Author Topic: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
I figured since RPGFan is so multinational that maybe there'd be some tennis fans in these here forums?

Been a pretty eventful tournament so far, despite the rain.  I think we're all hoping Federer can pull a miracle out of his hat here, right?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
Yes a tennis thread! Yes!

To be honest, and I'm going to sound like a misery because of this, but I don't want Djokovic to win. I'd like someone else. Federer hasn't won for 4 years, Murray 3, but anyone else would be even better.

My moment of the tournament so far is Del Potro beating Wawrinka. Both are two of my favourite players (that backhand. Mmmmmm) but Del Potro has had such a hard few years. Remember the last time he played at Wimbledon? The 2013 seminfinal against Djokovic was just sublime, he so nearly won. I'm so happy for the guy that he's come back and is playing well too! I hope he can climb the rankings again and do really well.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
That one dude's tantrum was the best.  I posted it in the YouTube thread.  

New video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_0LYjTozM

A Wimbledon player has a tantrum this year.  
Code: [Select]
I side with him, though.  The ball was out, the line umpire said it was out but the chair ump said it was in, and only 2 courts at Wimbledon have electronic line monitoring systems called HawkEye.  His court had no HawkEye.  Hail McEnroe.  After all, tennis officiating improved because of his tantrums.

I hope Querrey defeats Djokovic.  Go America!  And McHale played really well against Serena.  I see her star on the rise.  I like that some of the young upstarts are making waves, making the veterans sweat, and hopefully issuing some upsets.

And when it comes to international sports, I'm obviously excited for Le Tour de France.  Most girls (in the US at least) lose their boyfriends during NFL season.  But any girl who dates me has to contend with me being an obsessive sports fan during cycling season and World Cup futbol.  I love professional ultimate frisbee as well.  As far as cycling goes, although I root for team BMC (I own a BMC bicycle and it is glorious), Andrew "pitbull" Talansky became my favorite rider after the 2014 TDF.  Talansky rides for team Cannondale.  All good, since both BMC and Cannondale are American teams.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:17:58 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
Troicki's tantrum was insane. It was a pretty bad overruling but there's disagreeing with something then overreacting...

I was rather hoping they'd move the Djokovic Querry match to Centre court after Federer finished his match, because they've played under the roof until about 11pm local time before. Ahh well.  It'd be nice to have another Male American grand slam winner.

I don't like a lot of sport. Tennis is the only one I'm pretty actively interested in. I love the intensity and strategy of the game. It's a one on one duel essentially. I can easily watch cycling too but I don't actively seek it out.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
I remember watching John McEnroe's tantrums back as a little kid whenever my parents watched tennis.  Back then there was only one TV in the house and it was usually sports whenever it was my dad's allotted time with the box.  He made tennis fun to watch, McEnroe did.

Tennis officiating was awful until McEnroe started aggressively calling them out and bringing attention to it with his tantrums.  Since the McEnroe era, officiating has been more professional and modern stadiums have ball-line technology.  Except today when we learned that only two courts in Wimbledon had HawkEye ball-line monitoring and officiating is still sometimes as incompetent as the McEnroe era.  And I feel like anyone taking potshots at Troicki should take a look in the mirror since they probably scream bloody murder at bad (or perceived bad) calls when watching sports on TV.  

Snoopy's plays Wimbledon in Bon Voyage Charlie Brown.  The first 3:45 are the Wimbledon sequence and it is great.  "Mister Snoopy!"  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyulcl_bon-voyage-charlie-brown-and-don-t-come-back-pt-2_shortfilms

McEnroe's compilation of tantrums.  This is the stuff of legend.  It's crazy how he's mellowed out so much these days as a commentator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcWNsS6wEps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:16:46 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
Yo!!! Did you see that?!?!?  Querrey defeated Djokovic!!!  In four sets!!! That has to be one of the biggest upsets.  Go Querrey!  

(And watch this, after defeating Djokovic in the 3rd round, he'll end up losing to some no-name.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:24:27 PM by Dincrest »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
YAY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THE WIMBLEDONS!

Yeah, I was freaking out when Querrey won the first two sets and then they had to stop play.  It's like "Congrats, Sam, you're 1 set away from the biggest win of your career!  Enjoy sleeping on that one!"

Who do you guys like in Kerber vs. Venus?  Kerber is actually playing well enough to win ANOTHER Slam.  Which would blow my mind to smithereens.  In a good way.

On the Men's side: can anyone stop Andy Murray?  I'm thinking no.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
It's been interesting to see various 20-something seeded players topple higher seeded players, like top 10s on both the men's and women's sides.  

That epic sunset tiebreaker between Berdych and Vesely was intense. 

And I'm not gonna lie, I find Simona Halep quite attractive.  And she's fun to watch play.  She made Kerber earn that win.

And when it comes to the Williams sisters, I'm more a fan of Venus than Serena.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:02:40 PM by Dincrest »

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
I reckon a Federer Murray final is inevitable, but I would love to see Raonic get there.

Kerber really did earn her victory. I'd like her to win on the women's side.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:31:52 PM by divingfalcons »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
Dincrest: Halep's cute, for sure, but she's cuter when she's talking.  Check this fun little interview out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enG11nDzaAI
She seems like a genuinely cool person.

And yes, a top-of-her-game Halep is more fun to watch play than basically any other WTA player.  Her level of ball control is otherworldly.  She can just make it go anywhere, regardless of what her opponent is doing.  Of course, when she's off her game, that means errors, and lots of them.  That's not so fun.  Still, she's probably my second favorite active women's player (Petra Kvitova being my favorite for no reason).

Also, let's be honest: who DOESN'T like Venus more than Serena?

Divingfalcons: I actually think Querrey's going to take care of Raonic.  The fact that he followed up that HUGE win over Novak with a straight-setter against one of the best grass courters in the game really impressed me.  I think Querrey could actually go all the way here.  I'm not saying he WILL, but he COULD.

If you guys are like HARDCORE into tennis, you should check this site out: www.tennisdrawchallenge.com
If you're more casually interested, then never mind.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »
I definitely thought Querrey would've been burnt out by his R16 match, but he really impressed. What a great turnaround that would be. I'm still just very happy we'll have a different winner this year :)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
What do we make of Elena Vesnina?  I know she's better than her ranking (because of injury) but those last two wins over Makarova and Cibulkova were crazy impressive.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 06:29:55 PM »
Have mercy, I could listen to Simona Halep talk about pancakes all day.  Imagine making crepes with her- we could make strawberries 'n whipped cream crepes for Wimbledon, chocolate crepes with good Swiss chocolate...  Pancake Party!  https://youtu.be/j0VQHdzpclw?t=232    Oh, and dance to Romanian and Indian/Bollywood pop music.  

I think the women's final will be Serena/Kerber.  Venus is fantastic, but I think Kerber will edge her out.  Vesnina is a nice story, but does she have enough in her gas tank to pose a threat to Serena, who's still an absolute powerhouse?  

As for the men's I'd love to see anything but Murray/Federer, but it'll probably end up that.  Murray's bracket is pretty much his to lose.  Tsonga is very inconsistent and the others aren't quite as good enough to unseat him.  As for Federer, he has a more difficult bracket.  I feel like all of those guys will push him hard and make him earn his victories.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:11:31 AM by Dincrest »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »
Dang it, Fed.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
Holy crap, please tell me you guys are watching this Fed/Cilic match or at least listening to it at work