Author Topic: E3 2016: E3 2015 was better Edition.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2016: E3 2015 was better Edition.
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 02:22:46 AM »
How do you not get airsick with that throne you sit on so high above everyone?

I stay with as much of an open perspective as possible and my mantra is not "everything is terrible all the time for ever and ever" when it comes to this sort of thing. That said, I bet that's not enough of an answer for you.
Sorry, the answer we were looking for was "Rolaids".

@Yoda it does look mildly appealing, and the price point ain't too terrible...but with Scorpio happening now, I can't see a reason to donate money to a temporary buy like that. Rather save up for an xbone scorpio and be ready for the immediate news of the xbone 2 afterwards.

I loved how they kept trying to emphasize the idea that current XBone owners weren't going to be XBoned by Scorpio, while also trying to push the utter awesomesauce that is 4k gaming like that meant anything at all. The whole thing sounded like something regurgitated by a high pressure sales rep (short of inundating you with a dozen pamphlets and their business card; and I'm not so sure about the second one (they're currently drawing up the former)).

Also, I would much rather get a new 360 to replace a fallen 360 rather than any new Microsoft system since at least I know that it'll actually be mostly compatible with the 360 library instead of empty promises of implementing backwards compatibility that'll never come.

@Ygg. So you're a fan of the big budget, ultra violent, blood and guts, mowing down hoards of humans/zombies/mutants/androids/other human-like enemies, first/third person shooters then eh? Because that made up of most of the last two days conferences. Everything from stuff like We Happy Few to Dead Rising 4 and Gears of Four from Microsoft, to Ubisoft's annual Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon/Division/Hunt for Red October and For Honor, to Sony's mass zombie hoard shooter Days Gone, to EA's predictable Battlefronts and Call of Duties, to Bethesda, just Bethesda, all of it. Comparatively, there were like 4 RPGs, the yearly Forza/Just Dance/other destined to immediately land in shovelware bins and casual gamers' libraries until they sell it off at a garage sale 5 years later games, and a bunch of nondescript trailers/glorified announcements/release dates (especially of the VR stuff which was almost entirely FPSes (yes including FFXVR)) and a pair of cardgames/other merchandise heavy crap like Skylanders.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
So they kept talking about hdr gaming with the slim xbone. Da fuq is that?

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »
How do you not get airsick with that throne you sit on so high above everyone?

I stay with as much of an open perspective as possible and my mantra is not "everything is terrible all the time for ever and ever" when it comes to this sort of thing. That said, I bet that's not enough of an answer for you.

I watched the conferences, hoping and wanting to be excited. There just wasn't that much to be excited about. I sure as fuck don't want consoles to adopt the iterative model that Nintendo does with the 3DS. No. Way. Hose. A. Bad for the market and bad for gamers.

It's funny how much the thread title sums up my feelings because most of the stuff we saw last year would have been better served being shown this year. Most of the stuff wasn't even bad....just a resounding "meh". In a word....generic.

To be fair, the Dead Rising 4 trailer was great and it looks fun. And I'm excited about Insomniac's Spider-Man game after playing Ratchet and Clank. Plus ... Syberia 3 is coming! But this was not a good E3 for games.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

I expect nothing less from a shit for brains like you.

@Ygg. So you're a fan of the big budget, ultra violent, blood and guts, mowing down hoards of humans/zombies/mutants/androids/other human-like enemies, first/third person shooters then eh? Because that made up of most of the last two days conferences. Everything from stuff like We Happy Few to Dead Rising 4 and Gears of Four from Microsoft, to Ubisoft's annual Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon/Division/Hunt for Red October and For Honor, to Sony's mass zombie hoard shooter Days Gone, to EA's predictable Battlefronts and Call of Duties, to Bethesda, just Bethesda, all of it. Comparatively, there were like 4 RPGs, the yearly Forza/Just Dance/other destined to immediately land in shovelware bins and casual gamers' libraries until they sell it off at a garage sale 5 years later games, and a bunch of nondescript trailers/glorified announcements/release dates (especially of the VR stuff which was almost entirely FPSes (yes including FFXVR)) and a pair of cardgames/other merchandise heavy crap like Skylanders.

You love drowning yourself in your projections bit too much pal. Then again, indulging in personal deception is your specialty after all.

I sure as fuck don't want consoles to adopt the iterative model that Nintendo does with the 3DS. No. Way. Hose. A. Bad for the market and bad for gamers.

I agree with that, but is not like is a new initiative that hasn't been taken before with consoles. I'm not a fan of it with all the money it gets to do the upgrade sometimes and all that but I'd say that the option is there to take it, or be fine with what you got. Though, is bothersome when there are features locked in the game by the platform you have. There's no way that's not at least frustrating.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
I'm with Lard on this one. 2015 was pretty unbeatable. I mean, the games shown all look entertaining, but it's more of the same stuff we just finished. Days Gone should really just be titled "The Last of Me" since it's almost exactly like a solo Last of Us. Detroit screams Heavy Rain and its ilk, God of War 4 actually looks like Skyrim had a baby with the last of us, Resident Evil 7 going first person...where have I seen that before...

