Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age (whoomp there it is)
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
I'm waiting for the (very likely to come at some point) PC version

Definitely count me in if this is the case. I dropped the PS2 version after I hit a crazy difficulty spike, and never got back into it. I'm willing to go at it again with the Zodiac system, and without the spell queue.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
Well, the game autosaves everytime you enter a new area, so I guess reloading to save scum this chest (i have no idea what you guys are talking about, I'm just going through Henne Mines right now) would be easy enough.

Its more of an end/post game thing where random chests finally start holding loot that's better than what you could've bought in the stores hours ago, but then said chests also had a bunch of RNG bullshit tied to them as well.

First off, the chests I'm talking about are mostly found in the Pharos or the section of Mine that Zodiark hangs out in. Both sections are royal pains in the ass to even reach due to their distance from the nearest Save Crystal. The Pharos in particular is also fucking huge and full of postgame bullshit that requires being grossly overleveled to deal with.

Now the RNG part starts as the chest containing the item you're looking for needs to spawn with like a 10% chance of that even happening (if Yes: proceed to the next part/ if No: leave the entire dungeon and return to try again).

Now you need to get the right item as there's generally anywhere from a 50% to 5% chance of getting what you want. Oh but first you need to make sure you Are Not wearing the Diamond Armlet (aka the accessory that boosts the rarity of a chest's item), otherwise you are guaranteed to pull Rusted Knots or other assorted trash items.

Oh, and if you did all the above and still got the lesser of the two items. Guess what? Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. Game Over. Return of Ganon. Do Not Insert Credits to Continue. Quit without Saving. Hit Restart and Try Again. Because the chests do not respawn after being opened.

And that's just the Chests. The Monster Drops are even worse (that one fucking Dagger; seriously, you have to trudge all the way down into the postgame depths of the Crystal Valley, one of the furthest reaches from a Save Crystal, build up a ridiculously high Chain Combo bonus on asshat Grenades in a completely different section of the valley, then maintain that Chain Combo bonus while trying to spawn the one-time rare encounter who's a complete asshat to even fight, and then beat that fucker before the Combo goes away just for a chance for that weapon to drop, or else you have to reset the entire process all over again).

Even if I had a PS4, I'm still not sure I'd ever want to waste my time or money on this game again. Squeenix during the hight of the Aughts were at their peak desire to make players grind like motherfuckers for their Swords of Infinity +1s, and I still haven't forgiven them for that, or the myriad of other game design issues that plagued their releases during that era, or their current business model of cashing in on players' nostalgia.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
I've noticed chests will respawn just by leaving a "room" of a dungeon and then going back in.  You don't have to leave the whole dungeon/region.  It's kinda broken, actually.
If anyone wants Main Gauche or 3 kinda early, just walk into Tracks of the Beast (secret area in Giza Plains Wet) and open all the chests, walk out, walk back in and open all the chests, repeat until Main Gauche.  You'll get plenty of other good stuff in the meantime, too.

Anyways....
How many here are playing this?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
Well, not EVERY chest. From what I've noticed there are certain chests that maybe have a fixed item that don't respawn.

And yeah, I'm playing it. I think it's pretty great, actually. Considering how much I hated this game as a kid.

It hurts my soul whenever the victory fanfare starts to play after a boss though...cause you don't get anything! It's quite frustrating.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »
It hurts my soul whenever the victory fanfare starts to play after a boss though...cause you don't get anything! It's quite frustrating.

You gotta steal your boss loot!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
I do, I do. I have 100% HP = Steal gambit on Vaan and Penelo, but it's just not the same. T_T

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
What's more satisfying than a huge
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
though?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »

I am not (which should not come as any sort of surprise to anyone who is familiar with my opinion on the game). I'm just reading the posts here because I read every new post in every thread in Single-Player RPGs. XP

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
I've noticed chests will respawn just by leaving a "room" of a dungeon and then going back in.  You don't have to leave the whole dungeon/region.  It's kinda broken, actually.
If anyone wants Main Gauche or 3 kinda early, just walk into Tracks of the Beast (secret area in Giza Plains Wet) and open all the chests, walk out, walk back in and open all the chests, repeat until Main Gauche.  You'll get plenty of other good stuff in the meantime, too.

Anyways....

