Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age (whoomp there it is)
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 12:48:18 AM »
My favorite part was running around Cerobi Steppes going "This is very nice looking for a region that you literally have no reason to ever visit beyond the fool's quest of trying to 100% the game."

Alternatively, if I decide to get this, I'm probably going to make someone (probably Vaan since he's got the look, although Ashe would do in a pinch as a discount Alena) into a Monk just to see if fighting barehanded is a viable prospect this time (in Vanilla FFXII, there's a License that ups the damage to your barehanded damage, except the bonus is pitiful, there's only one copy of the License, and it was at the backend and pretty expensive for a License which means that it was never useful).

Fighting barehanded in FF12 means to to spam 1000 needle or Numerology.

Yes. That was the implication of my post in regards to Vanilla FFXII.

Probably the best new enemy to come from that game was the fake save point. Also the final boss' one winged angel form was pretty cool and he had some nice looking attack animations in his human form. Actually, come to think of it, 12 had a lot of cool designs, I wouldn't mind Zalera to come back in another future FF. It's also interesting how we get some previous final bosses in summon form like zeromus and exdeath.

It honestly has my favourite set of summons.  It scores 10 points higher just because it didn't involve another incarnations of Ifrits and Shivas and Titans, and lo and behold She-Ultima joins up instead.

Yes. A bunch of old FF final bosses for Summons. At least now we know what the other Zodiac Braves would've been in the FFT2 that'll never be (too bad Cloud of Darkness wasn't one of them).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 01:06:44 AM »
My fav part was walking around snowy mountains with Vaan still refusing to put on a damn shirt.

(why do his abs look weird)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 01:49:33 AM »
I'm probably amongst the minority that really dug the first iteration in NA (I know you feel me, Heems!)
It's story did fall apart, that's a given, but the game's attention to detail blew my mind. Everything from art direction, to lore, to sound design was immaculately done, in my opinion. As for the lack of focus in the license board, as with Skyrim, just because you can make everyone do everything, doesn't mean you need to. I had fun keeping them to a specialization and then rocking that.
The combat was fun and fresh and breathed new life into spells that got little traction in past games. Instead of reserving my MP to haste and protect and things during boss battles only, I could buff on the field and have them last through several random encounters. THAT was rad.

Anyhow, I'm stoked for this because, as beautiful as the game is on PS2, up-res on the graphics is fantastic. That's all it needed. Aside from a stronger leading character but whatever the others are cool and that's fine with me also fix the story kthxbai.
Just Greg, thanks.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »
As for the lack of focus in the license board, as with Skyrim, just because you can make everyone do everything, doesn't mean you need to. I had fun keeping them to a specialization and then rocking that.

Except in Skyrim you have total transparency: you know what each skill tree does and can see the direction you want to build your character towards.  In XII, you start off staring at a bunch of blank squares.  Inexcusable.  You shouldn't need the internet to plan out your characters.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
My big issue with the License Board was like in that comic.  Why should I need a license to wear a hat?  Why can't I just go to the store, buy it, and equip it like normal RPGs allow me to do?  That arbitrary nature of the License Board made no logical or game-contextual sense to me. 

I liked the Gambits a lot, though.  I loved that I could fine-tune the AI of my party members, unlike in Star Ocean games where I found myself babysitting them so they wouldn't blow themselves up. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
This may sound crazy, but one of my favorite aspects of FFXII was the bazaar system. Really interesting way to do crafting without any needless micromanaging and recipe hunting.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 12:49:38 AM »
license board wasn't as big of an issue on account of how comically easy it was to get every damn last tile. If anything I wished it was harder to not just power level your way through that game (Read: This is why the job system will be a GOOD thing).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 01:22:40 AM »
This may sound crazy, but one of my favorite aspects of FFXII was the bazaar system. Really interesting way to do crafting without any needless micromanaging and recipe hunting.

Except for the part where selling and/or buying the wrong thing too soon meant screwing yourself outta the one sane freebie that the game generously gives you and screwing yourself into the MMO grind for a crack at another copy.

That said, I might have liked it more if it wasn't one of the two sane ways to obtain any gear prior to the late/end/post game (the other being Hunts) since everything was super expensive, even good loot sold for shit and ye olde RPG standby of chests were useless/aggravatingly grindy pieces of shit (95 percent of chests offered either a Potion, a Knot of Rust or pocket change that took till the halfway mark to offer more Gil than it took to buy a single fucking Potion; the rest were either hidden in postgame dungeons with stupidly rare chances to spawn, even rarer chances of not getting crap, only one shot to get anything from it and actively dicks you over by reversing the effects of the one item in the game that even tries to make this crap any less aggravating; or if you're lucky, offered a piece of gear that's not only 15 in-game hours out of date but was useless to begin with too).

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
Gotta chain 100s of enemies before opening a chest yo!

Also, the accessory that improves chest drop that actually makes them worst.
What's wrong with you Square??!

You want this unique item?
LOLOLOL it's 0.25% drop rate in this chest with only 1 chance at the item.
I hope you like save scumming!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
Gotta chain 100s of enemies before opening a chest yo!

Also, the accessory that improves chest drop that actually makes them worst.
What's wrong with you Square??!

You want this unique item?
LOLOLOL it's 0.25% drop rate in this chest with only 1 chance at the item.
I hope you like save scumming!

You neglected the part where where some chests have rates you need to hit to get it to even appear to begin with, and you have no way of knowing if it spawned or not until you reach the spawn point, and there's no ingame clue that a chest might be there unless its there, on top of the above.

And then IZIJ brought us invisible chests with all of the above issues (except needing to crawl up or down the Pharos, the one small mercy is that you find them on the various Airships).

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
Everyone rants about the treasure chest thing, but I have to confess that I made it through the entire game without even knowing that there was such a system in the first place.

It's not hard.  I never consulted any guides or anything (because I think guides ruin a first playthrough I generally don't use them...) or listened to comments on the internet.  I just played the game.  And if you're just playing the game, why would you ever reload an old save to try opening the same treasure chest again?  Why would you even think to do that?

I'm not really defending the system because I agree it is pretty dumb, but I think my point is that you don't *have* to let it ruin the game for you.  I enjoyed the game just fine without knowing such a system even existed.

(This approach is not recommended for obsessive completionists, but then FFXII is not recommended for obsessive completionists...)

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
Dag, this topic is haps.

Anyway what can I say I got really into this game one of the few games that I broke the 100 hours played on (along with Xenoblade and a few others), disappointed a bit by how it all went towards the end but it won't change how I feel about the other parts.

Also the Fran's age part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9HiUNeEho

Something to keep in mind ^_^

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 08:10:08 PM »
Everyone rants about the treasure chest thing, but I have to confess that I made it through the entire game without even knowing that there was such a system in the first place.

It's not hard.  I never consulted any guides or anything (because I think guides ruin a first playthrough I generally don't use them...) or listened to comments on the internet.  I just played the game.  And if you're just playing the game, why would you ever reload an old save to try opening the same treasure chest again?  Why would you even think to do that?

I'm not really defending the system because I agree it is pretty dumb, but I think my point is that you don't *have* to let it ruin the game for you.  I enjoyed the game just fine without knowing such a system even existed.

(This approach is not recommended for obsessive completionists, but then FFXII is not recommended for obsessive completionists...)

Its as I've said before, your greatest source of character growth comes almost entirely from Levels, Hunt Rewards, the Bazaar or that one-eighth of the License Grid that contains all of the innate abilities, Gambit Slots and shit. Everything else is going to be spent buying Gambits, Magiks, Technicks or those fucking Monographs since most common enemy loot sells for 1~10 Gil a piece for a long time, though you're not exactly swimming in loot until you start picking up Monographs, good shit sells for 1000 but is extremely rare and usually comes from Hunts or rare drops from late/postgame mobs, while you're looking at Gambits which take up 50 to 500 apiece and there are hundreds of those things, Magiks start at 200 Gil and skyrocket from there, Technicks are un/fortunately superfluous past the start until the optional dungeon stuff and those Monographs costs 18000 a piece. You just don't have the budget for buying much of anything beyond a basic set of gear and the occasional accessory (and endgame equipment will set you back tens of thousands of Gil apiece).

And this is in a game with a Sprawling World Map where there's effectively no chests or hidden loot worth finding. You're slowly trudging from one end of a wide open area to the other with no reason to ever bother straying beyond the beaten path (beyond Espers or Hunt Targets). Plus, all the horribly rare/optional stuff need/have Licenses on your License Board which means that a good chunk of that board is either completely useless or requires heavy grinding to even have a hope of ever using.

It all just disincentives to the player to really ever get involved in the gameplay beyond the Gambit programming. And while you can easily beat the main game without ever bothering to stray from the beaten path, the post game/optional stuff basically requires at least some of this shit. And this is coming from the same company that gave us Dragon Quest VIII not more than a year prior which did the World Map exploration thing far far more effectively than FFXII ever could.

TL:DR, FFXII's Action Economy is complete and total shit.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »
Me the day the day the news dropped:

"You know, it's been a while since I played a Final Fantasy game. And also a PS2 game...maybe I should-"
*Sees news*
"...not play Final Fantasy XII..."

Now if only Tidus finished puberty...oh well...prepare your panties, Cloud. It's time for another date...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
Did anyone else find Gabranth crazy sexy yum!

Haha sorry that was immature!
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.