Author Topic: Pokemon Go

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Pokemon Go
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:09:30 PM »
So far, 1 major traffic accident, 1 dead body, and several casual accidents of people walking into stationary objects and other people....

Who else is still thoroughly enjoying walking around and pretending they are a pokemon trainer?

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:04:57 PM »
The game's a bit lacking in features at the moment and I can see it getting fairly boring somewhat quickly. But for the time being it at least makes my walk to work slightly less dreadful.

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 12:35:06 AM »
Well, I caught a Venomoth in my bathroom, so I chalk that up as a win.

It's definitely a tad bare-bones so far, but also pretty addictive. It'll be interesting to see what happens once the fad wears off (will they add more Pokemon? Legendaries? Being able to trade and battle with friends?).

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
My wife, son, and I have been playing a lot. We can't seem to figure out one thing though...we go to a gym....battle...get the opposing pokemon down to nothing and then...it freezes. We can't seem to move onto the next pokemon at the gym, or take over the gym.

I caught a meowth and jigglypuff while shopping at Costco.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »
I spent almost 3 hours walking around my neighborhood looking for pokemon tonight, and even took over a gym twice, though some asshole had me on a type advantage and beat me out both times cuz A.I. is terribad. I walked about 5 miles just fucking around... even bumped into a shitload of people doing the same thing. It's so simple and minimal, yet this is almost EXACTLY what I would imagine pokemon training to be like in the real world. It's really a shitload of fun in the end.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »
It's fun, but still has fledgling issues, like crashes, freezes, getting bumped off, login issues, because mobile Internet can be spotty.  However, that's stuff any new venture like this faces.  "So not the drama" to quote Kim Possible. 

One of my friends found an egg but apparently he has to walk 5K to hatch it.  

The game works on an iPad, but I feel like it's more conducive to phones... And my phone upgrade hasn't come in yet so I'm gonna wait before downloading it to my phone.  And, yes, my avatar is female with a dark complexion and the yellow-black-purple outfits.

We on staff are plotting a Pokemon GO feature, so stay tuned for that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:27:34 AM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

JohnA

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:46:09 PM »
I wasn't able to get on until today. But once I did, it's a lot more fun than I imagined. I went downtown a couple of hours ago and there were tons of people playing it. It was like reliving the days Pokemon made its debut in the West : )

That said, the game is pretty bare bones and I can see the fad wearing off unless the developers have some new features in store for us. Here's hoping they capitalize on their success.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:56:11 PM by JohnA »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
Caught a shitload of pokemon just traveling around my neighborhood. Managed to hold down 3 gyms for a few hours too. Lapras 798, Vaporeon 771, Exeggutor 725...not a bad night.

Actually got a growlithe at my house this evening too. Pretty wintastic.

TASTY!

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »
They're adding trading soon, it looks like, so that'll be fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZbXC8a7Fg

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »

You can add this to your feature as well: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/11/nintendo-sees-biggest-stock-jump-since-1983-thanks-pokmon-go/

Shit's more explosive than the OG Famicom.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
I threw the Pokeball at Metapod and somehow he got away. How is that possible? How does Metapod even move?

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
Yowzas! http://www.marketwatch.com/story/not-all-fun-and-games-pokemon-go-leads-to-robberies-dead-bodies-2016-07-10

Downloaded Pokemon Go yesterday. Went for a swim in the pool first. Then I tried walking around my house. I found Bulbasaur at the main entrance of the home. Fun stuff. I can see why this is addictive. To me it's like a massive-global-scale-geocaching-augmented-reality-gamer-fun-without-having-to-put-on-all-smancy-fancy-VR-gear. ;P

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
And it's gonna be amaaaazing! =D

Anyway, I'm super miffed at how hard it is to catch Pokemon. My aim is (Poke)balls. I truly have much more respect for Ash, considering how he can catch them in one go. Also, I ran into a Bulbasaur while I was out shopping, but it totally ran away from me after three failed attempts to catch it. I was majorly bummed. I'm glad it's also very easy on data; I only used up .1 GB after an hour or so of running it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »
Do the spinball motion. Spin the ball around the bottom and lob it to your preferred side at an angle,it should spin back and land on the center.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
Finally went out of my way after work to a Pokestop (there aren't any near me that are particularly convenient to get to), taking a big risk of missing my bus home by doing so, only to have the servers down.

Gonna be out of Poke Balls until at least Thursday now.