Author Topic: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Anyone watchin' the Wimbledons?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
I think the straight sets win for Murray doesn't highlight how well Raonic played. He made lots of silly errors but he played some of his best tennis at times, he just wasn't consistent.

Andy Murray was unbeatable today. I don't even think Djokovic could've beaten him.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
I missed Wimbledon and Tour de France today because I was out with my bicycle club.  It looked like two of the Murray-Raonic sets went into tiebreakers, so the numbers tell me Raonic made Murray truly earn his victory.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:49:55 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
Murray just played perfectly.  Basically no mistakes, never let Raonic in.  Pre-tournament, I picked Murray to win the whole thing, beating Novak in the final.  I think Falcons is right: Murray would have beaten even him.

Serena got Slam #22.  Sigh.  There's no arguing that she's the GOAT now.

How about Kerber, though?  One Slam championship, one Slam runner-up, and the most WTA Match wins on tour for 2016.  That's a good year.  I'm not used to that sort of consistency from WTA players.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
Anyone following the crazy Olympic tennis? Novak out, Serena out, Rafa Nadal making a massive resurgence, and MY BOY NISHIKORI INTO THE SEMIS (with a little help from his opponent)!!  Go for the gold, Kei!!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
Nishikori worked hard for that bronze. Nadal is my favourite player but tops to Nishikori!

On the other hand, look at how well Del Potro's been playing. I've missed this man so much. I'd love him to take the gold medal.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
I have no idea what happened to Kei against Murray.  Murray looked so vulnerable and Kei looked so good...

Still, I'm really proud he medaled!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Just popping in to give a huge shout out to my boy Kei Nishikori for avenging his Olympic semis loss to Murray.  GO ALL THE WAY, KEI!