FUCKING SKYLANDERS!?!?!?!? I CAN'T FUCKING FATHOM HOW ANY CRASH FAN WAS ACTUALLY EXCITED BY THAT LUDICROUSLY CHEAPO CASH IN OFF ACTIVISION'S FUCKING CONSOLE MONEYMAKER!!!! (though at least the announced remasters were something...ish)

And then we had Death Stranding...on the one gand KOJIMA POWER!!! On the other hand....what the actual fucknwas that supposed to be aside from a gross ego stroke at how amazing they can make something look? I was left perplexed and lost...even the name makes no sense. Death Stranding? Is he stranded on an island of death? Does he play with the weave of fate and pick individuals strands to end lives? I mean...what?

I mean don't get me wrong, I wanna play them all EXCEPT SKYLANDERS, as I enjoy most of those games shown. I was just left...wanting something else I guess. Maybe because the rpg love was left at home that night (FFXV doesn't count), and as such left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Also, as much as I liked the look of the xbone s, I realize the announcement of it AND the scorpio coming up soon just nailed MS in the foot, and hard. Only desperate individuals are going to buy the S knowing the Scorpio is coming soon. It's likely to blow up in Microsoft's face, as all that money developing a smaller system, and a new system on the horizon...ESPECIALLY with the current install base being as high as it is...what were they thinking?

TASTY!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »
Edited because "killin' the mood"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:12:12 AM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
So, completely random and unrelated to this thread question: how exactly does the "Report To Moderator" function work for this forum?  Asking for a friend.

Also, did I read correctly that Jeri Ryan and Levar Burton were both at E3??  Why?  Was there a Star Trek related announcement or something?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
Agent D and Ygg, both of you: Knock it off. This isn't acceptable, it's a just trade show.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »
Also, did I read correctly that Jeri Ryan and Levar Burton were both at E3??  Why?  Was there a Star Trek related announcement or something?

Yes. It was at Ubisoft's show, though, so no one can blame you for missing it.

Also: Ygg, D - killin' the mood.

Why not take this outside? Queue up some Street Fighter or whatever you both play, preferably with voice chat. Probably easier to vent when the digital fists are more appropriately shaped than @'s and Z's, doncha think?

EDIT: Erm, not trying to one-up the staff, just trying to offer an alternative...and possibly some entertainment...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:14:40 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
So, completely random and unrelated to this thread question: how exactly does the "Report To Moderator" function work for this forum?  Asking for a friend.

You hit the report post button and then I get an email and swoop in with heroic fanfare playing in the background while everyone else rolls their eyes, mostly.

@Agent: Anyway, childish personal attacks make everyone look stupid. It's not going to cause anyone to change their ways, so if you dislike someone so much that you can't help but call them out on it all the time, make full use of the ignore function and your life will be happier.

@Ygg: Tone down your condescension. You are able to express your disagreement in a manner that doesn't try to belittle the other person. It doesn't make you look intelligent, it makes you look petty. I'm honestly really tired of seeing your name pop up in relation to forum drama and whatever soft spot everyone has for you will eventually go away and I'll just ban you. I don't like banning anyone, but you're taking the piss.

Anyway, hopefully we can move on and continue talking about E3.  

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

I expect nothing less from a shit for brains like you.

Why the fuck do you even come around here anymore? All you are is toxic poison on here and I'm goddamn sick of the mods playing all coy with you just giving warnings and shit when time and time again you just constantly prove all you're good for is personally insulting forum members who don't share your incredibly naive and hypocritical world views.

So yes, please be so kind as to fuck off back to wherever scum like you comes from.

Note to mods: Apologies for that tirade. But I really am sick of his bullshit on what is otherwise one of the only truly serene havens on the 'net to talk about video games.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »

I forgot how much I missed good open-world Spider-Man games...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
I apologize, I already edited the unsightly comment (I refuse to remove the rolaids one, though, because that was actually funny), and I'll "try" to keep it in line better. I'll leave my swearing and foul language for video games and exaggerated descriptions of women.

TASTY!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
@Klutz64: He can considerate his final warning, he's had more chances than anyone should get to be honest, but it is what it is.

Not everyone needs to jump in now and voice their opinion, I can pretty much guess how most of you feel. If you have anything more to say about the matter, private message me. This topic is going back to E3 or I'll lock it.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

I agree with that, but is not like is a new initiative that hasn't been taken before with consoles. I'm not a fan of it with all the money it gets to do the upgrade sometimes and all that but I'd say that the option is there to take it, or be fine with what you got. Though, is bothersome when there are features locked in the game by the platform you have. There's no way that's not at least frustrating.

It's starting to remind me of what Sega did with all the add-ons like the Sega CD, etc. except instead of buying them separately, we are going to have to buy a new console if we want them. :/

And seriously, weren't they saying the same things about 3-D gaming that they're now saying about 4K gaming?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.