Again. I'm referring to the postgame stuff. During the story portion of the game, you can easily get by on gear acquired through the Bazaar, Hunts and the occasional chest (like your aforementioned Main Gauche cache). But when its time to start rounding up Espers and going after the postgame superbosses, that's when you'll notice that you just don't have the gear to tackle some of the more ludicrous stuff like the Post-Game Pharos, the Post-Game Crystal Valley, or the Post-Game Henne Mines. Even farming Elementals sucks because of their iffy appearance rate and their shitwrecking stats. That's when you want the top of the line stuff, because FFXII decided that a good chunk of your stats (enough to determine a character's build at least) comes from Equipment rather than just through Leveling, and that's why the top tier stuff is either damn near impossible to find or expensive as hell (seriously, a Sage's Ring costs 22000 Gil; Scathe costs 18100 Gil, a Save the Queen costs 15500 Gil, Black and White Robes costs 13500 Gil apiece). Even the Bazaar doesn't really help all that much (a Diamond Sword costs 12500 Gil through a shop, but through the Bazaar it costs 11250 Gil and burns through 6 Bundles of Feathers, 6 Fire Magicite, and 4 Maggoty Flesh; not exactly a winning trade). Basically, the game does what JRPGs have done for decades past and since in making the post game all about scoring post game gear.

Also did they fix the issue with selling shit to the Bazaar (i.e. items used in multiple recipes go to whichever one gets completed first, even if the other recipe has a much better item for it)?

And on that note, my PSA for today is to remember to Steal from
Spoiler: show
Gilgamesh
every time he activates a cutscene. Remember, you only fight him twice and there are four pieces of Genji Gear to steal from him and you'll want those Gloves (they're the best accessory in the game).

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »
What's more satisfying than a huge
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
though?

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
Anyways....

As a fan of the original, I had originally planned on playing FF12-Z, but I had a less than stellar experience with the FFX remake, plus S/E's promotional material appears to be advertising something different than the game I remember.  It would feel awkward to buy a game that I liked from a company I don't.

I'm still perched on the fence.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
Again. I'm referring to the postgame stuff.

Or you could just not do the post-game stuff ;)

Maybe I'm just the anti-completionist here, but damn it FFXII is long enough without any of that.  It's not exactly a small game.  I see zero point in doing post-game stuff, particularly if it's as painful to do as you make it sound.

I completely ignored all that when I played the original and frankly I think it's part of the reason I seemed to enjoy the game more than most people.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:02 PM »
I actually enjoyed the post-game stuff in FFXII more than the game proper. Maybe I really am an absolute masochist when it comes to the grind.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »
Again. I'm referring to the postgame stuff.

Or you could just not do the post-game stuff ;)

Maybe I'm just the anti-completionist here, but damn it FFXII is long enough without any of that.  It's not exactly a small game.  I see zero point in doing post-game stuff, particularly if it's as painful to do as you make it sound.

I completely ignored all that when I played the original and frankly I think it's part of the reason I seemed to enjoy the game more than most people.

Normally I'd agree, but even Zodiark was a colossal dick, and he's far more manageable than Omega-XII, Ultima or motherfucking Yizmat. Like to the point where the only reason I couldn't beat him on the PS2 was entirely due to Spell Querying abuse and Palling Spam.

Seriously. The Esper's gimmick wasn't even that hard, you just had to switch between Physical and Magical attacks in what amounts to a damage race as Zodiark flips the fuck out when you get him down into the red. Except that once he flipped out, he overloads the easily exploitable Spell Query and shuts everything Magical down, so already you're in a damage race with two flat tires. Meanwhile he's getting like 12+ hit chains on your team easily and thanks to the 9999 damage cap, you can't put out enough damage fast enough during a single cycle of Palling to drop him. The only ways to beat Zodiark on the PS2 were either to catch him with a Mist Knack chain large enough to drop him before he can ever go into the red, or to be so completely overleveled that you could facetank long enough to make it through two or three cycles of Pallings and win the race on two flat tires. And every time you failed, you had to go all the way back through Henne Mines' Secret Area and its MP deleting, Query locking, Asshat enemies.

Needless to say, I've tried Omega-XII and Yizmat both once, and nope'd the fuck outta that horseshit.

And yeah, as obnoxious as the postgame was, it was at least more interesting than the main game post Giza Plains. You spend way too much time out in the ass end of nowhere for the game's second half to really care about playing the game, beyond tracking Hunts and Espers down.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
Confession time: I never understood Mist Knack and played the entire game without them.