• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Trying to get the Black Hole Concurrence is absolutely infuriating. FUCK RNG

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »

Now this sounds like the FFXII I remember.

Plus Balthier has some of the best writing in the franchise. :P

I can't tell if this is an honest compliment or a damming by faint praise.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »

I was dreading grinding for that, but managed to luck out by using quickenings regularly during boss battles.  I've been using quickenings a lot more, now that they don't burn up all my MP.

But the RNG is fickle.  Certain magic spells are now only available from chests that have a low chance to spawn.  (Forget about trophy hunting, Cleanse isn't exactly optional for regular gameplay.  I don't know how long I was running laps in the Cerobi steppe waiting for it to show up.)  I really don't see how this is an improvement over buying spells in a shop.

They also didn't fix the Steal gambit. After stealing an item, a character will keep attempting to steal over and over, even though the target obviously has nothing left.  Penelo doesn't cast Esuna on healthy people, so why does Balthier try to steal from creatures with nothing in their pocketses?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:56:02 PM by ironmage »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »
They also didn't fix the Steal gambit. After stealing an item, a character will keep attempting to steal over and over, even though the target obviously has nothing left.  Penelo doesn't cast Esuna on healthy people, so why does Balthier try to steal from creatures with nothing in their pocketses?

Because every enemy in the game is Gilgamesh? :p

Also, that Majik hunting sounds a whole lot worse than even the crap from Vanille XII (at least its only the Cerobi Steppe).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
Hunting for magicks being a downfall to the game is really overblown. Honestly the majority of those spells that you hunt for aren't required until endgame hunts (of those, only 1-2 are actually "required", and you'll be high enough level to go into those areas to get them easily by then). It's faster and easier to just have remedy lores unlocked and specific item gambits for whatever you're fighting in your specific area. It takes all of 30 seconds to set up before you enter, esuna is really only useful for debuffs like disable (which you can use a black belt to completely nullify).

As for blm and spells, you can buy from the stores the ones that you'll use for 90% of the game, same for curing spells.

Also I forgot to mention that of those spells/skills that you have to get a chest for. To my knowledge they are 100% spawns and 100% drop rates. Protectra/shellra/bravery/wither/expose all are for sure. (to me the most important ones).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:37:38 AM by Limlight »

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
Hunting for magicks being a downfall to the game is really overblown.
Do you think it improves the game?
It would be nice if the game let you get some spells a bit early through exploration, but removing the spells from the shops altogether was a bad decision.
It's faster and easier to just have remedy lores unlocked and specific item gambits for whatever you're fighting in your specific area. It takes all of 30 seconds to set up before you enter, esuna is really only useful for debuffs like disable
I'm not clear on your meaning, here.  "Faster and easier" than what, exactly?  I use Esuna almost exclusively.  Penelo has it as one of her permanent gambits.  Why would I spend even 30 seconds customizing gambits when Esuna works fine, and doesn't consume any items?
As for blm and spells, you can buy from the stores the ones that you'll use for 90% of the game, same for curing spells.
Uh-huh.  Here's the list of spells/skills only available from chests:  Renew, Cleanse, Dispel, Dispelga, Protectga, Shellga, Bravery, Faith, Regen, Holy, Thundara, Flare, Scathe, Blind, Blindga, Silence, Silencega, Sleep, Sleepga, Poison, Toxify, Haste, Hastega, Countdown, Float, Vanish, Reflect, Reflectga, Balance, Warp, Death, Ardor, Infuse, Bonecrusher, 1000 Needles, Stamp, Addle, Shades of Black, Expose, Achilles, Gil Toss, Sight Unseeing, Shear, Wither, Charm, Revive, Telekinesis, Numerology.

Some of those become useful well before the end of the game.  Fortunately, most of them are easy enough to find.
Also I forgot to mention that of those spells/skills that you have to get a chest for. To my knowledge they are 100% spawns and 100% drop rates.
As I said, Cleanse certainly does not have a 100% spawn rate, and I wasted a good bit of time on it.  Addle doesn't have a 100% spawn rate either, but at least it only took me two or three tries.

EDIT: Looks like wither has a low spawn rate too.  Took me eleven tries.  Anyone for a a stroll though the Ridorana Abyssal?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:13:29 AM by ironmage »

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Apologies, long post.

I can't entirely disagree that removing certain spells/skills from shops was a great decision, but honestly it really isn't a terrible thing either, so let me explain it from my perspective.

I should clarify, I too use esuna quite liberally as well and I'm not saying to not use it or that it's pointless. I was referring to spells like cleanse (which i haven't gotten and see no reason to since remedies with the correct lore cure disease and they're available to buy when you reach mt. bur). Also you can buy serum on the archadies airship (if memory serves, again I never buy them because of remedies). I don't think that disease was even a real issue until pharos (for normal mobs), and certain traps (the barheim passage (higher level area) comes to mind).

