Media > RPGFan Music Discussion

I Am Setsuna OST

(1/2) > >>

brogidchwa:
Francis wrote a review of the I Am Setsuna OST!

Any thoughts on the OST or the review? Discussion S.T.A.R.T !!

francis:
Haha oh man I didn't realise you posted this: sorry (and thanks)! Need to look at the forums more.

If you (or anyone reading this) are interested, its worth looking into I am Setsuna Official Soundtrack Collection: Winter's End. (http://ciarecords.bandcamp.com/album/winters-end-i-am-setsuna-original-soundtrack-collection)

I think most people will enjoy that release more as the songs have been rearranged to be more self-contained (i.e. doesn't sound like you're listening to GAME music) and dynamically/structurally variable, rather than just looping once or twice before fading away. Also it's cheaper (and on Bandcamp!). That said, I don't know which release I prefer.

EDIT: Also one song has sweet ambient synths now, which is nice.

Ramza:
Glad that Tomoki Miyoshi (I assume, based on this digital album's existence) retained the rights to his work so he could publish it on Bandcamp. Score one for the little guys.

(I mean, I still have reasons to love S-E, but the way they strong-armed Uematsu legally, where Uematsu would have to pay licensing/royalties on *his own work* when he played FF stuff with Earthbound Papas ... I get WHY, but it leaves me feeling rather unhappy. The same can be said of the forever-unreleased Xenosaga II in-game music by Shinji Hosoe).

francis:
Well since the bandcamp page seems to belong to Creative Intelligence Arts, I'm not certain whether he retains the right. Little guys might still be as small as they ever were. I don't know what CIA is though: if they're just a talent agency or something then maybe he does?

That's an interesting point about Uematsu and S-E. A reader emailed me to point out that one of the pieces from IAS sounds quite similar to a song from FF9. I suggested that if it were the case that S-E owned the rights to FF's music, then there would be no need to worry about the melodic/harmonic similarities between the two. Still, that does suck a little for Uematsu though. Is that part of why he ended up going freelance?

Ramza:

--- Quote from: francis on September 08, 2016, 06:48:39 PM ---Well since the bandcamp page seems to belong to Creative Intelligence Arts, I'm not certain whether he retains the right. Little guys might still be as small as they ever were. I don't know what CIA is though: if they're just a talent agency or something then maybe he does?

That's an interesting point about Uematsu and S-E. A reader emailed me to point out that one of the pieces from IAS sounds quite similar to a song from FF9. I suggested that if it were the case that S-E owned the rights to FF's music, then there would be no need to worry about the melodic/harmonic similarities between the two. Still, that does suck a little for Uematsu though. Is that part of why he ended up going freelance?

--- End quote ---

CIA is a loose collective ... Eminence Orchestra is a part of them ... it's like a large and loosely-built team of Australian and Japanese musicians. CIA is officially the team behind the development-hell KS game "Project Phoenix."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version