Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334540 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which monsters do you enjoy to see the most in a RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Which monsters do you enjoy to see the most in a RPG?  (Read 7688 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »

Which creatures do you really enjoy to see in a RPG and why? Which folklores/legends fascinate you the most?

I like the whole concept of bloodsucking vampires and how they must be defeated. The most usual ways to destroy the vampire are driving a wooden stake through the heart, decapitation, and incinerating the body completely. Vampires in European folklore are said to cast no shadow and have no reflection. Some traditions hold that a vampire cannot enter a house unless he or she is invited in. Christian tradition holds that they cannot enter a church or holy place, as they are servants of the devil.
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »

My very first RPG was Dragon Warrior, so I have soft spot in my heart for Slimes. They are tiny, ineffective, and have no definable shape. They defy the concept of fear and inspire mirth and pity. Slimes are definetly my favorite common RPG monster.

Really, my favorite RPG enemy is not a monster, though. Humans (or Humanoids) are a lot more fun to fight. The more they match the anatomy of my own character, the more interesting it is to me. Maybe I'm a sick murderer at heart?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

The dragon warrior style slimes, too. I have no clue why. They're just... cute.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »

I liked the slime in Legend of Legaia.  Come to think of it I like a lot of the monsters in that game. Another one that sticks out for me is the ghostly armor in Drake's Castle.

I also like skeletons, mummies, and other monsters. Basically the kind of stuff you see in Castlevania games.
solieyu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »

i like it when rpgs have their monsters or bosses rooted in classical mythology and whatnot. i usually enjoy collecting the summons in final fantasy games to recognize the different renditions of odin, bahamut, ifrit, etc. being familiar with their respective mythologies makes me appreciate the games more and makes me enjoy seeing them in action.

i also like it when series have recurring monsters that i can expect to see in every game. for example the rabites, goblins, and chobin hoods of the mana series give the games a warm sense of familiarity to me that i like a lot.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:34:36 PM »

Even the most simple RPG monsters can be cool if they're drawn or designed with a certain style/flair.  As others have said, there's just something so adorable about the Dragon Quest Slimes.  If you like slimes, you owe it to yourself to play Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.  

In terms of mythology based creatures, I always enjoyed Kazuma Kaneko's highly stylized renditions of mythological figures in the Megami Tensei games.  

My favorite RPG normal-encounter monster is easily the ToiletKid in Persona 1.  It's a demonic posessed toilet... and it's a damn tough monster to kill if you can't exploit its weakness.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:42:18 PM »

While I can't say my absolute favorite, Jack Frost is pretty awesome. Now that I think about it, most of the SMT monsters are very aesthetically pleasing.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:25:42 PM »

I tend to be a fan of cutesy looking monsters. Stuff like the aforementioned Jack Frost and DQ Slimes are high up there for me, but others like Tonberries, Pikachus, and Nut Soldiers (BoF games) rank pretty high, too.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:52:49 PM »

I liked all the enemies in EarthBound, or the Mother series in general, such as the New Aged Retro Hippie. Mother 3's hybrid machine/animal designs were something else as well.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »

Cactuars. They're cool. Yeah. Also, Uncle Ulty.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:18:11 AM »

the following monsters fail!
any non humanoid non elemental monster that can cast magic. LOL@wolfs casting poison!!!!11

any monster that can revive heal or spawn more monsters

valkyrie profile 2 has all of the above :/

monsters that poison you suck too especially if the poison stays on your after battle hence making it far more lethal to you than it ever will be to a monster. resulting in psychological warfare.

moving on...theres this monster in shadowhearts 1 that i call the monster that slaps you with it's penis because thats what it does. it has a penis and slaps you multiple times with it. frankly i'm amazed something like that didnt get censored even though it was abstract. i also thought those garden soldiers you fight in FF8 were pretty cool. at least i dont have to question thier ability to use magic.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 04:02:31 AM »

Nocturne warped me forever. I like seeing beings from real-world mythology and religion.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 05:25:12 AM »

I have much love for Cactuars. So cute!

I also thought that Shadow Hearts had some really great monster design.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Lovely

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »

Bunnies with axes= win .  (all Suikoden games except for 4.)

I think I just like the concept of angry Bunnies with axes in general actually XD.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:45:47 PM »

The Dopefish.

Now if he ever actually appeared in an RPG that would be cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: