Author Topic: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age (whoomp there it is)
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »
I'm sure that the systems will be improved, but it's not going to fix the rest of it. It felt like to me that they'd built this massive game world but then only the bare bones of a story to fill that in. It was all very forgettable, I can't even remember the name of the main villain, let alone his motivations.

Vayne Soridor or the Occura and the former's motivation was to rid the world of the latter by being a political asshat and eventually a megalomaniac because "Its an FF game dammit! What kind of FF game doesn't have you fighting either a god or some megalomaniac hopped up on world ending powers?". He's not even really that evil or anything, he's just maneuvering his way up the throne while dealing with his political enemies in shady ways like any good political asshat; and then all of a sudden he fu-sion-ha!s with a renegade Occura, develops a terminal case of One-Winged Angel-itis, hijacks the game's local Death Star, parks it over Rabanaste, then proceeds to wait until the protagonists show up to deal with him, his Darth Vader expy Gabranth and his bullshit Pailings. You could tell they had literally no idea what kind of endgame they wanted beyond ripping off Return of the Jedi.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 01:26:06 AM »
I'm sure that the systems will be improved, but it's not going to fix the rest of it. It felt like to me that they'd built this massive game world but then only the bare bones of a story to fill that in. It was all very forgettable, I can't even remember the name of the main villain, let alone his motivations.
The main reason I had stopped was the bland story and the trash characters. I remember years later when I found out that Vaan wasn't supposed to be the main protagonist and I said to myself "Ahh so I wasn't crazy after all". I also hated the battle system as well but I think I need to give it another shot. At the time I think my taste in games was somewhat particular, especially with FF series. I was so in love with turn based battles and an actual good cast of characters I guess could not click with this game.

Cant wait to retry it though.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

Pretty sure his name was "Larsa's Big Bro" and he wanted to take over the world.  That's what I remember, anyways.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »
Seriously, I would have considered the story completely redeemed if Larsa ended up being the final boss who manipulated the whole shebang.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

Vayne Soridor or the Occura and the former's motivation was to rid the world of the latter by being a political asshat and eventually a megalomaniac because "Its an FF game dammit! What kind of FF game doesn't have you fighting either a god or some megalomaniac hopped up on world ending powers?". He's not even really that evil or anything, he's just maneuvering his way up the throne while dealing with his political enemies in shady ways like any good political asshat; and then all of a sudden he fu-sion-ha!s with a renegade Occura, develops a terminal case of One-Winged Angel-itis, hijacks the game's local Death Star, parks it over Rabanaste, then proceeds to wait until the protagonists show up to deal with him, his Darth Vader expy Gabranth and his bullshit Pailings. You could tell they had literally no idea what kind of endgame they wanted beyond ripping off Return of the Jedi.

How do you not write cool semi-true-semi-sarcastic gaming articles?  Because I swear you could make it work.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
As lame as the original licence board was I didn't really like the zodiac job system. Like, it could have been cool if the game was originally built around it, but it wasn't. I could make Ashe a archer and yeah, her board will be better, but she doesn't really feel any different than just giving Ashe a bow in the original. You're still at the core playing FF12 so there's no cool bow moves to learn or anything to set her apart. So it doesn't feel like I'm specializing. It just feels like Ashe is stuck using bows.

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:23 PM »
As lame as the original licence board was I didn't really like the zodiac job system. Like, it could have been cool if the game was originally built around it, but it wasn't. I could make Ashe a archer and yeah, her board will be better, but she doesn't really feel any different than just giving Ashe a bow in the original. You're still at the core playing FF12 so there's no cool bow moves to learn or anything to set her apart. So it doesn't feel like I'm specializing. It just feels like Ashe is stuck using bows.

It'd be nice if they included the original Licence Board as an option, although I'm definitely keen to try the new system.

I dug vanilla FFXII as is, despite its many flaws, so I'm psyched to play it again.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 02:15:45 AM »
Although I didn't get that far, I found the story to partly interesting and partly dull. Vaan is mostly part of the scenery, but Balthier, Basch, and Ashe were pretty fun. Some of the political intrigue early on seems interesting but yeah, it pretty much turns into Star Wars. There are a lot of FF XII/Star Wars comparisons out there, some of them are pretty funny too. I'm hatin' on FF XII but it's not all bad. It was one of the best looking games on the PS2 and still looks pretty good, the English localization is great, and the battle system can be fun. Messing around with gambits can be pretty neat. I have a feeling I'll pick the remaster eventually, maybe when the price goes down.

http://corpseruncomics.com/comics/2012-06-18-amd_corpse_run_12_06_18.png

Lol, I'm glad someone else feels the same.

To be fair to the license board, it wasn't nearly as difficult to unlock the license to wear a piece of equipment as it was getting said piece to begin with.

Of course, that was one of the bigger problems with vanilla FFXII since you either foolishly spent points unlocking the ability to wear hats or high end weapons or you wisely dedicated them to first the Gambit Slots and Battle Effects, then Mist Knacks for the extra MP, and then Magik/Techniks before even looking at anything in the gear department beyond the basic junk.

I hear license points are easier to come by later on in the game so unlocking licenses are supposedly less of a pain. But agreed. In FFXII you almost have to do double (maybe even triple) the grinding since unlocking magic, gambits, equipment, basically anything, required spending points.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
I'm excited for this. I missed it the first time around and this was the only non-MMO FF title that I haven't played.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »

Alternatively, if I decide to get this, I'm probably going to make someone (probably Vaan since he's got the look, although Ashe would do in a pinch as a discount Alena) into a Monk just to see if fighting barehanded is a viable prospect this time (in Vanilla FFXII, there's a License that ups the damage to your barehanded damage, except the bonus is pitiful, there's only one copy of the License, and it was at the backend and pretty expensive for a License which means that it was never useful).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
Alternatively, if I decide to get this, I'm probably going to make someone (probably Vaan since he's got the look, although Ashe would do in a pinch as a discount Alena) into a Monk just to see if fighting barehanded is a viable prospect this time (in Vanilla FFXII, there's a License that ups the damage to your barehanded damage, except the bonus is pitiful, there's only one copy of the License, and it was at the backend and pretty expensive for a License which means that it was never useful).

Fighting barehanded in FF12 means to to spam 1000 needle or Numerology.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 08:30:18 PM »
Probably the best new enemy to come from that game was the fake save point. Also the final boss' one winged angel form was pretty cool and he had some nice looking attack animations in his human form. Actually, come to think of it, 12 had a lot of cool designs, I wouldn't mind Zalera to come back in another future FF. It's also interesting how we get some previous final bosses in summon form like zeromus and exdeath.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:11 PM »
Probably the best new enemy to come from that game was the fake save point. Also the final boss' one winged angel form was pretty cool and he had some nice looking attack animations in his human form. Actually, come to think of it, 12 had a lot of cool designs, I wouldn't mind Zalera to come back in another future FF. It's also interesting how we get some previous final bosses in summon form like zeromus and exdeath.

It honestly has my favourite set of summons.  It scores 10 points higher just because it didn't involve another incarnations of Ifrits and Shivas and Titans, and lo and behold She-Ultima joins up instead.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »
My fav part of FF12 was that whole desert sequence...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 12:29:18 AM »
My fav part was walking around snowy mountains with Vaan still refusing to put on a damn shirt.