Author Topic: Overwatch an expensive version of TF2

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Overwatch an expensive version of TF2
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:34:58 PM »
So I am watching people stream The Overwatch and while I have no doubt in my mind I will like the game because they have a lot of classes and gameplay modes. In less than 5 minutes I notice how this game reminded me of Team Fortress 2. Now I get the feeling really I'm just paying for an expensive version of TF2. I guess its not a bad thing since I haven't played TF2 in years and its a pretty outdated game. But I feel like people are seriously over hyping this game when all it seems to be is a nice version of the game. As I said earlier I am sure the Overwatch is going to be a good game, maybe even great. And I am sure they will add elements to the game that make it unique but so far all I see is TF2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch an expensive version of TF2
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
Edited because the deed is done.

Also, mild interest in this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:10:06 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:07:30 PM »
Moved.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
I'm very upset I never received any notification about early access to the open beta for pre-ordering. Just have to wait until the weekend like everyone else.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:31:37 PM »
@missRPGirl: Blizzard replied to the Team Fortress 2 comparison back in BlizzCon 2014.

---

The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan [Part 1] / Return of the '90s Shooter [Part 2] / 21 Hero Salute [Part 3] -- GameSpot, YouTube

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »
Overwatch is very much like the president said "Blizzard, the game"

If you are a Blizzard fan, you are going to enjoy it.

If you aren't the biggest Blizzard fan, you can probably still at least respect it.

Having played so many Blizzard games over the years I'm somewhat ambiguous as to how I feel about it. I think it'll be plenty of fun and I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it, I may even hop in a few matches, but it's hard to justify expending even more on Blizzard games I feel considering how much has been already spent by myself on WoW and such.

I kind of always gravitate to WoW in many ways at any rate, just something about that world that was so amazingly appealing to me.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
Tried the beta last night. Fun stuff, handles well (though the lack of aiming down sight disturbs me), and fairly fast paced. Lots of characters to mess with, all somewhat different from one another with ups and downs each. I'd say try it out, but I don't expect to be buying it, as it ends up being a very simple experience unless you live for multiplayer versus shooters.

TASTY!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 01:41:22 PM »
I kind of always gravitate to WoW in many ways

That's my problem. I've seen with WoW how poor Blizzard is at PVP...
I just can't trust them with this.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »

Well WoW wasn't built for the PvP at all, it was added in around patch 1.5 or something or other, I was there when it started and well what can I say it was perfect for what it was (a random World vs World chaos thing)

It helped that I was a rogue though.

As for as Overwatch goes honestly I think they're kind of limiting themselves by kind of using Tracer for most of the promotional stuff, they made quite a few interesting characters, IMO.

Like, well Widowmaker

Actually she is showing up more and more these days though.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:15:36 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Speaking of Blizzard did anyone else Squee uncontrollably when Sylvannas showed up in the Legion trailer? Like um, these people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCaF-LmOmpo

Sorry for the OT =-P

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »

I dunno. Heroes of the Storm is still the only MOBA that doesn't make me want to burn the genre to the ground.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
I dunno. Heroes of the Storm is still the only MOBA that doesn't make me want to burn the genre to the ground.

You probably like it for the very reason I hate it though =/

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
Its basically TF2 but it's really well done.  There is really nothing different here but the classes are fun, the abilities are awesome, and the map design is great.  It's a really fun class.based shooter.

There are two concerns I have.  First in terms of competitive play the game is going to be a nightmare to balance.  Some heroes are just to strong and out class everyone in their respective class and in the right hands dominate everyone. This including Mei (the ice girl), Bastion the robot turret, Reinhart the hammer guy, the DJ healer(aka Eddy from Tekken), the cowboy , Tracer, and Gengi the ninja.  Comp teams are prob going to run some combination of these heroes.  Not to say the others are boring they're not they just can't keep up.

2.  The thing TF2 has going for it which keeps the shooter going forever and I see this with all shooters is Steam Workshop.  The ability to make your own maps and junk for the game and the ease of allowing your friends to play these mods just keeps the replayability going forever.  You don't need to wait for the developer to make anything, you or the player base will make it.  Overwatch will never have this which will kill the game in the long-term just like a lot of shooters.  Modding is why games like Quake 2 and 3, Unreal, Counterstrike (and all half life games) lasted so long after they were released.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:12:55 PM by ScottC »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
Bastion is ridiculous. If the defending side has 2+ Bastions it's hardly even worth making the effort. 90% of the games I've played have had a Bastion player win PotG.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
Bastion is ridiculous. If the defending side has 2+ Bastions it's hardly even worth making the effort. 90% of the games I've played have had a Bastion player win PotG.

Genji is the hard counter to Bastion, the sword bullet reflect kills the Bastion in half a second which is why I added Genji to the list.  But yeah your right if your playing Bastion and your not firing at a Genji your just going to rack up kill after kill after kill.  Worse even when a Reinheart just shields the Bastion all day long.