Author Topic: Should a game ever have auto battles?

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Re: Should a game ever have auto battles?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
I thought about mentioning FFXII with their gambit system but I still felt involved in the battle system than most games.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »
I thought about mentioning FFXII with their gambit system but I still felt involved in the battle system than most games.

Yazma...
Make gambits and leave the game on for 12 hours or so.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
The problem with FFXII is that it offers options that just aren't viable. I once tried to play the entire game with battles set to Active Mode, but it just isn't viable in situations where you need to heal quickly.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
The problem with FFXII is that it offers options that just aren't viable. I once tried to play the entire game with battles set to Active Mode, but it just isn't viable in situations where you need to heal quickly.

That's because of the priority set upon queried actions, as since at least X-2, every action has an invisible secondary timer attached to it, excepting the basic Attack Command, and the developers know of this, and abuse the fucking shit out of it by designing bosses that put up some kind of basic attack pailing/immunity, overload the query/freezing all secondary timers, then proceeds to grab your player character by the hair and slowly punch your utterly helpless face in. The primary strategy for dealing with Zodiark in XII is to Mist Knack your way through the last 30% of its health bar or else you basically all but lose outright.

FFXII was a weird game where the Gambits can be really fucking powerful, but because the rest of the game is so heavily balanced against the player that they become almost completely necessary to do anything.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.