Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Isaac Hayes Quits South Park
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Isaac Hayes Quits South Park  (Read 6847 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »

Yes, indeed.

That sucks, especially for those of us who have been a fan of the show from the start.  I can kinda see where he's coming from, though.

Thoughts?  Concerns?  Empathy?  Apathy?

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 07:18:32 PM »

Heh... I can't say I care. He didn't say jack when the Christians and Jews and Muslims were made fun of. Nor when the Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses were. This isn't about crossing a line. It's about offending him. He doesn't care when it happens to others, so I'm not too sad to see him go.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »

I have pretty much zero respect for scientology, so the fact he seems to convinently get upset after that's poked at, yet not when other religions are, makes me not really sympathize with him.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:21 PM »

I'm with Hidoshi on this one.  That's one thing I like about South Park is that NOTHING is sacred.  Everyone and everything is harshly lampooned.  Indians and Hinduism get harshly lampooned in one of Mr. Garrison's song and I can see the humor in it.    

A new Chef can easily be found.  Maybe I should audition.  I can do 60+ different voices, including Chef.  Seriously.  May not be the soul of Issac Hayes, but the voice can be replaced easily.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem -- and he's cashed plenty of checks -- with our show making fun of Christians."

Considering the above comments, it sounds like Mr. Hayes may be guilty of hypocrisy.  I think it is hypcoritical of him to not utter a peep when other religious beliefs get mocked while getting his panties tied up in knots when Scientology gets lampooned.  

Other than that one nit I have to pick, I am generally apathetic about him quitting seeing as how I do not watch the show.

alchahest

55176800 novacat@hotmail.com albinosculpin@sh
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 01:12:15 AM »

it's probably the scientology talking, not Hayes.

seriously, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman had a wonderful relationship

then he became a scientologist.  she didn't like it, and he had to break up with her. now he's engaged to that insipid melty-eyed retard who is like "tee hee, I like science :D"

in short, Hayes was probably pressured by L. Ron Hubbard's goons.

by the way, the L stands for Lafayette. GAY.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »

Quote from: "alchahest"

Even if that's the case, he's still weak-willed for not thinking for himself.

Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:47 AM »

Weaksauce.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 01:52:11 PM »

I rarely see South Park these days, so I can't say I care that much. I do agree however that it's very hypocritical of him.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »

Chef's food sucked anyway.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQKxV9Lh04&search=south%20park%20trapped%20in%20the%20closet

Here's the South Park "Trapped in the Closet" episode about Scientology.  Do people actually believe the whole thing about
Code:
alien emperor Zeenu and the soulcatchers in the sky and that the souls of these dead aliens are what comprise our fears and negative emotions?
Such crackpottery could only be cooked up by a science fiction writer in the 1950s.  I laugh at Scientology.  All it is is a bunch of nonsense based on outdated psychotherapy methods.

alchahest

55176800 novacat@hotmail.com albinosculpin@sh
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 05:04:05 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "alchahest"

Even if that's the case, he's still weak-willed for not thinking for himself.

he's weak-willed for joining scientology. I meant that he's just another drone among the thousands now, that have allowed themselves to give up their personal rights and opinions to be free of ENGRAMS!

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »

Indeed.  You know, even though I may poke fun at fundies and some religious media (i.e. Chick Tracts) for oversimplifying complex concepts that you need to be pretty fucking smart to truly understand, I generally have zero issues with most established world views (save those that preach hatred and intolerance.  Even LeVay Satanism doesn't preach hatred and intolerance.)  Many world views and belief systems are based on pragmatic practicalities.  Sure many of the pragmatisms may only be valid for the time period in which they were written, but they were still rooted in something practical.  There is/was a "method to the madness."

Scientology IMO isn't.  It's basis is sheer crackpottery.  It's just a whole bunch of nonsense and half-assed ideas based on shit from 1950s sci-fi novels along with outdated and often dangerous or unethical forms of psychotherapy.  True psychology is akin to getting an abortion from a properly trained and experienced doctor in a reputable hospital or clinic.  Scientology is akin to getting an abortion in a back alley by a "street doctor" with a rusty coat hanger.  Sure, Scientology is an "alternative to psychology" as the lady tells Stan, but it's a really shitty alternative.  It's madness without a method.  

Fuck Scientology and all who believe in such folly.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »

Scientology is trendy crap.  It's not even a religion, it's a fucking Hollywood fad.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:27:10 PM »

That is a real bummer though I felt lately Chef have been less important in the newer seasons as time passes so I do not think it may make a huge impact at its current state. I always did like Chef though so I do worry what his repacement is gonna be unless the creators did an episode where Chef would get killed.

It is understandable that Hayes get offended by this, but than how did he feel during all the times the creators make fun of all the other things. I actually have nothing I strictly follow so it can be easy for me to say, but everything gets made fun of in some shape or form and not just South Park. Look how many jokes about Bush are out there.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: