Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319300 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So... Hellgate London
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: So... Hellgate London  (Read 6781 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »

I've heard people trash the game after playing the demo, but then change their minds after playing the beta.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »

That's what I've been hearing as well. I'd like to know why though, because I've got no idea what they're going to do in terms of environment variety.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »

I picked up the box at the store today (but didn't buy yet), and it says there are six classes in the game, only two of which were available in the demo.  Frankly, it seems unlikely that I'd play as either of the demo classes.  As you might guess, I like summoning classes.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 10:24:05 PM »

Well keep us informed, like I said, I really dig the setting, but ......

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »

I've decided that unless the reviews are astronomically awesome, I'm not going to get this. It seems cool, but there are tons of games coming out this season and this one is pretty low on my list. That, and my friend (who has very similar taste in games to me) has gotten bored of it over the past two days.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »

I picked it up, I'm on Act 2, at level 10, so here are my thoughts so far:

-Environment variety is exactly what I feared it would be: repetitive. Your either in some train tracks/tunnels, or out in the streets, and that's about it. I got to go to hell a few times, and while those are different, they can't make up for the constant repetitiveness of the other environments.

-Graphics: What happened? I dunno, but this game looks very....bland. Ugly at times even. I just expected something at LEAST on the quality of Guild Wars, but it's not even at THAT level, even with some nice shader effects here and there. Also, I HATE how other players are made up of some ugly, low polly, low rez garbage, while you look fine. For a game that's all about loot, I'd like for other people to see me in my normal version, not some barely-EverQuest quality. Guild Wars did this, but only in towns.

-Story: Wait, what story? Honestly, I don't care for it anymore. After setting it up soooo well with that amazing CG intro, you get nothing but texts for your quests, and at least as far as I can tell, monologues between Acts. Again, very disappointing. The main story quests are just excuses to get you from point A to point B, nothing more. Side quests are pretty cool, but don't stray too far from your typical MMO type stuff.

I dunno, I was hyped for this game after seeing a few trailers and reading about it, and while it IS fun, and can be addictive, I don't think it can ever reach the level of Diablo 2. if at least they changed how the environments look in between acts like Diablo 2 did, it wouldn't be half bad, but as it stands, this is going to get tired quickly. Doesn't help the game is littered with small, but annoying bugs that have that god awful smell of "Beta", like character model not loading up at times, character armor color changing at random, and some crashes. While I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed, I am still having some fun with it. Maybe it's because I've been wanting to play a game like this for a while and Guild Wars was just too boring for me, but this is NOT something I'm going to be willing to pay $10 a month for, at least not right now.

It has potential, but let's hope Flagship can capitalize on that potential. If you guys have any questions, ask away and I'll answer them no problem.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 05:16:08 PM »

Is it worth it for the single player alone? I dont see myself paying for another online rpg.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »

There's a demo out there, Dade. I'd say no, but these kind of games don't usually appeal to me anyway.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Is it worth it for the single player alone? I dont see myself paying for another online rpg.

I'd say no, since the reason to play a Single-Player RPG like this one would be for a Story, which is Hellgates weakest suit. That is, unless you REALLY like the combat. You do know you don't HAVE to pay to go online right? There are two types of membership types for Online players, Free and Subscriber. You still get to enjoy the whole game online as a Free member, with a few limitations:

-You can't start your own Guild.
-You have 20 Stash slots, as opposed to 40.
-You will not be able to get any sort of updates that they release, like new Dungeons, Classes, what have you, which will be released every 3-4 months.
-You will not have access to Leaderboards and a few other PvP features.
-You don't have access to the Hardcore mode.

There might be other restrictions, but as far as the core game goes, you would be on an even playing filed with subscribers. players of either camp can interact with each other, trade, join guilds, the like.

So, if you ARE considering going ahead and purchasing the game, just play online, since there is no reason NOT to.

*Progress Report*
Got to Act 3, level 16 right now. I'm starting not to mind the repetitiveness of the locations, simply because combat is so awesome. The game's itemazation was done extremely well too, and really keeps you hooked if you get into it. But, this game performs like a dog. My Pc can freaking Run CRYSIS on high settings(the demo anyways), and yet, this game stutters, lags, and crashes left and right. It really, really, really feels like it's still in Beta. I dunno why, but I'm going to blame EA for this. Hopefully the upcoming December patch can fix this, since the bugs are really getting on my bad side.

Umm.....do any of you even have the game?

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »

Biggest reason why I don't PC game anymore.
Bugs aside from hardware conflicts are inexcusable. I was tired of paying $50 for a game only to find skills, spells, items, etc broken due to coding issues, and then have the game dropped by the developer resulting in no patches.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »

1up gave it a four.

O. M. G.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »

Combine that with my getting into the Mythos beta, and I'm never going to get Hellgate.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: