Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age (whoomp there it is)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
As someone that played the original and thought it was pretty mediocre then played the zodiac job system version a few years later, let me say you should try this one out.  Everything that was mudane and annoying about the original is fixed in this version.  You need to plan your classes out, plan your licence boards out, adjust teammates in and out of combat to deal with certain bosses.  The speed up button helps everything out when doing hunts or sidequests.  And also no more treasure box's that you shouldn't touch.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
itshappening.gif
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
I hated the arbitrary nature of the License Board system so when the Zodiac system was explained to me, it sounded like something I'd have liked better.  Glad to see I can potentially play it soon. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:37 AM »
Would've preferred a disc release of Setsuna over a re-release of the second worst FF game.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 05:15:13 AM »
Is turbo mode just the ability to speed up battles and animations?

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 06:40:10 AM »
As someone that played the original and thought it was pretty mediocre then played the zodiac job system version a few years later, let me say you should try this one out.  Everything that was mudane and annoying about the original is fixed in this version. 
...Someone has to say its, so even the story? :p

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
I hated the arbitrary nature of the License Board system so when the Zodiac system was explained to me, it sounded like something I'd have liked better.  Glad to see I can potentially play it soon. 

You like this hat?  :O
Well fuck you! 
You need a license! :D

Is turbo mode just the ability to speed up battles and animations?

I'm guessing yes.

As someone that played the original and thought it was pretty mediocre then played the zodiac job system version a few years later, let me say you should try this one out.  Everything that was mudane and annoying about the original is fixed in this version. 
...Someone has to say its, so even the story? :p

It started so good.  As someone who didn't beat it, what went wrong??
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 09:48:34 AM »
It started so good.  As someone who didn't beat it, what went wrong??

They changed director about halfway through and the whole plot is from the first half gets buried and it just becomes a straight «FIGHT THE EVIL EMPIRE! because... reasons!»

Damn... this is pretty amazing (story recap): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUls_EQngQ
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:23:25 AM by Annubis »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
Also there was entirely too many references to Deifacted Nethicite for what it ended up being worth, and the Dynast King's Sword along with the latter version that you spend a good chunk of game trying to acquire are both garbage mechanically speaking (the first would've been a good sword 5 hours into the game versus the 15 hour mark you get it by and the second is acquired by the endgame and is exactly as powerful as the first; the Shards are only slightly better pieces of equipment and you lose those due to plot).

Also also, most of the <<FIGHT THE EVIL EMPIRE! because... reasons!>> that the game devolves into, all happens off screen. Kinda like Xenoblade Chronicles, except the thing that gets the offscreen fighting to stop is just a Death Star wannabe instead of a literal Apocalypse. Xenoblade Chronicles was seriously the game that FFXII wanted to be.

And the Judges that are both presented as a team of badasses and are the closest thing to running antagonists, are all either totally unremarkable speedbumps (save Gabranth due to being a Darth Vader wannabe) or are killed by plot (hell, Judge Drace was practically the precursor to XIII-1's Jihl Nabaat in terms of token female antagonists who get Worf'd by a cutscene death before you ever have a chance to actually fight them).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
So, since i already liked the original FF12, I guess this is a must buy.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
On the fence on whether to give it another shot. I honestly thought FF XII was a snoozefest. I was bored out of my mind after about 20 hours in the original version. I know everyone's saying that the Zodiac version/this version fixes most of the issues so maybe I'll approach it with an open mind.

You like this hat?  :O
Well fuck you!  

Ugh, the license board. I'm fine with it as a skill tree for magic and abilities, but for equipment? I guess they're gonna hunt down Vaan for wearing a jerkin without a license.

Xenoblade Chronicles was seriously the game that FFXII wanted to be.

My thoughts exactly :)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »
Well fuck you!  

Ugh, the license board. I'm fine with it as a skill tree for magic and abilities, but for equipment? I guess they're gonna hunt down Vaan for wearing a jerkin without a license.

http://corpseruncomics.com/comics/2012-06-18-amd_corpse_run_12_06_18.png

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Well fuck you!  

To be fair to the license board, it wasn't nearly as difficult to unlock the license to wear a piece of equipment as it was getting said piece to begin with.

Of course, that was one of the bigger problems with vanilla FFXII since you either foolishly spent points unlocking the ability to wear hats or high end weapons or you wisely dedicated them to first the Gambit Slots and Battle Effects, then Mist Knacks for the extra MP, and then Magik/Techniks before even looking at anything in the gear department beyond the basic junk.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 09:03:43 PM »
I'm sure that the systems will be improved, but it's not going to fix the rest of it. It felt like to me that they'd built this massive game world but then only the bare bones of a story to fill that in. It was all very forgettable, I can't even remember the name of the main villain, let alone his motivations.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 09:50:16 PM »
I'm glad this is happening. I remember hating FF12 a lot when played it and I was 70-ish hours in. This is the rare occasion when I retry a JRPG.

Going to give this game one more shot.