Author Topic: Favorite game companies?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Favorite game companies?
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
I don't know what gave me this idea, but I guess I was thinking about it because I thought it was cool how all the Capcom franchises were often released on a whole bunch of systems to give some degree of accessbility, whereas for Square or something (even though I like Square) it's often tied to a particular system and all that.

So yeah I was just wondering what's your guys favorite game companies, from big to small, west to east, wherever, and such.

For me, the vast majority of games I played growing up were from Nintendo and Capcom and in many ways that's stayed somewhat true over the years.

Quintet was also one that I became really fond due to their engaging RPGs like Robotrek and Illusion of Gaia.

Anyway I'm thinking of them mostly for their game franchises, but for any reason, curious if anyone wants to share and as to possible reasons.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite game companies?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
Cave, Treasure and Atlus.  Mostly because I'm a shmup dork first and foremost and then because I like Atlus' darker tone and tendency towards more linear story/character driven games. 

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »
A lot of my favorite game developers have either disappeared completely or are in a bit of a decline. My two favorites were Grasshopper and Atlus for a long time, but I've hated what Grasshopper has been doing since 2007 and Atlus aren't as risky and weird as they used to be.

I have a huge amount of affection for Telenet, Riverhill Soft, Human and Microcabin. RIP! Quintet were amazing too, some of those guys moved on to Shade but I think Shade is closed now, as well?

Falcom have endured against all odds, and so has my love for their output.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:49:08 AM »
My top five are:
-Gust
-Monolithsoft
-Atlus
-Spike Chunsoft
-Vanillaware

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
I respect Nintendo for doing whatever they feel like despite what current market trends and, well, sometimes common sense, dictate. Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Japan get more respect from me than Nintendo of America, though. NoE knows how to take initiative and listen to players.

I also really like Atlus, but at the same time I think they're one of the most infuriating game companies out there. They make some amazing games and have contributed a lot to the North American market when it comes to niche games. However, they hate Europe. They're like the worst kind of absent parent. They remembered your birthday and assume that makes everything okay, but the birthday card shows up 18 months late.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:48:04 AM »
Before they went bankrupt, I loved KID (Kindle Imagine Develop).  They were the masterminds behind the Memories Off and Infinity (you know, The series Ever17 was part of) VN series.  Those were some of the best VNs ever and I also loved some of the games they published, like Suigetsu for Dreamcast.  

I remember when KID and PrincessSoft were the Coke and Pepsi of VNs.  KID was my favorite (Ever17 is my favorite video game of all time), though PrincessSoft had Hourglass of Summer (my all time favorite love adventure) and the excellent Phantom of Inferno.  

RIP KID.

EDIT: and I have to +1 Tomara's paragraph about Nintendo doing things their way, status quo be damned.  My inner punk respects that attitude, even if I don't always like the product.

EDIT 2:  And I have to give props to Red Company.  Their games had the best art direction, especially Tengai Makyou.  They also masterminded the Sakura Taisen series, which is a cult classic for good reason.  Spike McFang for SNES and Thousand Arms for PSX were Red Company too.  Okay, they've attached their name to some stinkers (e.g. they had a partial hand in Nostalgia for DS and the Agarest War games) and seem to have lost their lustre lately, but when they were on point, they were on point!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:08:30 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »
C'mon, Atlus don't hate Europe, it's much more complicated than that.

IIRC Phantom of Inferno is a Nitro+ title, and those guys are thriving since Steins;Gate took off! Nice to see them move away from H.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
C'mon, Atlus don't hate Europe, it's much more complicated than that.

I know, but on the other hand, they're running out of excuses fast. Atlus has been around for decades and should have the know-how to tap into a market in which they've already established a presense through other publishers. Also, Sega. Sega is a thing. Sure, Sega has no clue what they're doing about 75% of the time, but I like to assume they can do atleast something right. Plus, they had a pretty good set-up with NISA, and all sources point to Atlus getting greedy as the reason that has fallen apart.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »
IIRC Phantom of Inferno is a Nitro+ title, and those guys are thriving since Steins;Gate took off! Nice to see them move away from H.

Blargh! You're right.  Indeed, PrincessSoft originally published Phantom of Inferno in Japan.  Hourglass of Summer is still all PrincessSoft, though.

And it seems we share a brain today, Tomara.  In looking at your paragraph about Nintendo being the big company least content to rest on its laurels and keep experimenting and my +1 of it, that's also why I used to like Sega a lot back in the day.  They were not content to rest on their laurels and were about bold experimenting, innovating, etc both with hardware and software/game design.  Unfortunately, a cavalcade of poor business decisions that even an elementary school student with a lemonade stand would avoid ultimately did Sega in.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Have you watched Psycho Pass,  Neal? It shares a director with phantom.  I believe he's directing this September's vita adaptation too.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
No I haven't.  I haven't watched anime in a long time.  I don't get much time to watch TV and its variants.  5pb is behind the game, right?  They've become a super strong player in the VN game.  And isn't NISA localizing it?  The quality of that company's localizations has been up and down throughout its existence. 

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
My favorite game companies.  A timeline. 

20 years ago: Square, Capcom, Nintendo

15 years ago: Square, Capcom, Blizzard

10 years ago: Square Enix, Capcom, Namco

5 years ago: Capcom, Nintendo, Atlus

Today: Atlus, Blizzard, Falcom

...I put a surprising amount of thought into this.  It's weird how much I loved Blizzard during my Diablo II / WC3 days, then became indifferent for many years, then resurgent in my Blizzard love with Diablo III and HotS.  And Capcom, my former favorite game company, woof. 

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:56:56 AM »
Ugh, I love Blizzard games, but as a company I just want to strangle them all the time they're such elitist pricks about EVERYTHING.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 12:58:18 AM »
I'm definitely sensing I'm weird in how I enjoy Nintendo now about as much as I did 20 years ago, I don't know, just how it goes I guess.

I think same with Capcom.

I thought about putting Sega in there, weirdly I kind of like them slightly better now than back then when they just would blindly copy Nintendo at times. I think Project Diva, Valkyria, Phantasy Star, all we're more interesting franchises ultimately than some of the original Sega franchises although there is always stuff like the Black Knight or spin-offs (hence the avatar)

And yes I mean Phantasy Star is an original franchise I just mean it feels like they're doing more their own thing now and not worried about Nintendo.

My favorite Atlus franchise is Disgaea but in general I've never gravitated towards them too much... a lot of the time I've just been unaware of which games are really developed by them and which are published and all that, but yeah anyway I did think Witch and the Hundred Knight was a bit interesting though.

I also really enjoyed the heck out of Enix.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:00:39 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 12:59:59 AM »
Ugh, I love Blizzard games, but as a company I just want to strangle them all the time they're such elitist pricks about EVERYTHING.

I feel sort of neutral about Blizzard only because while I think it's awesome they popularized comics and a lot of gaming sort of geeky stuff they really brought the fore, I was never a huge fan of the games per se. I like watching Blizzcon videos and just generally witnessing their passion and all that.

So basically, I never want to say anything bad about them, but I haven't kept up on their games well in recent times outside of Overwatch. I think my favorite game from them was actually Warcraft 2 and some of their really cheesy early stuff.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:05:35 AM by Artimicia »