Author Topic: Josh blindly flails his way through a natural magic/no esper run of FFVI -hiatus

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
I'm not going to do a Magitek Facilty Post. Mostly because the battles were too easy and didn't involve much strategy (a trend in the WoB).  Instead I've moved on to the weird flashbacky playable cutscene that makes a half assed attempt at explaining how everyone got into this mess (and how Terra came into being)

Maduin, Madonna and the Rest of the Idiots in Esper Land

A few thoughts

- So if the Espers put up a giant Drumpf style barrier in order to protect themselves from being exploited by humanity, why isn't there anyone guarding the thing when Madonna somehow wanders her way in?  You'd figure that if they were so concerned about being used for evil, maybe they'd have created some semblance of a border patrol so they could make sure that exactly what happened to them before didn't happen again.

- Maduin is a perv.  FACT.  Analogy ---> If aliens from another dimension  (who didn't look like your species AT ALL) suddenly slipped through a temporal rift and showed up on your doorstep, would your first reaction be "I guess I'd better have sex with it".  Also, thank Zeus Espers can assume human form, because otherwise Terra's siring wouldn't make much sense mechanically either.

- Madonna shows some telltale signs of Borderline Personality Disorder (which goes a long way toward explaining why Terra acts like a ridiculous person so much of the time).  In the span of roughly 30 seconds, Terra's mother goes from "It sure is great here in Esper Town, I'd never go back to shitty old Humanville" to hearing a  snide comment from a random esper to grabbing her infant daughter, sprinting past the armed invaders who've just spent all afternoon kidnapping most of her neighbors' and then flinging both herself and her baby through the dimensional vortex. (Ok. Ok. MAYBE she was shot to death at some point too)  Mood swings, villainization of loved ones and rash and erratic behavior are all pretty clear signals of someone dealing with a serious mental health issue.

Edit: How does someone "accidentally" wander through a massive 50 foot magical gate designed specifically to keep people out?  My guess is she was either in league with Gestahl from the start (and the plot thread was cut from the western release) or she was at the very peak of a payote trip and thought she was just going to the gas station for snacks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:09:27 AM by glassjawsh »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Yeah. That flashback is still all kinds of ridiculous.

For the gate thing, imagine if that 1000 yr old structure that's remained inert for 1000 yrs suddenly lurched back to life and spat some unfortunate shmuck out. The guard was probably out on a coffee break or something. Also, something something, Espers losing control and going berserk, something.

As for Madeen's perviness, its only gonna get worse in later FF games ("Any particular reason as to why you're watching over that Eiko kid so fiercely?").

One thing to note about the flashback is that it covers the space of a couple of years, so that's a couple of years worth of xenophobia before Madonna cracks and rushes Terra through the gate. That said, the irrational female trope that she displays during that segment is something that I've been coming to dislike over the course of my perusal of anime/manga/videogames from that era (see also: FE4's Ethlyn bringing her 2 yr old daughter with her on her husband's ill-conceived military campaign across a fucking desert because she didn't want to pay the babysitter Finn extra for watching over two kids (its not like he didn't need the extra money to replace all his equipment that hadn't just fallen into a volcano or something); its like you were trying to engineer a goddamn sibling rivalry between your kids). Also, no idea on whether Madonna was shot, stabbed or just didn't take well to getting spat out of a pocket dimension. Not that that forest that she and Gestahl makes any sense when you consider where the Sealed Gate is located (alternatively, there are multiple Sealed Gates and only the forest one gets permasealed again with the Elder's sacrifice; which makes far more sense given how casually they pop open the not-yet-Floating Continent's Sealed Gate).

As for the arrival, just assume that Madonna used the same method everybody else uses in one of these "Ditches boring ass human world for magical anime adventures in magical anime adventure world." animes (aka, Tripping some serious Rift).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
I love Magitek dungeon precisely for that reason, it's the first time in the game you have to actively use all your abilities instead of just kind of auto-battling, plus the mini-bosses and stuff made it more challenging.

The dungeon itself was a unique layout, never felt like I was grinding through rooms, plus the... oh don't want to spoil everything.

Yes, the Magitek Armor Facility is a perfect lesson in dungeon design that modern game makers could learn from.  Really really creative and interesting.  Plus, dat funky weird music.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
I love Magitek dungeon precisely for that reason, it's the first time in the game you have to actively use all your abilities instead of just kind of auto-battling, plus the mini-bosses and stuff made it more challenging.

The dungeon itself was a unique layout, never felt like I was grinding through rooms, plus the... oh don't want to spoil everything.

Yes, the Magitek Armor Facility is a perfect lesson in dungeon design that modern game makers could learn from.  Really really creative and interesting.  Plus, dat funky weird music.

Actually, its not really all that interesting. It's mostly conveyor belts, a couple of gimmicky boss fights, a few missable secrets and an escape sequence. The items are okay, but the dungeon is a once-only place which can get rather annoying (especially in regards to Rages).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile

Actually, its not really all that interesting. It's mostly conveyor belts, a couple of gimmicky boss fights, a few missable secrets and an escape sequence. The items are okay, but the dungeon is a once-only place which can get rather annoying (especially in regards to Rages).

^ this.  If you forget where a few secret tunnels are (like I did) it can turn into an exercise in frustration and lots of walking in circles.  Plus the boss fights are stupidly easy.  Number 024 particularly should be ridiculed as an idiot gimmick fight.  His "wall change" ability is cool (he can change what sort of spells he's weak to/absorbs) but doesn't make a lot of sense when it's so early in the game that most players still have a pretty limited spell set to choose from and stick to 90% melee attacks and skills.  I suppose the developers also thought they were being clever by making the strongest weapons your party has access to at that point all connected to a magic attack, but this is still almost entirely mooted by the strength of Sabin's blitz', Edgar's chainsaw tool and Cyan's SwdTech.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
It's mostly conveyor belts, a couple of gimmicky boss fights, a few missable secrets and an escape sequence.

All of which makes it more interesting than your average dungeon.  Compare it to the usual "go from A to B in a cave with a boss at the end" type dungeon and you'll see what I mean.  Seems like most dungeons are designed like that, while the Magitek Facility is at least creative and interesting.  Yes, it can get a bit repetitive, but at least it's different.  Makes a good impression for first-timers, as well (until they get tired of the random battles).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
  Plus, dat funky weird music.

Was my ringtone for like 2 years.

This was a mistake. It is stuck in my head til this very day. Not one day goes by I don't "hear" it.

Vector on through the rest of WoB right up til the floating continent is my favorite leg of the journey. I see the MTek dungeon as a real turning point of sorts and critical to setting things up for the false climax.

I'm not gonna echo everyone here in stating that I love the dungeon and the flashback is bat shit crazy but.. well I love the dungeon and flashback is a little bat shit crazy.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
I loved the flashbacks personally...

That's what I love about it, it's just so much simpler, no mega meta grinding. I especially like the once-only element.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:54:43 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Anyway, Jawsh I'm glad you picked FF6 to run through I always had a soft spot for FF6, myself =-)
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
I loved the flashbacks personally...

That's what I love about it, it's just so much simpler, no mega meta grinding. I especially like the once-only element.

Once Only restrictions on dungeons can be extremely annoying in some games. Here, its more of a minor offense then anything truly annoying. There are some nice items to find like some Gold tier armor and the elemental Swords, but missing them isn't that big of a deal since you have other ways of obtaining them (namely the Colosseum). However, the fact that the dungeon has a number of one way paths that plague the already one-shot dungeon makes missing crap inevitable, and that's just bad dungeon design.

Also, its kind of a weak finale for WoB's second act (sure you get Terra and the Airship, but you lose Celes for reasons that end up becoming disjointed and muddied due to all the melodrama fishing (and plot rewrites) going on and the Blackjack can't stay in the air for more than 5 minutes, let alone opening anything interesting up beyond a single grinding spot and a location that isn't worth trying to circumvent the bogarding for advanced gear).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
^also the dungeon immediately following it (Cave to the Sealed Gate) is light years more entertaining.  Great puzzles (actual puzzles), a neat gimmick (moving bridges!), decent music and the encounter rate isn't near as frustrating (which is doubly nice because you need to backtrack a little in order to nab all the treasure).  It could've benefited from an actual boss fight at the end though. 

The only real negative that the Cave to the Sealed Gate presents is that entering it is a result of the LITERAL STUPIDEST PLAN I HAVE EVER HEARD.  "Hey, you know those giant super dangerous magic creatures that have hated humanity for a 1000 years?  Lets send a half human, who they've never met, to ask them to help us fight in one of the many pointless wars that made them hate us in the first place!  Nope, I don't see that backfiring at all" This is made doubly hilarious by Banon and Arvis and the rest of the Returners aimlessly wandering around Vector going never imagined that the most obvious outcome is the thing that ended up happening"

Aeolus

• View Profile
^also the dungeon immediately following it (Cave to the Sealed Gate) is light years more entertaining.  Great puzzles (actual puzzles), a neat gimmick (moving bridges!), decent music and the encounter rate isn't near as frustrating (which is doubly nice because you need to backtrack a little in order to nab all the treasure).  It could've benefited from an actual boss fight at the end though. 

The only real negative that the Cave to the Sealed Gate presents is that entering it is a result of the LITERAL STUPIDEST PLAN I HAVE EVER HEARD.  "Hey, you know those giant super dangerous magic creatures that have hated humanity for a 1000 years?  Lets send a half human, who they've never met, to ask them to help us fight in one of the many pointless wars that made them hate us in the first place!  Nope, I don't see that backfiring at all" This is made doubly hilarious by Banon and Arvis and the rest of the Returners aimlessly wandering around Vector going never imagined that the most obvious outcome is the thing that ended up happening"

The only thing that annoys me about the Sealed Cave is that its also a Once Only dungeon since you can't really revisit it due to having the Vector/Dinner Party sequence followed immediately by the Crescent Island arc which ends with the dungeon, along with the rest of the continent being lifted off the face of the map wholesale. The upside is that its not nearly as obnoxious to navigate as Magitek Factory was since you can explore more at your leisure and not get bogarded by one-way conveyor belts. The Ultima AtmaWeapon is also a really nice prize once you start getting 1500+ HP totals (and it turns into a huge, badass lightsaber).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Sorry folks, I've been in Arkansas for the last week.  LP to resume shortly with:

Thamasa, or The Best Way to Put Out a Fire is by Punching It in the Face

Also Leo is a dick (or a damned idiot) and I'm glad he's dead

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Ohhhhhhhh boy, things are getting interesting now!!!
Code: [Select]
[i]
***HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!***[/i]
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Aeolus

• View Profile
Ohhhhhhhh boy, things are getting interesting now!!!
Code: [Select]
[i]
***HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!***[/i]
[____________________________]

Nah. I wouldn't do that to you, while my D*2 Paladin's still alive and well.

Sorry folks, I've been in Arkansas for the last week.  LP to resume shortly with:

Thamasa, or The Best Way to Put Out a Fire is by Punching It in the Face

Also Leo is a dick (or a damned idiot) and I'm glad he's dead

Yep. Leo is either Lawful Stupid or puts Honor before Reason. Never saw what Terra saw in him (again this feels like it should've come up a bit sooner).