Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 10:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341561 Posts in 13957 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Thought-Provoking RPG Suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Thought-Provoking RPG Suggestions  (Read 7846 times)
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a deep, thought provoking RPG to play, for PS2.  (or PS, I guess.)  I thought I'd ask for recommendations here.  I've already played the SMT games and Xenosaga...any other really thought provoking rpgs out there?  I'm eyeing Magna Carta, primarily just because it's an Atlus game, but I don't know if it's "thought provoking."

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »

If PlayStation is OK as well, I would suggest either of the two Matsuno games (Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story) or Chrono Cross. On PlayStation 2, the two Kingdom Hearts games have a fairly deep story as well, that is if you can deal with Disney characters and worlds.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:47:39 PM »

Do you import?  If so, then I believe there was a PlayStation 2 version of Ever 17.  

That game was extremely philosophical and thought-provoking.  I reviewed the US released PC port.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/ever17/index.html

KID's Infinity series of adventures (Never 7, Ever 17, and Remember 11) are quite intelligent and thought-provoking.  I haven't played Remember 11 yet, though, but I would guess it's on par with Never 7 and Ever 17.  

I've heard Hourglass of Summer (I can't remember the Japanese title offhand) by Princess Soft is a very thoughtful love adventure.  I'm thinking of picking up the US interactive DVD version.  

Thing is, these games aren't RPGs, but graphic adventures/digital novels.  If that's a showstopper for you, then...

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

Quite frankly, you're fucked. Outside of the suggestions already listed and the games you played, you're better off reading books or at least looking at different genres.

If you'll accept games /period/, take a look at Killer 7. Maybe it's considered pretentious by some, I don't know. I imagine it WOULD be the type to get that reaction. But even if it is, it'll leave you going 'what the fuck' for a good long while.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:41:39 PM »

How sad there is such a limited amount of that kind of genre.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:59:49 PM »

For the PS I suggest both the NA released Persona games (though they are a bitch to track down).  Xenogears is a MUST in case you haven't picked it up (you only listed Xenosaga).  Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Tactics are also very good games that I highly suggest.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 11:38:54 AM »

I know you're asking for PS/PS2 suggestion, but I'd really recommend that you check out the PC RPG Planescape: Torment. Not only is it one of the best RPGs released on any system, it's also plenty thought-provoking.
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »

Hm...thanks for the replies!  I've already played most of the games recommended (I didn't feel like posting a list of every game I've played...).  I guess I've done pretty well at finding the sorts of games I'm interested in.  Oh well, I was hoping to discover some gem I've never heard of.  

Perhaps I should just branch out to other genres.  Or, study Japanese and start importing interesting games that never make it here.  Hmm...

Oh, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned Arc the Lad: ToTS.  That game was deep.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »

Deep and thought-provoking................

Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story are definitely my highest suggestions. Chris W. hit it right with those. FFT is also good.

Another one to consider, although it only has a few brief moments of "depth" and "thought-provocation" going for it, is Star Ocean: The Second Story. There were some things about its plot that really hit me hard. Give it a look-see.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize that PS2 is lacking in the "deep RPG" department. Especially in terms of obligatory religious references. Xenosaga and SMT are about all you have...and you already played those!

I have some hope for Ar Tonelico being deep, but it won't be out for another 6 months at the earliest.

Ramza

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

Ahh, so you're looking for US releases.  Even still, some of my suggestions can still stand.  Ever17 and Hourglass of Summer are available in the US. Check out http://www.hirameki-int.com for them, as Hirameki published them.

Forgot to mention Phantom of Inferno. Also a very cool title published by Hirameki.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/phantomofinferno/index.html It's not necessarily a deeply philosphical game that will make you ponder life, the universe, and everything else, but it does offer points of view that I normally don't see in video games.

I pretty much figured you'd played the Persona games and various SMT games so I didn't suggest those.  But again, the stuff I've suggested is either for PC or DVD players (but the PC requirements aren't steep) and they're Japanese adventure games in that they're digital novels that play out in a "Choose Your Own Adventure" style and many people don't like that lack of interactivity.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 10:45:38 PM »

I recommend Shadow Hearts 1 if you still can find it. It's probably a rare game by now. Then get Shadow Hearts 2.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:44:19 AM »

I need good suggestions too.

I would like to play another great RPG but Iím hesitating between Wild Arm 4 and Grandia III. Thereís also Digital Devil Saga I never tried, but Iím not sure if it will be able to find the earliest episode in store. Which one should I pick? I love RPGs with a serious and deep atmosphere.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »

Without a doubt Digital Devil Saga, if you can find it. Grandia 3 is a waste of money, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Wild Arms 4 from friends who've played it.

There's also Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, but that will probably not be any easier to find in stores than Digital Devil Saga. Your best bet for both games is eBay or similar sites.

Dragon Quest V: Dragon Quarter is another game with a dark and serious atmosphere, which should be both cheap and easy to get a hold of. Not everyone seems to like its unique setting and gameplay, though.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 01:09:48 PM »

I'm always looking for deeper, more thought-provoking rpgs. Or just serious rpgs, period. A lot of "goofiness" going on in games now.
Anyway, I've pretty much given up on games giving me much to think about. Books and movies are where thats at.
I'm hoping Suiko V ends up kickin ass. We'll see.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

There's also Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, but that will probably not be any easier to find in stores than Digital Devil Saga. Your best bet for both games is eBay or similar sites.

It's too bad, I don't like/trust used games :(

It would be nice that someday videogames remains universal in stores like with movies. You still can find brand new old movies in popular stores, but not videogamesÖ After one year of existence, a game become a rare piece of collection (apart greatest hits, but they are mostly Sony related games or hyper popular games).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: