Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age (whoomp there it is)
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
My favorite FFXII character was Basch, hands down.
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Say what you will, but Basch, Balthier, Ashe, and Fran are all some of the best FF characters ever.  Even Penelo made my heart all warm and fuzzy and she was relegated to bystander status for no good reason.  XII is 10/10 in the Character department.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
Ashe would be my favorite FF character if it weren't for that neon pink ultra-mini skirt. Not that the size of the skirt or even the color itself bothers me, but I swear it was the ONLY presence of a color THAT vibrant in the entire game and looked incredibly out of place.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »
Ashe would be my favorite FF character if it weren't for that neon pink ultra-mini skirt. Not that the size of the skirt or even the color itself bothers me, but I swear it was the ONLY presence of a color THAT vibrant in the entire game and looked incredibly out of place.

Yeah, but she's princess, right? She's just gotta look regal. I mean, she's got blue spandex underneath it, right? It's not like she's just wearing an extremely bright mini-skirt that brings unnecessary amounts of attention towards her...

...wow, my memory of these characters is way worse than I thought it was...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
I really liked Penelo right up until you were forced to rescue her.  I can't stand that kind of lazy plot device.

Despite that, I still liked her more than Ashe (who is essentially shoved down your throat).

Balthier>Fran>Penelo>Basch>Ashe>>>>>>>>>>>>>Van

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 11:36:56 PM »
FF12 had some great characters...and then there's Van.

If continue with the Star Wars analogy (with which there are a ton of parallels in FF12) then Van is basically Luke minus the whole force thing, any relationship to Darth Vader, or any relationship to the story at all, really.  He's just a kid who wanted to pick up some power converters and then somehow started following around the important people.

But I can't say Penelo was much better.  Her only reason for even being there was basically Van, making her twice-removed from the actual story.  Though I suppose if you just take Van's existence in the party as a given then her motivations made more sense at least.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »
I should see if I still have my copy of Revenant Wings that wasn't a bad game, but I never got around to finishing it.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 02:32:04 AM »

If continue with the Star Wars analogy (with which there are a ton of parallels in FF12) then Van is basically Luke minus the whole force thing, any relationship to Darth Vader, or any relationship to the story at all, really.  He's just a kid who wanted to pick up some power converters and then somehow started following around the important people.

But I can't say Penelo was much better.  Her only reason for even being there was basically Van, making her twice-removed from the actual story.  Though I suppose if you just take Van's existence in the party as a given then her motivations made more sense at least.

Vaan and Penelo are basically the party's C3P0 and R2D2 to the rest of the casts' obvious Star Wars expies. The bigger question is which one is which?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »
Say what you will, but Basch, Balthier, Ashe, and Fran are all some of the best FF characters ever.  Even Penelo made my heart all warm and fuzzy and she was relegated to bystander status for no good reason.  XII is 10/10 in the Character department.
Are they that good? I barely remember anything about FF12, but for some reason or another I recall finding the characters boring. I'm not saying I'm right, but that is what I recall.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
Are they that good?

I think so.  They eschew the basic archetypes, have complex motivations and intriguing backstories, and are very well-performed by their VAs.  Not only that, but their designs are striking and memorable without resorting to over the top Japanese style tropes.  They're very distinct among JRPG characters, by a long shot, and even stand out among FF characters.

Vaan and Penelo are basically the party's C3P0 and R2D2 to the rest of the casts' obvious Star Wars expies. The bigger question is which one is which?

Considering Penelo is adorable and cute and lovable and Vaan is whiny and annoying, I think the answer is of which one is which should be obvious.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2016, 03:33:57 PM »
Are they that good?

I think so.  They eschew the basic archetypes, have complex motivations and intriguing backstories, and are very well-performed by their VAs.  Not only that, but their designs are striking and memorable without resorting to over the top Japanese style tropes.  They're very distinct among JRPG characters, by a long shot, and even stand out among FF characters.

Considering Penelo is adorable and cute and lovable and Vaan is whiny and annoying, I think the answer is of which one is which should be obvious.

Hahahaha, perfect. I feel like Vaan only served as the introduction to the world and the main character switched once you met other characters. The game doesn't feel like its trying to force Vaan to be a main characters, hes just there. Poor  Penelo needs better tastes in men.

My favorite was Balthier but it might be because I'd want to be him. lol

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »
If some people here weren't aware, Vaan was shoehorned in the game because the higher ups thought people needed a teen to identify with.
The whole game was made Vaan-less and then they had to find reasons for him to be there at all.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »

You'd think that, but recall that R2D2 was actually useful and relevant to the events of the original trilogy, traits that frankly neither Vaan or Penelo could really claim.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »
^ Uh.... did you just ignore my irrefutable "cute and adorable" points about Penelo?  How is that not useful?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »
^ Uh.... did you just ignore my irrefutable "cute and adorable" points about Penelo?  How is that not useful?

Well for one, she's not hacking doors or repairing the not-Millenium Falcon &| not-X-Wing. The only time she's at all relevant to the story is when she's getting kidnapped and needing to be rescued. Even Fran got to pipe up about 'The Mists' every once in a while.

Though yeah, I'd put Vaan down as C3P0 before Penelo just because like C3PO, Vaan tries to make himself the center of attention even when he really, clearly isn't, while both also get a bone thrown to them with the Ewoks/bringing up his version of the Occura's Mind Tricks respectfully.