Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:40:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329298 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy Tactics ending
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics ending  (Read 7937 times)
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

Well, hopefully the new cutscenes will make it clear what exactly happened.

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 02:34:58 AM »

Wow...I haven't played FFT in ages.  I was a little annoyed because I had a Greatest hit version and the CG bits were fucked all to hell, so I can't remember the ending all that well past the final boss fight.

I should play that again.  I have a version that's NOT a greatest hits, and those usually play a lot better on my PS1.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 02:56:00 AM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
Quote from: "everluck"
They both wind up dead, IIRC. Can't recall if they killed each other or if Delita commits suicide, though.

I don't remember any reason for it at all. I've finished the game multiple times, but that's one thing I've never been able to figure out. It's just a huge "WTF" moment.

Hopefully the remake reconciles that.

The PSP re-release is a port, not a remake.  All they are doing is adding some CG cutscenes and character classes.  It is still essentially the same game.

neither term is appropiate.

calling it FFT 1.5 or directors cut would make more sence.
its a shame fft and ffta/ff12 arent the same ivalice would of been cool to see references to agrias or something. technically i guess ffta and ff12 aren the same ivalice either. it would be coolif you could run into ritz or marche.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »

According to the news on the 'Fan, looks like those who were hoping for a FFXII connection will get their wish.  Balthier will make an appearance as a story character.

Also, Dark Knight as a new class?  Awesome.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 01:54:52 PM »

That pisses me off.  They should not be meddling with the story in order to insert a character who did not exist when the game was created.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »

So play the original.  I've never understood why people will complain when they are given more or better options.  I don't know the details, but I highly doubt that an FFT remake is going to force you to use Balthier, or force you to use Dark Knight.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  Unless it's forced upon you I don't see the need to be angry or upset that a remake of a classic RPG is going to contain a few extra things, while at the same time containing everything that was originally in the game.

Get used to it is all I can say.  FF3 had some new additions, FF5, FF6, FF4, all remakes and all contained new stuff.  It's definitely not a bad thing, until it's forced down your throat.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »

Still, unless FFT and FFXII somehow actually took place at the same time, it's really mucking with the story and timeline just to fit in a popular character and do some fanservice. We'd have to see HOW he's put in first, of course, and technically Cloud is about as bad, if not worse - at least Balthier is from that world, even if it's mucking up timelines and the like.

I wouldnt' compare this to additions in other games like FFIII anyway - as far as I know, nothing in those actually harmed the story for blatant fan service.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »

So you guys probably despised Kingdom Hearts, huh?

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
So you guys probably despised Kingdom Hearts, huh?

That was built up to be a giant wad of fanservice. :P

Edit: I looked at the news story for myself, and it notes that 'he won't just be a random guest character, but will actually play a role in Ramza's story.' To me, that says he's forced down your throat. It should be considered however, that he may not be /the/ Balthier and could be an ancestor/descendant.

There's also general weariness of Matsuno being gone from Square, and wondering if they're just blatantly disregarding what he had in mind. I'm sure that won't stop most of us, myself included, from getting it though.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 06:26:36 PM »

Sounds to me kinda like the whole Dante in SMT: Nocturne type thing.  He really doesn't fit into the mythos, but somehow the writers toggled with the Maniacs version of Nocturne to make him an integral, if awkward, part of one of the lengthy alternative routes (though a relative nonfactor in the main route.)  Given everything else, the scenario writers of Nocturne really did a great job.  

Ahh, the Ivalice Alliance... FF Tactics, FF Tactics: Advance, FF12, and FF12: Revenant Wings.  I'm looking forward to Revenant Wings.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
That pisses me off.  They should not be meddling with the story in order to insert a character who did not exist when the game was created.

WHINE WHINE WHINE EXTRA CONTENT WHINE WHINE WHINE I DON'T WANT IT HARRRRRRRRRRR

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 10:31:52 PM »

I guess I'm the only person who remembers that FFT already had a shitload of characters that weren't particularly relevant to the storyline.  And by 'forced down your throat' I mean that you will have to use Balthier as a character, if my memory serves me correctly, there were only a handful of characters in FFT that you were -forced- to use.  Cloud being my biggest example, in the sense that he was completely irrelevant and you didn't have to use him in battle after recruiting him.

Regardless, "mucking up the storyline" to me still falls under "play the original".  I see no reason AT ALL to complain about extra content when most people still have the original game.  Assuming you don't have the original game, be glad there's a remake at all that allows you to play such a great game.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 11:24:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure that FFT, FFXII, and VS all have the same world, and that this is, like, something officially stated. Somewhere. In Japan.

Basically though yeah, AFAIK, FFXII is a loooong time before FFT. I dunno. There's always the chance it's actually just a descendant of Balthier.

By the way, FFTA -- that doesn't actually... that's not part of the Ivalice from the other games is it? AFAIK it's just some sort of crazy Revelations: Persona stuff going down.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 11:34:14 PM »

Still, I would think there are some connections between FF12 and FFT:A because the bangaa and viera races introduced in FFT:A are present in FF12.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »

Being unimportant to the story doesn't matter, it's the fact it's a character taken from an entirely different time period then crammed into a game/story not designed for him. People wanted a connection, but not "Oh hey it's your favorite character from Final Fantasy XII, now playable in Final Fantasy Tactics!"

It's not a big deal - likely they'll just have some poorly implanted scenario, we get past it, then everything's back to normal, like with SMT:N. Heck, this could be a good thing in that it flat out /forces/ SE to retranslate the whole game, since that might count as enough dialog they'd have to translate, then retranslate the rest to remain consistent. If anything, it just lacks... Integrity, I think the word is. It's not simply a fun, story-less cameo, it's something that's randomly thrown into a pre-existing plot. But like said, could be an ancestor/descendant, and there could be a decent explanation for all anyone knows that doesn't cheapen it. And again, it had some Cloud cameo in the first place anyway.

As for FFTA/FFXII: I believe that FFTA's world was based off the kids' favorite video game. Given the races, and the fact said favorite game is an FF, it can be taken to mean that world is meant to be based off FFXII, and ergo FFTA is FFXII fanfiction. As fucked up as that sounds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: