His gripes with Chaos;Head's ending applies to the VN as well, sadly. Great start that devolved into nonsense.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
His gripes with Chaos;Head's ending applies to the VN as well, sadly. Great start that devolved into nonsense.

I wasn't a fan of Stein's;Gate's solution of stuffing the Genie back into the Bottle either, but at least it didn't require literal magic to resolve.

As for FMA, the Manga's ending (and by extension, Brotherhood's ending) was so much better than 03's ending, its not even funny. 03 went completely grimdark by making Alchemy itself run off of dead people and that the events of the series caused WW1 in another dimension, and ultimately led to Ed getting stranded in said alternate dimension with his Father, who himself just kinda showed up and got jobbed into said dimension but Dante. Sure the Seven Deadly Sins crew got better development over their Boss Fight squad counterparts in the other versions, but they were still the Boss Fight squad in 03, and it really didn't justify the shenanigans that led to bizarre crap like The Archinator or the weak ass Mustang Vs. Pride battle.

Especially since the Manga/Brotherhood version paid itself off with several fantastic fights, and even did the impossible and had your typical Red Shirt Cannon Fodder squad chipping in during the Final Boss fight and actually accomplishing something without getting horribly killed for it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »
Oh and I'm sure this will go over well but I thought the ME3 ending was really intense and surprising, even though obviously it was somewhat bitter and negative (I would of preferred a different choice than the ones given) it still was quite powerful in it's own way.

Honestly though I liked all the ME endings (save 2, which I wasn't really a fan of in general, just kind of felt by the numbers)

I won't let you be the lone voice on this matter Art' as I happen to also think ME3 had a fantastic ending for the trilogy. When I say that, I'd actually argue that I found all the endings substantially satisfying to be honest. By far my favorite was the 3rd that was released after everyone had a shit-fit over it, but they all worked in my book.

Now that you bring it up, all 3 games were intensely satisfying in terms of their endings. I feel foolish for not having listed them in my post.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Sure the Seven Deadly Sins crew got better development over their Boss Fight squad counterparts in the other versions, but they were still the Boss Fight squad in 03, and it really didn't justify the shenanigans that led to bizarre crap like The Archinator or the weak ass Mustang Vs. Pride battle.
I'd argue that the majority of the manga Seven Deadly Sins got really good development (Lust, Gluttony, and Sloth being the exceptions). And I think it gets even better when you consider that their development (at least in terms of their sin) is essentially development of Father since they were born of his desires. So they show a very interesting image of where Father started from before he got to where we are at the time of the manga.

I won't let you be the lone voice on this matter Art' as I happen to also think ME3 had a fantastic ending for the trilogy. When I say that, I'd actually argue that I found all the endings substantially satisfying to be honest. By far my favorite was the 3rd that was released after everyone had a shit-fit over it, but they all worked in my book.

Now that you bring it up, all 3 games were intensely satisfying in terms of their endings. I feel foolish for not having listed them in my post.
I'll agree that ME3 deserves to be mentioned in this list, but that is more under the worst ending portion than the best ending portion. :p

Really I think ME3 did two of the worst things that an ending can do. First it added a plot twist that is so stupid it hurts to hear (honestly I'm not even sure whether I would consider it better or worse than humans as a renewable resource that I mentioned above). Second it didn't tie things up at all. The latter can likely be expected (although not excused) since the main writer was changed midway through, but the former...I'll never understand how anyone thought that was good idea. And this is without getting into how OOC my Shepard felt throughout the entire ending dialogue.

As for the other ME endings, ME1 was a well done action piece. Don't consider it to be amazing, but I have nothing that I would criticize it for either. ME2 was...boring? I dunno. Nothing is really standing out for me. Also for some reason my brain is putting the ending dividing line for ME1's ending right before the Saren fight begins, but for ME2 the dividing line is after Shepard makes it back to the ship. Considering the human reaper, I'm not sure if that is helping or hurting ME2.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
I think the human reaper could have been done in a way that didn't feel stupid.
I mean, the reapers being a part of history which they destroy is a neat idea.
There's also the problem of 'what is a reaper' changing so many times throughout the trilogy...