Author Topic: Nioh: Visceral High Eastern Fantasy Combat

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
Nioh: Visceral High Eastern Fantasy Combat
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »
As some of you might be aware, the alpha demo for the PS4 "Souls Clone" Nioh hit PSN this past tuesday. My first hour or 2 with the game left me feeling rather negative, but with the help of a friend who lives and breathes technical bullshit mechanics, I was able to receive the proper instruction (which the game does a TERRIBLE JOB of giving, by the way) and achieve the mindset necessary to break through that initial barrier of "what the shit am I doing dear god dear god." The game is as much about decreasing the enemies' stamina as their health bar, and you've gotta get used to those cancels too.

Anyway, Tecmo Koei's got a survey to fill out for all of you who got a chance to play it:

Nordic Americans: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_us
Eurofolk: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_uk
The Nippon: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_jp

I had some (I think) good critique to give and I'm interested to see what you all think.

1. Tone down equipment degradation for armor, especially since there doesn't seem to be any good way to keep an eye on it until its defense has ALREADY been halved. That's not great.

2. Make the target lock indicator stand out more, and consider having movement when locked on be a strafe. There were a few times I retreated and then tried guarding but I was facing the opposite direction. That's not great.

3. Dodging does a Ki Pulse in low stance, and attack skills do a Ki Pulse in high stance. Maybe have guard do a Ki Pulse in Mid stance.

4. I don't think elixirs heal enough.

5. There's a ton of items in this game, and only 3 shortcuts? The controller has an entire side of the touchpad free, use it to access a "quick menu for more shortcuts a la Blüdbourne.

All in all, my negative experience became a more positive one once I got a good handle on how you're generally meant to play, but this game is NOT for everyone. Heck, maybe even MORESO than the From Software property it imitates. 
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Nioh: Visceral High Eastern Fantasy Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:16:59 PM »
Here's Rob's preview from the front page, in case anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Nioh/index.html
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Nioh is not related to Neo is he?

I'll see myself out.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »
Played through the demo and stopped after beating the first boss. The game is probably a lot more artificially difficult than it has to or should be but it does put in some interesting ideas. Ki pulsing is basically active reloading for melee attacks and once you get the hang of it, it feels quite cool. I really like the stance changing and the kind of meta stuff that brings as well as switching your move set on the fly. Support the decision for the diablo style loot system too, enemies exploding like pinatas feels good and it's nice to have any way for people to progress so they don't feel like they're slamming their heads into a brick wall that is a tough encounter or boss over and over again.

Downsides, there's a lot to be worried about in the game too. Hopefully there'll be more weapon types than just hammer, axe, sword, spear. Yeah, too many weapon types might make the skill tree too big but they really should take advantage of the japanese setting and give us some more unique weapons and not the same old weapon types, kusarigama'd be cool. Also, enemies do crazy damage in this game, combined with the huge bonus damage to hitting peoples backs, a lot of enemies can one shot you in the beginning of the demo. Yeah if you grind a bit to get some better equips you'll actually be able to take a few hits but the difficulty curve in the beginning's quite brutal.

One last thing, did they confirm there'll be PVP in this game? or will the fight peoples ghosts system be the only interaction with others?
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
Meant to comment on this earlier but I was too busy enjoying my 4 day weekend.

I totally loved played the alpha for Nioh and I feel confident that this game is going to be better in Dark Souls, but thats probably because I don't like Dark Souls. I love how you can change the stances on the fly and you can be strategic with your stances. The mid stance is probably my favorite because it regenerates your stamina bar. The skill tree and combos were cool. The controls are easy to learn and the UX is clear and easy to understand. The equipment is amazing since each item could be different in stats and effects.

I got the impression from a lot of people that if you ran out of stamina or KI, it think is what the game called it, that you were pretty much dead. I don't know if people realized you could just roll away. Also the game is pretty balanced since the enemy has a stamina bar too and you can take advantage when they run out as well. So idk, I feel like it was fairly balanced, but became really difficult when fighting more than two enemies at a time. I also didn't understand how I was putting on better gear and leveling up but the enemies didn't get any easier to beat. Almost as if they level up with me as well, which was strange.

Also what was up with those outlaws or ghost? I thought they were dead players souls but the A.I on them was insane. I barely could get a hit in. Was anyone able to beat those things?

Luckily this was an alpha so I know there will be changes. Hopefully good ones.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
bought this game and powered through while streaming it for about 25 hours. Did anyone else get this game? it's really good and the soundtrack is amazing. Bonus points if you've played sengoku basara or just know the general japanese history the story is about.

I feel it does bring some innovation to the genre. The ki pulse and stance changing along with the wealth of attacks you can learn really makes it so you have a lot of choice in how you want to deal with combat. Co-op is interestingly done too since if you want to co-op a mission with your friend one of you has to have beat it already. This restriction gets lifted in ng+ and there's quite a few mechanics that only appear in ng+. Fighting revenants is also rewarding since you guaranteed get a piece of gear from who you beat, so "pvp" is usually a nice way to get gear if you feel like you're not getting good drops from the enemies.

A downside for some is though that the end game is a lot like diablo 3, turning it into a loot hunt and about forging the perfect gear(you can even reroll stats on your gear like d3).

Anyways, if people want to do some co-op lemme know, in ng+ and just co-oping with people
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:02:04 AM by kofvscapcom »
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
bought this game and powered through while streaming it for about 25 hours.

Did you beat the game in 15 hours? In one go?
How do you think is the difficulty of the game? I've heard it's hard but since you're since there's an element like Diablo I'm thinking if you can grind for a good drop and get better gear to ease your progression.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
I've played two Souls games (Demon's and the first Dark), and despite the critical fellatio they received, they disappointed me greatly, with their difficulty seeming too artificial, given the repetition and punishment if you die, and I'm not willing to try a Souls-style game again. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:59:48 PM by Der Jermeister »

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
You said it, it's probably my feelings with these games. I've beaten Demon's Souls, played most of Dark Souls 1 (until I lost a save), and almost of Bloodborne (until the borrowed copy I was played was taken back).
I do enjoy the looks, soundtrack, the world itself but the unnecessary difficulty most of the times just gets in the way of the game. I'd rather the bosses stayed just as hard and the enemies were easier, or at least gave you more XP. Maybe more healing items, something that would make these games more fun and less an exercise in frustration.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
While I don't have Nioh yet (I'm waiting until Mid-April, when the big update drops, because I hate myself I guess), I'm expecting it to be difficult - less because of the Souls comparisons, and more because it's a Team Ninja game, and they know how to make Hard games that are also fun instead of purely frustrating. I also kind of gave up on the Souls series because of how frustrating it could be - Demon's Souls especially is just tedious rather than difficult. It sounds like Nioh has plenty of options to tune the gameplay and difficulty, so hopefully I won't get the problem where I'm just throwing myself against a brick wall in order to progress.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
The first half of this game is quite good. The second half so far is just a slog of basically the same shit you did in the first half of the game with slightly different areas to do them in.

APAROT

• All-around Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Bitacora de un Gamer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
I finished this game, and right now I'm at Sekigahara on Way of the Strong! One of the best games I've played this generation! Really looking forward to next Team Ninja Project! I hope many of the elements translates into Ninja Gaiden 4!