Author Topic: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
I just want you guys to know that Federer was 2 sets down and facing THREE break points in the 3rd when I posted "Dang it, Fed."
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
I was out for a bicycle ride and my mom told me about it.  I said it- Federer is in a tough bracket and will have to earn his victories.  Raonic is going to push him, and should he make it to the finals, he'll be more worn down than Murray.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
Yeah, people are rooting for Fed to win the tournament more than ever now, but there's no easy matches ahead of him.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »
Work wouldn't play it on the TV in the staff room. What a battle though. I wonder if Raonic will pose a threat.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
That an unseeded player like Vesnina made it this far is great, but there was no doubt that Serena would trounce her. 

It was good to see Tsonga push Murray to 5 sets, but he didn't have enough left in his gas tank to pose a threat during that fifth set.  Plus, Tsonga is a very inconsistent player.  We'll see if Raonic can pose a threat to Federer and if Berdych can pose a threat to Murray.  If it becomes Federer vs Murray again, I hope Federer wins because Murray comes off as more douchey. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
On the contrary, Falcons, I would say that Raonic poses more than a "threat" and is actually the favorite to win that match.

As one of the diehardiest (??) of diehard Federer fans, though (he's the reason I am a tennis fan) I will be aching to see him win this one.

As for Tsonga and Berdych, their scripts say to lose to guys like Murray.  And they rarely go off-script.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »
And how about Kei Nishikori?  He was touted as the next big rising star, but he's been a letdown lately.  Apparently, he's injury prone and not as good as his contemporaries at playing through his injuries. 

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 03:32:49 AM »
I'm a big Federer fan too, Arvis, but I'd like to see Raonic win that match. We shall see.

Nishikori is very injury prone. He retired in last year's Wimbledon too. It's a shame because he got to the 2014 US Open final, and that shows you he is capable of great things. Dimitrov is another example of someone who was tipped for success, but he's really slipped from the top.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »
I've gotten my whole fantasy tennis league calling Kei 'The Glass Prince' because of how he's always injured all the time.  I started calling him The Prince of Tennis about 4 years ago, and he has yet to ascend to King status.  He is my second favorite player, after Fed, so I'm hoping he can have a couple years of healthy play and win a few Slams.  Or at least one Slam.

*sigh*

Fantasy-wise, I backed Kei and Thiem over Cilic and Berdych and it completely killed my team.  Really, though, leaving Kerber off my fantasy team did the most damage.  I don't know why I left a Slam champion off in favor of Madison Keys.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
I knew Raonic would win, but why did Fed have to get my hopes up like that?

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »
That was a well fought match, but Raonic had more in the gas tank.  We'll see how Berdych fares against Murray.

And in the Tour de France, the news today is that the 1KM checkpoint marker balloon crashed down on the race and bottlenecked the peloton.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
Murray is slaughtering Berdych. I should be more supportive of a British player than I am :P

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Murray's gonna do basically the same to Raonic in two days.  Prepare yourself.

Fed was serving 4-all 40-0 in the 4th set and got broken after serving two DFs in a row.  That's not how you win championships.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
I think Federer has just run out of juice. Cilic is a tough opponent to play a 5 Set match against, and then playing another 5 setter against another server, possibly the best in the game at the moment, is exhausting.

I think Murray will probably win this quite easily. Ah well. I'd like Raonic to win, but I'm equally not fussed. It's the best chance either of them are going to get.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Well, Serena defeated Kerber in straight sets.  Kerber fought well the first set, but ran out of gas the second set.  And while the Murray-Raonic match is pretty much Murray's to lose, I hope Raonic pushes him hard, gives him a good fight.

And Froomie pulled a very risky move in le Tour, and it paid off.  Nairo Quintana needs to step it up and be more aggressive, especially in these mountain stages where he's at his best.  And the drama within Team Tinkoff is quite soap opera, what with Roman Kreuziger out-douching Alberto Contador and being a selfish saboteur.  Serves Contador right, since he's been a selfish rider and not a team player.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:04:57 PM by Dincrest »