Author Topic: Should a game ever have auto battles?

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Should a game ever have auto battles?
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
So currently I am playing though The Return to PopoloCrois and this game has auto battles. The battles are incredibly easy, so easy that I have auto battle turned on 98% of the time. The only time I turn it off is if a boss does a lot of AoE damage or a status effect like confuse hits most of my team. As convenient auto battles are I feel a disconnect from the game I'm playing, to the point where I rather have a more tactical or interactive battle system or no battles at all. Auto battles in PopoloCrois is a little different from most older games that had an auto system. PopoloCrois auto system literally starts upon a fight and you don't click anything.

Other games I've played with auto battles are Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2 (i think it had it), Pier Solar and Lunar 1.

Anyone else know of games with auto battles? Do you like auto battles? Convenient? Or too easy that its a nuisance? Write your opinion and thoughts. 

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Should a game ever have auto battles?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »
Since you mentioned Suikoden, it was more or less a mass "Attack" command, spells or items wouldn't get used and you couldn't select a target so it wasn't the most strategic option. The reason I think it is worth it is because Suikoden has a very large party in battle and IF you were just going to attack a random mob with basic attacks, the Auto command is pretty convenient.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:03:30 PM »
Grandia?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
No, but I do like the idea where weak enemies leave you alone (like in Xenoblade) or other clever solutions (Wild Arms featuring that crystals and battle skip system).
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
I think it works on very easy battles, say if you're backtracking, but I'd rather not even have to bother taking out weaker enemies because it's a waste of time and gives you no reward. I do get why they're implemented in some cases, but it's just a waste. Isn't part of the fun working out how to take down an enemy yourself?

There's the auto command in FFXIII which made the game stupidly easy and very boring, and then Persona allows you to put your characters on auto, but the latter example actually speeds battles up (in 4 and possibly 3 as well as far as I can remember)

Going along with some of the other suggestions, EarthBound has a system where if you're too strong for an enemy and they encounter you, you automatically beat them without heading into battle. I like things like that because they don't slow the experience down.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:22:01 PM »
Going along with some of the other suggestions, EarthBound has a system where if you're too strong for an enemy and they encounter you, you automatically beat them without heading into battle. I like things like that because they don't slow the experience down.

Basically this. Unless there's a good reason to be doofin' around with scrub fights, chances are Auto-resolves will trump Auto-battles every time.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
Is it... Atelier (PS3) where if you're a much higher level and you get the jump on an enemy in the field (pre-emptive attack) it auto resolves? I liked that system.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
Lunar's auto-battle option is dumb because it's more like a "waste a lot of MP and HP doing the wrong thing." Given how movement/range works in that, even if you're just doing normal attacks against easy enemies, you have reason for putting certain characters on certain enemies.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »
No, but I do like the idea where weak enemies leave you alone (like in Xenoblade) or other clever solutions (Wild Arms featuring that crystals and battle skip system).

Legend of Heroes from the Gagharv Trilogy what you were talking about. If you were 5-10 levels above the monsters they would actually be afraid of you and run away. So backtracking was great because you could just walk though the map without being attacked.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:42:11 PM »
Is it... Atelier (PS3) where if you're a much higher level and you get the jump on an enemy in the field (pre-emptive attack) it auto resolves? I liked that system.

I wanna say it was Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk where you could do that, that was a pretty good system as well and you were still rewarded with drops I think.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 12:55:52 AM »
I guess technically tower defense and RTS games, like Unholy Heights and Pixel Junk Monsters, but those are obvious.
One of the really cool things Persona 3 did, but not Persona 4 iirc, was let me tell party members to go attack (mostly weak) enemies without me going into battle, and since it was brought up in the podcast, WA3 has useless slooooow as fuck auto battle.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
The PS2 SMT games had Rush, where everybody auto-attacks at lightning speed. Due to enemy tendency to wreck your shit in those games, it's only worth using in a situation where winning is a foregone conclusion, and even then it's a bit of a gamble.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 06:02:31 AM »
At least give me Phantasy Star 4's Macro system where you could at least build your own Auto-Battle options (even if it ever came to the point where you needed to start putting together Macros for something other than Combo Techs, you were doing something wrong).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 06:46:57 AM »
Most recent Fire Emblems have had auto battle options. Tactics aren't great, but I have used it when grinding kills or support. So I like having the option to save time when doing mindless grinding. I know I wish had had an auto battle option while playing Valkyria Chronicles and was grinding for 300+ kills for my last decoration. >.>

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 05:08:30 AM »
FFXIII had this, never saw much of a point in that game. The commands weren’t fully optimized but from what I observed would get you through most battles. Maybe useful for people whose only interest was the story? They could just hit Youtube and save the monies, if so.

However, I found out that making up strategies on the go and timing the shifts was fun, the game had systems nice enough that letting it go "auto" was a waste. FFXII had a similar "issue" too if you set up your gambits correctly. I remember comments at the time about how the game would basically play itself.

Speaking of FFXII, the same applies to Dragon Age: Origins. Configure the tactics and then just sit and watch, except in difficult battles. It was quite handy because it cuts down most of the most micro management tedium which seems to be inherent to real-time with pause.

Etrian Odyssey and recent SMT titles had this too, if I'm not misremembering. Useful to make short work of lowly mobs.

So I guess it depends on the game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:15:14 AM by Draak »