Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
Beat it yesterday, took me about twenty-eight hours. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

Dayyyuuum that is quick. I am about 20 hours in and just got to Bur-Omisace.

I spent a lot of time looking at license boards and trying to plan my job combos. The 2x is great for the trash mobs, but I play at normal speed for bosses and hunts because those are usually pretty epic and I want to take that in.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
But then, this was a game that decided to hide an endgame superweapon from players by setting up arbitrary failure conditions on otherwise mundane chests all the way back at the very start and early game segments as well as another one later on, just to be sure.

Wasn't there also, like, 10 chests in the room with the Zodiac Spear and you had to open the correct one first or else lose it at the last second?

I think it was more about remembering to remove the goddamn Diamond Bracelet because that would 100% screw you over, just like with every other top tier treasure chest you might think it'd be actually useful on.

Actually, looking it up. The reason why you want the Zodiac Spear chest first is because all of the other chests give Dark Matters with the Diamond Bracelet on (and Knots of Rust without it), whereas the ZS chest will also give you Dark Matter with the Diamond Bracelet on, but you screw yourself out of the Spear at the last second.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2017, 03:14:26 AM »
I got this game but I haven't played it yet.. some day.

On my original FF12 run, not only did I not get the ZS I didn't know of it's existence until like 4 years later when I read about it somewhere.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:36:59 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
Beat it yesterday, took me about twenty-eight hours. Definitely a worthwhile experience.
JEEZ.

I clocked in somewhere between 36-38, I wanna say? Though I did do some side quests and got an extra Esper. I still need to go back and do some hunts, get all of the Espers, and raise my average party level to 50+... I'd really, really love to get the Platinum for this. But that means doing Trial Mode, and for the life of me, I cannot get past Stage 17.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »
I suppose I should probably be using the turbo mode to get through this game faster, but as of yet I haven't bothered. I remember the last time I had about 109 hours in the game, and at that point I had all the Espers, everyone at max level, and just needed to do the last hunt before Yizmat, Yizmat himself, and Omega

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
JEEZ.

I clocked in somewhere between 36-38, I wanna say? Though I did do some side quests and got an extra Esper. I still need to go back and do some hunts, get all of the Espers, and raise my average party level to 50+... I'd really, really love to get the Platinum for this. But that means doing Trial Mode, and for the life of me, I cannot get past Stage 17.

Stage 17 is like a rite of passage: if you can get past it, you're good for like 40 stages after it.  Don't give up!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
Having reached the Stilshrine of Miriam, I must now adjust my neutral opinion of the reorchestration.

What they did with this track is really good.  Enough to justify the purchase of the game, even.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
I just beat
Spoiler: show
Gilgamesh at level 45. I was pretty cheap about it though, I abused Reverse. Got all the Genji Gear though.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
I had a dream last night that you could unlock "Job Costumes" on the license boards and now I'm sad.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
I had a dream last night that you could unlock "Job Costumes" on the license boards and now I'm sad.

I think there might be a missed DLC opportunity, here.  I'd pay money to see Ashe in a Red Mage costume. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

I think there might be a missed DLC opportunity, here.  I'd pay money to see Ashe in a Red Mage costume.

Oh my yes.  Or Fran in anything else.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
Okay, so I finished this game. For the first time ever! Woo!

Spoiler: show
The plot of this game is hot garbage. Haha. I like this game, I really do, but if someone tells me the plot of this game is good, I can't agree.
This is a 10 hour plot stretched across 60 hours. I don't hate the characters, but I don't feel anything for them. Any of fhem.

All my enjoyment came from getting treasure, exploring the world, the music, and hunting marks. And that's good enough. I can reccomend this game, but honestly, at the end, I just felt so over this games "story".

My playtime was 98 hours.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:25:45 PM by Starmongoose »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
I love the characters in XII.  Always have, even back when they were in a much worse game.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
I can't see it, sorry. They barely interact with each other at any point. Vaan and Penelo playfight in the background in a couple of scenes. They also don't have character arcs, they start and end pretty much who they were to begin with, except maybe Ashe. Ashe is dry as a bone through the entire game though so who knows.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »
You're not wrong.  But not only are they established well on introduction, but the world they inhabit is so interesting and well-realized that I just enjoy any bit of character interaction that I get, so I can understand these people better.  And a lot of the best scenes are really understated, rather than being overdramatic: Larsa and Balthier's snippy verbal battle on Mt. Bur Omisace is one of my favorite scenes, just for the subtle use of emotion.  And Vaan even attempting to comfort Larsa was so nice, considering how cold and heavy the atmosphere is for our heroes for most of the game.

Plus Balthier has some of the best writing in the franchise. :P