Having cleanse spawn at such a low rate really is silly (again i completely agree with you about this), but again it isn't even needed in the game at all. Also for item users, if you made your rdm or whm nuking capable, the item user can let them continue to freely cast, but this is entirely up to your build etc.

Also to clarify I was talking more about the second half of the game when you start seeing more mobs that do aoe status effects. Instead of forcing your healer to cast esuna multiple times an item user or two can simply speed up the process and it's super simple to set up and forget about it. That's all that I was referring too.

As for your list of spells/skills that you attain through chests. I did say that only a few were actually necessary. Haste(if you have someone that can use it)/Dispel(always) being the two most prominent of all of these and both of them are 100% spawns (haste in eruyt and dispel in raithwall) and you get both in the first half of the game before you tackle any truly challenging hunts/bosses.

Protectga really isn't required since tank/spank on bosses has your MT decoyed, However shellga can be useful so it is annoying to go out of your way to get it in the great crystal. (I enjoy exploring the great crystal, but if you're in a rush to get through the game not having it in shops can be an annoyance). Let's be real, you don't need shellga to beat the main story.

Bravery/Faith are in that lump of "used for endgame hunts" so again point to annoyance for having to go get them (don't you want to explore the necrohol anyway? Bravery/Faith are 100% spawns) If you're just rushing to beat the game, neither are needed to beat the final boss.

Shades of black is a fun skill and available in raithwall (100%).

Wither's low spawn rate is just silly, I agree with you on this. It really does make hunts like hellwyrm/yizzy/BK much easier to manage.

Expose is a 100% drop rate according to the maps? I went 1/1 on it, so if i'm wrong i'll admit it and expose makes those endgame hunts soooo much easier to manage. wither/expose are not needed for the main story bosses.

Blind? Nice for shield tanking on mobs that don't have ignore evade. Again let's be real, isn't needed to beat the main game, but it does have a limited use on certain hunts. I could go on but you see the point.

TLDR, yes some people may see it as a bad aspect of the game, while others enjoy the exploration and via that exploration you'll attain the majority of these skills/spells. However I 100% agree with you about making certain ones ridiculously low spawn rate. That is a silly decision and should not have been implemented, but ultimately unless you're a completionist it really won't hinder your experience, but if you are a completionist then you really don't mind the grind do you? So yes I feel fine saying "overblown".

Without looking it up, but i'm pretty sure thundara shouldn't be on the list as it can be bought from shops.

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
I should clarify, I too use esuna quite liberally as well and I'm not saying to not use it or that it's pointless. I was referring to spells like cleanse (which i haven't gotten and see no reason to since remedies with the correct lore cure disease and they're available to buy when you reach mt. bur). Also you can buy serum on the archadies airship (if memory serves, again I never buy them because of remedies). I don't think that disease was even a real issue until pharos (for normal mobs), and certain traps (the barheim passage (higher level area) comes to mind).

Having cleanse spawn at such a low rate really is silly (again i completely agree with you about this), but again it isn't even needed in the game at all. Also for item users, if you made your rdm or whm nuking capable, the item user can let them continue to freely cast, but this is entirely up to your build etc.
I guess we have different playstyles.  I hoard items, and try to only use them in emergencies (even when I have 99 of them, and they're dropping like candy).  I prefer to use MP-based skills, since MP recovers naturally (or with Charge).  I think the only items I've actually bought during this playthrough are phoenix downs, and maybe some echo herbs.

This is admittedly somewhat silly on my part.
Expose is a 100% drop rate according to the maps? I went 1/1 on it, so if i'm wrong i'll admit it and expose makes those endgame hunts soooo much easier to manage. wither/expose are not needed for the main story bosses.
I didn't have any trouble getting expose either, so it might well be 100%.  Cleanse, Addle, and Wither were the only ones I had trouble getting to spawn, and they're the main source of my irritation.  The 100% spawn rate spells don't bother me nearly as much.
TLDR, yes some people may see it as a bad aspect of the game, while others enjoy the exploration and via that exploration you'll attain the majority of these skills/spells. However I 100% agree with you about making certain ones ridiculously low spawn rate. That is a silly decision and should not have been implemented, but ultimately unless you're a completionist it really won't hinder your experience, but if you are a completionist then you really don't mind the grind do you? So yes I feel fine saying "overblown".
I see your point.  If someone is mostly just playing through the game, and not worried about getting all the marks and exploring everywhere, this probably won't affect them much.

But let's call me a "frustrated completionist".  There are trophies for learning all magicks and technicks, whether you use them or not.
Without looking it up, but i'm pretty sure thundara shouldn't be on the list as it can be bought from shops.
...oops.  Yeah, that one's for sale.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Just an FYI.  While looking up the price on the collector's edition for the new Dissidia game at Square Enix's online store, I noticed that the Collector's Edition for Final Fantasy XII Zodiac age is still available.  So if anyone still wants it, you can buy it from them.  It looks like that version failed to sell out.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a price reduction on the game.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
I was gone for a week and this is all anyone posted in this thread?

You all make me sad.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons