• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Final Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »
I really hate the chibi.

I really love everything else.

So much inner conflict.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »
The chibi look seems to come right out Pictlogica Final Fantasy. I've always had a soft spot for chibis, so the more I see an FF with this look the more I notice how this is something that I never knew I wanted. Hopefully I can get around to get into it sooner rather than later.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 01:22:48 AM »
I've never understood the chibi appeal of anything.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
I've never understood the chibi appeal of anything.

Well, at least I'm not alone.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
@Andrew & Arvis: There's not a right way to say this, but, have both of you guys seen your avatars? Do you notice the irony and lack of self-awareness there is by showing a dislike to chibis and have a 2D chibi sprite in your profile?

I'm not trying to be judgemental. Is just that, that's why I'm seeing and I find it a bit curious.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
Interesting point! Perhaps it's the 2D vs 3D?

Either way, I definitely see a difference between these:

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »
My avatar is categorically not chibi, in even the slightest way.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »
@Andrew & Arvis: There's not a right way to say this, but, have both of you guys seen your avatars? Do you notice the irony and lack of self-awareness there is by showing a dislike to chibis and have a 2D chibi sprite in your profile?

I'm not trying to be judgemental. Is just that, that's why I'm seeing and I find it a bit curious.
I'm not a fan of the chibi look either.  For me it's a sizeable turn off.  I think part of the reason is that in this game's iteration, the chibification is quite extreme.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »

I'm not a fan of the chibi look either.  For me it's a sizeable turn off.  I think part of the reason is that in this game's iteration, the chibification is quite extreme.

It's..cute I guess.  It's really, really stylized, and I like it about as much as the Theatrhythm ones.  I don't like how it makes most of them 'samey' looking.

If there was a style I liked it was the FFVI one (not nearly as humourous looking, of course, but...).  Even the FF9 look worked.

That said the screen shot I posted of the girl riding the monster is pretty adorbs.  Just not sure how well the look works when trying to tell the serious parts of the story (or basically any time Cloud, Squall, and Lightning are on screen).
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
I really like kind of chibi stylized art a lot of the time, one of the reasons WW is my fave Zelda

FF6 of course is pretty choice.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
Perhaps it's the 2D vs 3D?

Nah. There is an active avertion, with weird double standard sometimes with different kinds of games and movies, on the West when it comes to colorful and cute designs in comparison to visuals that go for the dark and gritty with a sense of realism to them.

My avatar is categorically not chibi, in even the slightest way.

...right.

At least can you tell me why so that way I have point reference to understand your view better?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
Not sure I can answer the question of why Square didn't make FF6 sprites chibi.  It just wasn't what wanted to do when they made FFVI, I guess.  They decided instead to make the most detailed and expressive 16-bit character sprites they could, instead of pointlessly deforming the design in an off-putting way.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 04:25:10 PM »
Throwing in my two zenny on the CHIBI debate because it is something that really disturbs me.

I am of the camp that just about ANY art style is viable and can come across as acceptable/appealing presentation in the correct context. I loved Windwaker, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Tales of 16-bit on up and through contempary gen. They all looked good in their own right.

Now here is the cardinal rule for me personally. DON'T BLEND THE STYLES!! It kills immersion and I end up hating something as ugly or out of place by contrast. I had a terribly jarring experience with Kingdom Hearts for that reason and generally can't stand cross-over anything unless its pulled off coherently in a visual respect. (And in truth, Kingdom Hearts wasn't even that large an offender)

Imagine if Mass Effect had a character that looked like Jr. from Xenosaga, a moogle from FFXIII and a robot from the Mega Man PSP reboot ("Powered Up" or whatever it was called). Give me that package visually and all of the sudden "I HATE CHIBI" even though some of what I listed doesn't even qualify as such, landing somewhere in the realm of Super-Deformed.

Having expressed all the aforementioned, you can imagine I'm not setting my sights on WoFF. In fact, I'd venture to guess its gonna be one of those corners of the FF universe I prefer to pretend altogether does not even exist so it doesn't compromise my ability to appreciate the franchise.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
That's actually a really good point about "stylistic cohesion", Klyde.  I haven't had HUGE problems with chibi in my past (dead-eyed Theatrhythm designs notwithstanding) so I was wondering why it was irritating me in WoFF as much as it was, and I think you may have landed on a crucial point.

That being said, the particular brand of chibi on display here in WoFF is especially unattractive.  They just took it WAY too far, like Street Fighter V did with muscles.  It's just ugly to look at, and it's exacerbated by the rest of WoFF looking so darn pretty.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
Meanwhile:

10/10
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!