• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
The "what was your first anime?" Thread
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »
So, yeah, what was your first anime?

Technically, I could say something like Voltron, Robotech, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Transformers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, or any of the other 1980s cartoons I watched as a kid but didn't know were anime... But the first anime I watched that I knew was anime and I watched it in Japanese with subtitles was Devil Hunter Yohko.  I have a funny feeling this explains some of my anime tastes.  The series itself wasn't top tier and there were some continuity issues, but I loved it all the same.  One thing I found fantastic about DHY was the music.  All the vocal songs were stellar and the music pieces that played during the series, especially the battle scenes, were all killer too.  

So what was your first anime?  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:00:48 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: The "what was your first anime?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »
Well I'll give an answer similar to the answer you mentioned not giving and say DBZ. My friend turned me on to it in junior high, and as a young teen I was really into it, then as an older teen I looked back on it and realized how ridiculous the whole thing was. Now as an adult I reflect on to it with some level of nostalgia and charm.

I *think* the first non-dubbed anime I watched was Lucky Star, but then I could have watched a dubbed version and just remember it wrong. Either way, LS was the first anime I watched with full awareness that I was watching anime. Still love that one, too. Its just so cheerful and lovely and inconsequential. Great to watch when I just want to smile for a bit.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
The first anime I watched to discover what anime was was Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
First anime I knew was anime: Akira

Technically the 1st anime I watched: Speed Racer.

The 1st I watched subbed: Escaflowne, I think.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
Last Exile was the first one I watched on my own from beginning to end.  But the real credit goes to Adult Swim for showing Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.  I  got into anime pretty late (college) and since I'm a sucker for a space western and was usually up at 2 am anyhow back then, it was sort of exactly what I needed to have my interest piqued during exactly the right time in my life when something like that was most appealing.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
Dragonball Z/Sailor Moon. I remember waking up at 6am to watch them before school. Good times.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 01:10:15 AM »
The Woozles. I still remember seeing those last couple of episodes and going 'Wait. This has a plot?'....would gladly trade that for Devil Hunter Yohko though (now THAT would've caused some serious issues for me in the long run).

Otherwise it would either have to be Speed Racer, that one show staring famed soccer football star Pele (assuming this was an anime and not some weird Brazil export), that 80s Wizard of Oz cartoon (again assuming this was an anime) or David the Gnome (assuming that collaborations between animation studios across the Pacific count).
Code: [Select]
I'll be honest, if it wasn't The Woozles, it would either have to be The Borrowers or that one series of fairy tales that came out in the 80s (not to be confused with that other anime series of fairy tales that came out in the 80s).

Admittedly, I kinda started figuring out what anime was early on thanks to waifuing Super Valis IV's Lena way back in the day.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:57:15 AM »
Dragon Ball Z in the 90s along with a whole bunch of other people.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:14:09 AM »
Aeolus- are you referring to Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics that they used to show on Nickelodeon?  Those were great.  I loved the Puss in Boots one.  I didn't know that was anime until the Internet told me. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »
I was coming in here to say Gundam Wing, but as I was typing my response I realized that those dates didn't work. As that got premiered in the U.S. two years after the Pokémon anime which I watched religiously for a while. So yeah, that would seem to be the first one I know I watched. I think I saw some snippets of Speed Racer before that, but I am uncertain I ever saw a full episode.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
I was watching anime dubbed in Chinese as early as I can remember. Hard to remember which was the first, but it was probably either Doraemon or a Studio Ghibli film (Castle In The Sky or Totoro). I think the first one I watched dubbed in English was Voltron.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
The Flying House/Superbook.

No, seriously.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
Unaware: Heidi. Thanks to that, I share a lot of nostalgic feelings with Japanese viewers and I;m able to get like all the Heidi jokes.

Aware: Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade, I think.

Completely on purpose (Pokémon excluded): Neon Genesis Evangelion. All 26 episodes in a row with only short bathroom breaks in between. We were young and overconfident.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »
Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, and I guess technically The Little Nemo (these were those "I was so young I didn't even know what anime was" titles).

Ranma 1/2, Oh My Goddess, Fushigi Yugi, and The Slayers started me off when I was in my pre-/early teens.
I got into a bunch others from there... now it's sort of tapered off unfortunately; rather less titles but a more honed in sense of what I like.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Um... Pokemon, probably?  And the DBZ.  The first anime I watched that I knew was a thing called "anime" and that I wanted to watch, though, was Cowboy Bebop.

Ranma 1/2 was my first manga.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons