Author Topic: Too many cut scenes @_@

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Too many cut scenes @_@
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
I am playing Return to PopoloCrois and I am almost done and thought this game I have experience too many cut scenes. Which is a weird feeling because I don't think I have ever had a problem with a game having too many cut scene but I am actually kinda burnt out from watching so many cut scene from this game. I feel like I watch more cut scene than I actually played the game its weird.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Too many cut scenes @_@
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:46:38 AM »
This was exactly my problem with the back-half of Wonder Project J >:T Well, not exactly -- it's more that WPJ turned into nothing but cutscenes.

Also some other game that I can't remember at all right now (I want to say FFXII but, while that had some longish cutscenes, it wasn't really cutscene heavy as a whole).
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 12:51:17 AM »
The game I had like that was Tears to Tiara II.  It was 1 part tactical game, 72 parts cutscene.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Tears_to_Tiara_II_Heir_of_the_Overlord/index.html
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:53:19 AM »
Star Ocean 2 is pretty bad with this. It takes a pretty long time before you get to actually play.
Although I just can't stay mad at the game because the beginning is so damn good that it's worth the wait.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 01:13:43 AM »
^This, but applied to Persona 3 and 4 and probably 5.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 04:03:52 AM »
Remember Xenosaga...

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 04:11:04 AM »
I found Metal Gear Solid 4 to be especially agonizing, and I generally love those games.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 04:16:21 AM »
Remember Xenosaga...

Nevermind Xenosaga. Xenogears burned almost an entire disk on cutscenes (dat Chair). Though, Xenosaga 2 was the worst of the bunch (there's hardly even a game there).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 06:09:20 AM »
Sometimes it's not the sheer number of cutscenes, but the nature of them that can lead to burnout.  Are they long droning borefests about nothing whose sheer length upsets the crucial cutscene-to-play ratio that keep us engaged? 

I reviewed a lousy PSP game called Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner and had this to say:
There is a lot of exposition and dialogue throughout the game, but despite the often lengthy non-interactive cutscenes, I felt as if the characters talked a lot but ultimately said nothing. Despite the copious amount of text and non-interactive story cutscenes you have to sit through, the tale woven is dry, stale, boring, and unsatisfying.

Outside of gaming, I absolutely loathed the musical Evita because it was all songs and no dialogue.  It was like having and overly rich seven course meal with no palate cleansers in between and feeling pukey after the second or third course.  "No more!  No more!" 
(This year at work, I was an in-class support teacher in a musical theater class and watched several musicals.  My least favorite was Evita and my favorites were Singin' in the Rain and Hairspray.)
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
Pretty sure I don't have a limit to too many cutscenes. Or if I do, it is do freaking high that it is practically impossible for me to ever reach it.

Remember Xenosaga...

Nevermind Xenosaga. Xenogears burned almost an entire disk on cutscenes (dat Chair). Though, Xenosaga 2 was the worst of the bunch (there's hardly even a game there).
Oh Xenogears disk 2, if only you had been completed so that Esmerelda could have an Omnigear...I mean so that we didn't have to sit through the chair scenes describing what was planned but unfinished.

As for Xenosaga, I recall Episode 1 being the one that was considered extremely cutscene heavy. Admittedly, I barely remember anything about 2 as I have blocked most of those memories away other than the space pope fight happening (because it is funny to say space pope fight). However Episode 1 had fairly long cutscenes even in combat, so that might have worn away at people's tolerances.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »
Man, Neal, I wanted to like Monster Kingdom so bad. It was the first (and last) game Cozy Okada directed after he left Atlus. He still remains one of my favorite game auteurs, but Monster Kingdom was just... ugh. You're very right about nobody having anything to say.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
Xenosaga I - The movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvbXiOvWFp0

It seriously feels like it should have been a movie when you look at how little you miss by watching just the cutscenes + (shortened) boss fights.

(Yes there are also movies for II and III, but who would want to watch that?)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
I still don't understand why but for various reasons, disc 2 of Xenogears never really bothered me!
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
Star Ocean 2 is pretty bad with this. It takes a pretty long time before you get to actually play.
Although I just can't stay mad at the game because the beginning is so damn good that it's worth the wait.

I've gotten so good at the prologue that I know the NPCs to talk to that trigger the story line to keep going. ....it's kinda sad I guess.  Also sad is it still takes about the better part of an hour to get through.  I also usually pick Claude's side since his Laceur Arms Tournament segment is shorter. :S
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
No Dias in the party that way :[

FLAK