Author Topic: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
Phantasy Star IV - Final report

I did it! I defeated my first Phantasy Star :D

It's weird, having grown up with Nintendo and Sony systems, Sega games always felt out of reach. It makes having finished Phantasy Star IV feel like a Very Important Thing. As dated as the game felt, it was also sort of neat. I liked the vehicles, the cutscenes and some of the boss designs. In the end, the game was not too difficult. I did keep some of the frustration/outdated game design in check using save states, as some of the dungeons were frustratingly long and blad (screw you, Air Castle!).

I paid: 0,62
I played: 15 hours
Worth the wait?: I was afraid it'd be a case of: "A classic is something everyone wants to have played, but nobody wants to play." It would have made more of an impact if I had played it back when it was still new, but I'm thankful for modern conveniences like save states (and the abuse thereof). Above all, I'm just glad I played through this classic.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
Phantasy Star IV - Final report

I did it! I defeated my first Phantasy Star :D

It's weird, having grown up with Nintendo and Sony systems, Sega games always felt out of reach. It makes having finished Phantasy Star IV feel like a Very Important Thing.

I actually totally know what you mean with this statement. I just moved my business and residence in the last week, have been staying awake 30 hours + in a clip before napping to get the labor done in my "timestable/schedulde" and I still somehow feel like your accomplishment here puts me to shame. Mondo congrats on this one Tomara.

This was exactly how I felt when I finally played Terranigma a few years back.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »
For what it's worth, this project is slowing down now because I have some adulting to do. Which somehow involves watching anime and playing other games. And being paid shit. Mostly being paid shit, really. What you do is way more impressive. I don't have a business worthy of moving or anything like that.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »
I have some adulting to do.

^^ I'm stealing that phrasing. I promise to give you credit.

I was adulting around for the last 5-6 days or I would have seen that and thanked you for the verbage sooner.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
Don't give me too much credit. I think I might have heard it somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm back on track!

It's one of Daedalic Entertainment's early point & click adventure games and since Daedalic is a German game studio, I decided to play the game in German. Makes me feel like an elitist bastard, but the voice acting is good. Plus, the English used in the game doesn't feel quite natural, so playing it in German (which does sound natural) makes it more immersive or something.

In any case, more time travel! This time it's not about stopping a badly drawn Hitler and his Jurassic army, but about saving the environment. Fay is a girl from the future in which the world counting down to the end. She's part of a team that, in a desperate final attempt, tries to save humanity by going back in time and making sure humans don't fuck up the planet. Of course, this is easier said than done. Fay is trying to get help from Bent, a retired scientist, who might hold the key to a green energy source that could save the world, but since people don't usually get visitors from the future, you can probably imagine how well this is going...

One of the cool things about this game is the presentation: cutscenes are basically motion comics.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
A New Beginning - Report 2
I've just reached chapter 5, which means I should be about halfway through. I couldn't help being curious and looked at some reviews (wait, shouldn't I have done that before buying the game?). Three things commonly mentioned:
1. The game/puzzles feel a bit old-school when it comes to the logic used
2. It's very European
3. OMFG! THIS GAME HAS AN AGENDA, CLIMATE CHANGE IS A HOAX, I WANT A REFUND

I can't argue with the first one, and I'm not entirely sure what they mean by the second (are European adventure games different enough from American ones to be called something like euro-adventures?), but the third one is funny as heck. To me, anyway. Maybe it has something to do with the whole European thing. Over here, climate change is (mostly) accepted as real and all the countries sitting at the cool kid table are experimenting with clean energy and renewable resources.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2016, 07:20:25 AM »
A New Beginning - Final report
That was a pretty intense finale. Ecoterrorists! Bombs! Betrayal!

I paid: €0,99
I played: 8 hours
Worth the wait?: The reviews weren't stellar, but I really enjoyed this adventure game. It reminded me of the comics I used to read as a kid. Plus, it's nice to see female protagonists like Fay. She has a good head on her shoulders, works hard for what she believes in but isn't immume to doubt, and does all her adventuring wearing sensible clothes.

Hey, I'm halfway through the list and it's time to reveal another game. Who wants to pick a number?

Edit: I forgot to add a warning. Play A New Beginning in German is you can. The English translation is bad, the English voice acting is terrible. If you don't speak German, atleast switch the voice track to German. There are subtitles available.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:00:47 AM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
** Squirms anxiously waiting for someone to pick a number **

** gets nervous no one is gonna pick a number fast enough to stave off ninja nerves **

** mutters 10 discreetly in disguised tone under a cough **

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
Even if climax change were a hoax(hint: it's not), what (other than being a greedy prick) could possibly motivate someone to be so hostile about a worldwide shift towards green energy? Unless you own or work for an oil or coal company, it will only benefit you. People are baffling.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Even if climax change were a hoax(hint: it's not), what (other than being a greedy prick) could possibly motivate someone to be so hostile about a worldwide shift towards green energy? Unless you own or work for an oil or coal company, it will only benefit you. People are baffling.

There are also plenty of people who firmly believe that anything new or different is a conspiracy designed to undermine their very existence.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2016, 03:06:45 AM »
And the funny thing is, I've played JRPG's that were more heavy handed about it than A New Beginning. Looking at you, Tales.

Wait, no, there's something funnier. A New Beginning is set in the early 80s, less than a decade after people got to notice for themselves that having alternatives to oil could be a very good idea. Or maybe that's an European thing again. Were we hit harder by the oil crisis of the 70s?

Eidt: Oh, and number 10 is LISA. I was wondering when someone was going to pick that one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:29:12 AM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2016, 03:56:56 AM »
It's time for another RPG Maker game, because I might have a problem :D

So... this is part two of the five games that tell the story of Marine, a young girl who decides to take on the oppressive government by falling back on an old law. Her plan basically comes down to: collect warriors, fight ruling party in a tournament, win the elections.

At the start of part two, Marine has two fighters and a 'maybe', but here's the thing: if they win, these registered fighters are actually put into office. Thusfar, Marine's got a crocodile hunter and a shirtless dude that likes poetry. This game, she'll likely add... a pirate and another shirtless dude? Yeah. As the player, I'm starting to wonder if I should actually support Marine. She's making the US elections look sane.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
And the funny thing is, I've played JRPG's that were more heavy handed about it than A New Beginning. Looking at you, Tales.

Wait, no, there's something funnier. A New Beginning is set in the early 80s, less than a decade after people got to notice for themselves that having alternatives to oil could be a very good idea. Or maybe that's an European thing again. Were we hit harder by the oil crisis of the 70s?

Eidt: Oh, and number 10 is LISA. I was wondering when someone was going to pick that one.

You guys probably got the worse of it because something something, American imperialism, something something, buddies with Saudi Arabia, something. But also alternatives to oil were being proposed even before that period as well (and getting swept under the rug by lobbyists and their pocketed politicians). The Aughts era of oil overinflation was what brought the issue back front and center (the running debate on whether the Greenhouse Effect was real or not helped; but really, it was the $4 a gallon for gas that got everyones' attention).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
That makes sense. It's difficult to change things that don't hit close to home. Which was kind of the point A New Beginning made anyway.

Anyway, played some more...

Millennium 2 - Report 2
So, Marine is hard at work legally overthrowing the government. Sure, she made a quick side trip to search for her mother in a swamp (you can guess how well that ended), but that did lead her to a new fighter: a dark-skinned shirtless dude who speaks in broken English. Well, Marine is certainly being... inclusive, I guess?

She got her second 'maybe' a little after that. Jezebel is willing to trade in beast taming for punching government officials if we find her griffin. The elections are in a couple of weeks, so Marine is super desperate.

Meanwhile, I keep making her make detours to pick up all the shiny things. It's important. (Except, not really, because I'm playing on easy and couldn't give a crap about fully completing this game. It's just that collecting shiny objects is kind of fun in its own right.)

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Really interested in LISA myself. Earthbound-ee and weird looking to the max, it was an appealing prospect to me for originality alone.

From what I saw it struck that lovely note of "pretty pixel art" for me personally. This is important because retro graphics could potentially come across as just ugly IMO.