Author Topic: Favorite game companies?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Favorite game companies?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:24 AM »
My favorite Atlus franchise is Disgaea but in general I've never gravitated towards them too much... a lot of the time I've just been unaware of which games are really developed by them and which are published and all that, but yeah anyway I did think Witch and the Hundred Knight was a bit interesting though.

That's Nippon Ichi Software you're thinking of. Atlus only published some of their games in the early days, like Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure and Disgaea :)

Atlus' own games are titles like:
-Shin Megami Tensei, Persona and everything related
-Catherine
-Etrian Odyssey series
-Trauma Center
-Radiant Historia

Still, Atlus does deserve a big 'thank you' for bringing over Disgaea in the first place. The rest of the industry did not have much faith in titles like that... If Atlus had ignored the original Disgaea, who knows, NISA might not be were it is today.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:48:36 AM by Tomara »

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:56:16 AM »
No I haven't.  I haven't watched anime in a long time.  I don't get much time to watch TV and its variants.  5pb is behind the game, right?  They've become a super strong player in the VN game.  And isn't NISA localizing it?  The quality of that company's localizations has been up and down throughout its existence. 

I think it's 5PB and Nitro+ together, just like Steins;Gate. I may be wrong though. NISA do have their ups and downs, but they did a masterful job on the DanganRonpa games. I'm hopeful!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »
My favorite Atlus franchise is Disgaea but in general I've never gravitated towards them too much... a lot of the time I've just been unaware of which games are really developed by them and which are published and all that, but yeah anyway I did think Witch and the Hundred Knight was a bit interesting though.

That's Nippon Ichi Software you're thinking of. Atlus only published some of their games in the early days, like Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure and Disgaea :)

Atlus' own games are titles like:
-Shin Megami Tensei, Persona and everything related
-Catherine
-Etrian Odyssey series
-Trauma Center
-Radiant Historia

Still, Atlus does deserve a big 'thank you' for bringing over Disgaea in the first place. The rest of the industry did not have much faith in titles like that... If Atlus had ignored the original Disgaea, who knows, NISA might not be were it is today.

Eheh! Proved my point.. =-)
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:18 AM »
No I haven't.  I haven't watched anime in a long time.  I don't get much time to watch TV and its variants.  5pb is behind the game, right?  They've become a super strong player in the VN game.  And isn't NISA localizing it?  The quality of that company's localizations has been up and down throughout its existence. 

I think it's 5PB and Nitro+ together, just like Steins;Gate. I may be wrong though. NISA do have their ups and downs, but they did a masterful job on the DanganRonpa games. I'm hopeful!
I used to adore NIS  but I think their catalog has been very weak recently. Disgaea 4 was great, but Disgaea D2 was pretty bad  and there PS3 output is it quite weak compared to their PS2 output. Their localization group, NISA, does a lot of good work, but Danganronpa isn't developed by NIS. It's a Spike Chunsoft game (Spike on PSP, Spike Chunsoft after the merger). That makes Danganronpa and the Zero Escape trilogy... cousins? That's kinda neat.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
I feel like NIS America has stepped up. I'm starting to like them. As a kid I also used to like Midway games.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
Squaresoft
Enix
90s Konami
90s Capcom
90s Nintendo
90s LucasArts
Black Isle
Bioware
CDPRed
Atlus
Blizzard
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
I feel like NIS America has stepped up. I'm starting to like them. As a kid I also used to like Midway games.

On that same note, I really like Marvelous and Idea Factory these days. Marvelous' games are usually good and IF tries *REALLY* hard, enough that you can watch a very noticeable improvement in the quality of their games as time goes on. More importantly, however, is that Marvelous gave us XSEED which does amazing localization, and IF's localization is also always top-notch.

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
15 years ago my favorite companies were Square, Konami and Namco. Now it's more like Atlus and Falcom for sure, and then Squeenix and Namco are on probation.  Fuck Konami forever.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
NIS is definitely stepping up their game, as have From Soft. (Bring back Tenchu!)

Used to be Atlus but not since they've started imitating Square and introducing an Atlus tax to all their games to gouge the fans.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
I also really like Koei Tecmo...

Tecmo Secret of the Stars for the win!
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
Falcom for development, and XSEED for the Falcom localizations. XSEED also for quirky localizations, *especially* Corpse Party. I'm still shocked by how much I like those games.

I love me some Gust ... but I personally didn't like seeing the switch from NISA to Tecmo Koei for Gust game localizations, and the hand that T-K has had with Gust in general. I think the games are also coming out at too fast a pace, kinda like ... oh, I don't know, Dynasty Warriors? ;_;

And screw it ... y'know what? I like the current Square Enix. There are things I DON'T like about them, sure. And if I were the guy on top, I'd be directing the company in a variety of different directions that I would perceive as better. But y'know what? When Cavia first tanked after Drakengard 2 (which was, IMO, the worst thing they've ever released), Square Enix had the faith (and money) to sink into Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito to make NieR. So guess what? I wouldn't have NieR, or its soundtrack, without Square Enix. How can I complain? And now we're getting a sequel with Platinum Games upping the combat system. Hellz to the yes.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
I love me some Gust ... but I personally didn't like seeing the switch from NISA to Tecmo Koei for Gust game localizations, and the hand that T-K has had with Gust in general. I think the games are also coming out at too fast a pace, kinda like ... oh, I don't know, Dynasty Warriors? ;_;

Are Dynasty Warriors games really coming out too fast a pace? I don't remember when the last main game out. If we are including spin offs...I'm still waiting for Gundam Warriors 5 to be announced already (seriously I checked for any announcements earlier today).

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
Last mainline Dynasty Warriors came out in November, the next one's due in August. In that time period, so far we've had Arslan and Hyrule Warriors Legends, while Attack on Titan, Berserk and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 are likely before the year is out. They now how to turn those out.

That said, I'm all for these games when they have larger than life characters. One Piece Pirate Warriors was surprisingly fun, almost by virtue of its wacky art alone.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »
I love me some Gust ... but I personally didn't like seeing the switch from NISA to Tecmo Koei for Gust game localizations

Ar Tonelico 2

Never forget

(I guess the lesson is that Gust games have always had crappy localizations...whee)

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 04:24:00 AM »
Yeah, what on earth happened there? Whack lines and gamebreaking bugs!