Author Topic: The Best and the Worst endings

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: The Best and the Worst endings
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
FF7 Crisis Core gets special recognition even though I am not a huge FF7 fan. Why? Well when you play a whole game knowing damn well how its gonna end and they still manage to make it as emotionally wrenching as they did to witness with crisis core, I am impressed.

So dang true.  I was a weeping mess.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »
It's interesting how so many fantastic authors fall flat when it comes to endings.  Like in my experience with Neal Stephenson's books (I've read Snow Crash and Diamond Age), the beginnings and middles are great, but the guy couldn't write good endings.

Huge Neal Stephenson fan here, but I agree... he positively doesn't give a shit about his endings. Everything wraps up in half a page and it's like "NEXT BOOK!" Snow Crash, Zodiac, and Criptonomicon (favorite) all have positively worthless endings. Snow Crash is probably the shortest and worst, though. That said, none of them are BAD per-say, but they're abrupt and obvious. There as-if he's saying, "yeah yeah, you know what's going to happen, so I won't bore you with the details: bad guy dies, THE END". I need to read Diamond Age.

THE GOOD:

FF8, 9, and 10 all have some of the finest endings in video game history, but all for radically different reasons. 8's FINAL FANAL ending is just dramatic and poignant (not talking bout the weird shit leading up to the ending). I love how it shows the kids being kids in their natural environment, goofing around and celebrating with a camcorder, you don't usually get to see that hardly at all. FF9 is just heart wrenching and beautiful. I'm not crazy about Necron, though, and felt like it undermined Kuja as the ultimate villain (and my favorite in the series), but aside from that it's absolutely flawless. FF10 is just... gut wrenching. Jesus.

THE BAD:

Grandia 2 had the worst ending ever (surprised to see this on someones good list). Totally side-steps the major relationship conflict throughout the game in order to not take sides, and turns each character into a milquetoast version of their prior personality. I wanted to scream at the TV. I give this the "Afraid to hurt anyone's feelings" award of the century.

THE UNFORTUNATE:

Suikoden V just made me scream. Unless you get all 108 stars (which is almost impossible due to some weird glitches and unexpected permadeaths), he games pulls a BAD ending out of nowhere. Overall, fairly light/medium hearted game that ends with an unnecessary emotional gut punch unless you're ridiculously careful. I even had a guide but still lost 3 stars due to a glitch and a permadeath during one of the under-explained tactical sequences (nothing in the series suggests there will be permadeaths and they are completely random). I ended the game feeling so let down, I had to go online and watch the good ending, and pretend I got that instead, or I couldn't fall asleep that night. Great game, terrible design decision for the ending.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 05:52:54 PM »
FF7 Crisis Core gets special recognition even though I am not a huge FF7 fan. Why? Well when you play a whole game knowing damn well how its gonna end and they still manage to make it as emotionally wrenching as they did to witness with crisis core, I am impressed.

So dang true.  I was a weeping mess.

The other interesting thing about the impact Crisis Core's entire narrative and ending sequence had on me was changing my perspective and feelings toward 7 as a whole. As time went on and it all sank in thereafter, I think back on it and can't really stand Cloud, love Zak and Sephiroth and actually developed some love for the whole enchilada.

Before that I had a drastically different, far less emotional, attachment to 7 based on my time with the original main installment.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
THE BAD:

Grandia 2 had the worst ending ever (surprised to see this on someones good list). Totally side-steps the major relationship conflict throughout the game in order to not take sides, and turns each character into a milquetoast version of their prior personality. I wanted to scream at the TV. I give this the "Afraid to hurt anyone's feelings" award of the century.

Content-wise, I wasn't a big fan of the end
Code: [Select]
Ryudo about-faces into a bleeding heart, Millennia comes back from the dead, but the way the ending was presented was really good.  And that final boss music was amazing. 

I still posit that Legend of Dragoon did that style of ending much better. 

I need to mention Chrono Cross too.  I've only beaten the game once and I liked the ending I got, but my favorite part was the song "Radical Dreamers" that plays during the end credits.  It was incredibly gorgeous.  I also loved the CG sequences, particularly the "real life" ones interspersed with the game CGs.  That was a really nice touch. 

Years ago, I played this VN called Yo-Jin-Bo and eventually got all the endings.  Each character has a good and bad ending.  My favorite ending out of all of them was Monzan's bad ending.  Go figure, I liked a bad ending better than the good ones. 

Memories Off is worth getting a Game Over in because that "bad ending" is really sad. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 05:28:56 AM »
Another anime with an awful ending was Chaos;head (or really, it was more like it had an awful second half). It started with a murder mystery and an unreliable narrator protagonist, and by the half way point, it tried to solve its own mystery with the most Technobabble, Tenchi Solution, Male Power Fantasy explanation possible.

I was thinking this right before I read that you brought this up, though I liked a few moments in the last few episodes, namely revealing the identities of Grim and Shogun.
I guess an example of the reverse being true (anime that starts out shitty and the second half is really good) would be Shuffle.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »
The Shuffle anime has by far the best harem anime ending.
They schooled the entire genre (and nobody listened apparently...)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »
I need to mention Chrono Cross too.  I've only beaten the game once and I liked the ending I got, but my favorite part was the song "Radical Dreamers" that plays during the end credits.  It was incredibly gorgeous.  I also loved the CG sequences, particularly the "real life" ones interspersed with the game CGs.  That was a really nice touch. 

Chrono Cross' ending credits song is the greatest end credits song in the history of video games.  I cry every time...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »

Chrono Cross' ending credits song is the greatest end credits song in the history of video games.  I cry every time...

Nope. If anything it's second best because there is no surpassing Song of Mana

That's just as epic as VGM gets.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »

Nope. If anything it's second best because there is no surpassing Song of Mana

That's just as epic as VGM gets.

Apples and Oranges.  Both fruit, but completely different beyond that.  I like that CC's end is just an acoustic guitar and a pretty voice for most of it before climaxing into a gorgeous and mournful chorus of voices belting out a heartwrenching melody.  Song of Mana is just... a song.  With your typical Japanese instrumentation and a nice melody, of course, but nothing particularly remarkable beyond that.  It would also help if the game it's at the end of weren't a grindy mess of poor design decisions, so that way GETTING to the end weren't an impossibly tedious task.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 03:17:04 PM »
Apples and oranges is why I hate it when people ask me things like "what's your favorite game?"  And why it's so tough to make "best of" lists - is Diablo 2 better at being an action RPG than Disgaea 3 is at being a tactics RPG?  And how much of that is down to just my own preferences?

I am reminded of the "classic" line from Megamind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFXEcI_AA4&feature=youtu.be&t=27
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Apples and oranges is why I hate it when people ask me things like "what's your favorite game?"  And why it's so tough to make "best of" lists - is Diablo 2 better at being an action RPG than Disgaea 3 is at being a tactics RPG?  And how much of that is down to just my own preferences?

I am reminded of the "classic" line from Megamind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFXEcI_AA4&feature=youtu.be&t=27
Besided, the arguement is about what you prefer to hear, not which category of it you prefer to hear. I'd rather eat an apple than an orange, he'd rather hear the song of mana ending theme than CCs.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »
And the "apples and oranges" thing is why I don't like when people ask me my favorite band.  Honestly, I don't have one.  I have songs I love, albums I love, genres I love, and artists I love, admire, and respect, but I simply cannot pick one favorite band.  If you asked me my favorite genres of music, I could easily give you a top 3, but even then I like to listen to a wide variety of music when the mood strikes me. 

Anyway, endings.  Fear Factory's "Obsolete" album is pretty intense.  If you really listen to it while reading the lyrics and digesting the story, you will run the gamut of emotions and possibly be left almost crying by the end.  Great stuff. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:23 AM »
His gripes with Chaos;Head's ending applies to the VN as well, sadly. Great start that devolved into nonsense.

I wasn't a fan of Stein's;Gate's solution of stuffing the Genie back into the Bottle either, but at least it didn't require literal magic to resolve.

As for FMA, the Manga's ending (and by extension, Brotherhood's ending) was so much better than 03's ending, its not even funny. 03 went completely grimdark by making Alchemy itself run off of dead people and that the events of the series caused WW1 in another dimension, and ultimately led to Ed getting stranded in said alternate dimension with his Father, who himself just kinda showed up and got jobbed into said dimension but Dante. Sure the Seven Deadly Sins crew got better development over their Boss Fight squad counterparts in the other versions, but they were still the Boss Fight squad in 03, and it really didn't justify the shenanigans that led to bizarre crap like The Archinator or the weak ass Mustang Vs. Pride battle.

Especially since the Manga/Brotherhood version paid itself off with several fantastic fights, and even did the impossible and had your typical Red Shirt Cannon Fodder squad chipping in during the Final Boss fight and actually accomplishing something without getting horribly killed for it.

Both animes are in my top 10 and I know I'm in the minority but 03 is better from beginning to end. What I like a lot better in 03 is that actions have concequences, i.e equivalent exchange. Also the Homunculi in Brotherhood had all the personality of a midboss from a RPG. Kick, punch, meteor, firaga, stab, kill, gain exp, move on.

I watched brotherhood again a little over a year ago and it had been a while and I had almost completely forgotten the ending. Which is what that ending was, a very well done and completely forgettable standard everyone lives happy ever after shonen ending. 03 on the other hand for all it faults (I blame the fact that they left some purposely left some loose ends because I think planned on making the movie and/or movies and another season in that universe. In the end I guess it was just cheaper and easier to remake the manga), its Ed vs. Envy in a battle that's as personal and gruesome as it gets, and finishes with the the sacrifices Ed and Al have to make in the aftermath. Holy shit, I'll never forget it and would have been fine if they just ended it at episode 52 without the movie.

This review of both endings is pretty much word for word about how I feel about the 2 animes but explains it 1464356753X better than I possibly could:

https://3episodetest.com/2015/07/10/daily-attendance-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-episode-sixty-four-end/

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 07:02:25 AM »
His gripes with Chaos;Head's ending applies to the VN as well, sadly. Great start that devolved into nonsense.

I wasn't a fan of Stein's;Gate's solution of stuffing the Genie back into the Bottle either, but at least it didn't require literal magic to resolve.

As for FMA, the Manga's ending (and by extension, Brotherhood's ending) was so much better than 03's ending, its not even funny. 03 went completely grimdark by making Alchemy itself run off of dead people and that the events of the series caused WW1 in another dimension, and ultimately led to Ed getting stranded in said alternate dimension with his Father, who himself just kinda showed up and got jobbed into said dimension but Dante. Sure the Seven Deadly Sins crew got better development over their Boss Fight squad counterparts in the other versions, but they were still the Boss Fight squad in 03, and it really didn't justify the shenanigans that led to bizarre crap like The Archinator or the weak ass Mustang Vs. Pride battle.

Especially since the Manga/Brotherhood version paid itself off with several fantastic fights, and even did the impossible and had your typical Red Shirt Cannon Fodder squad chipping in during the Final Boss fight and actually accomplishing something without getting horribly killed for it.

Both animes are in my top 10 and I know I'm in the minority but 03 is better from beginning to end. What I like a lot better in 03 is that actions have concequences, i.e equivalent exchange. Also the Homunculi in Brotherhood had all the personality of a midboss from a RPG. Kick, punch, meteor, firaga, stab, kill, gain exp, move on.

I watched brotherhood again a little over a year ago and it had been a while and I had almost completely forgotten the ending. Which is what that ending was, a very well done and completely forgettable standard everyone lives happy ever after shonen ending. 03 on the other hand for all it faults (I blame the fact that they left some purposely left some loose ends because I think planned on making the movie and/or movies and another season in that universe. In the end I guess it was just cheaper and easier to remake the manga), its Ed vs. Envy in a battle that's as personal and gruesome as it gets, and finishes with the the sacrifices Ed and Al have to make in the aftermath. Holy shit, I'll never forget it and would have been fine if they just ended it at episode 52 without the movie.

This review of both endings is pretty much word for word about how I feel about the 2 animes but explains it 1464356753X better than I possibly could:

https://3episodetest.com/2015/07/10/daily-attendance-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-episode-sixty-four-end/

I'll agree with you on the point that you really don't remember anything from Brotherhood.

The point about Alchemy wasn't equivalent exchange, but that the game is rigged so that the house wins every time, which was the point behind Mustang losing his sight and what fueled Edward's solution to the matter. In spite of all of 03's excessive blood and guts, it never involved someone getting stuck with a bum alchemy deal like Mustang did in Brotherhood. All the sacrifice in 03 was foisted upon the 'other world' which means that any and all death in the 'other world' is totally attributable to whatever went down in Ed and Al's land of magic; it's like using a Fire Hose to apply Ranch Dressing to a Small Bowl of Salad. And Brotherhood's Homunculi were all a product of Father's experiments which is why their abilities and quirks were largely based on their namesakes rather than something human. For all of 03's 'development' of the Homunculi, nobody ever explains what's up with Gluttony (who the hell could ever look like that? and why would anybody bother with human transmutation to bring something like him back?). Plus Dante was a piss poor final boss, to the point of needing Envy to hijack the role from her at the end (and getting offed by the recurring loose end of Gluttony). Also, the Archinator literally made no fucking sense (wow, Automail can bring a guy who's lost over 50% of his head and body back from the dead without any loss of cognitive ability, while making over 50% of him super powerful and virtually indestructible (in spite of Automail needing constant maintenance and causing severe physical issues for everybody not named Archer), with this kind of technology, who needs Alchemy to bring somebody back from the dead; it's too bad that somebody forgot to Automail the other 50% which made it so that Maria Ross of all people could bring him down with a couple of shots from a single handgun). Even the failed Fuhrer candidates of Brotherhood weren't that ridiculous or out of left field (even if they were totally ridiculous).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
Ok, so yeah, this is probably one of if not the best endings I've seen which is the end of Lufia 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE4WoHl1KJE

Major spoilers of course, gosh thing hits like a freight train.

Edit: Also I find all the FF endings to be pretty great

X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWkniXDC_4

IX (already posted and such)

VIII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qy1GLPOtmY

VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52-4yk_BYE

IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P321OwFE_oc

III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P321OwFE_oc

And HM to Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, it was raining I must confess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_2OFYiod4

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:09:42 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.