Author Topic: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
Millennium 2: Take Me Higher - Final report
Finally found the stupid griffin.

I paid: 2,99
I played: 7 hours
Worth the wait?: Eh... Yeah, this is more or less the first disappointment on the list. I liked the first game, it certainly set a new standard for RPG Maker games back when it came out, but part two is just more of the same and its faults are becoming harder to ignore. The writing is juvenile, like, bad YA novel level. The games spells a lot out for you and while I understand it's difficult to tell a story through sprites, there really should be more showing rather than telling going on. Game design is still as messy as in the first game. While it's fun to find all sorts of hidden stuff, it's very much a matter of trial and error. Add in some cut-off points you don't see coming, and this game is far from completionist-friendly.

Really interested in LISA myself. Earthbound-ee and weird looking to the max, it was an appealing prospect to me for originality alone.

It's probably one of the more high-profile games on the list. ... Which doesn't mean much, but still. Technically, it's another RPG maker game, but it looks really unique and kind of disturbing. So, yeah, I'm really curious as well. (Not curious enough to have played it back when I bought it, but I'm sure I had my reasons. I think one of them was called "Xenoblade Chronicles X".)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2016, 05:21:25 AM »
The RPG Maker saga continues:

Something's a little Off about this game... As in, it was heavily inspired by Off and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The creepy weirdness may be similar, but the business theme does give it its own vibe.

I paid: €0,59
I played: 4 hours
Worth the wait?: It's weird and it's cheap. What's not to like?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:24:58 AM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2016, 03:20:16 AM »
New game!

My impression thusfar: Mad Max as an Earthbound-inspired dad-game.

It's a little intimidating, because this is one of those games in which you make Important Choices and characters can die. I'm playing on normal, meaning I can save at save points normally, but there's also a pain mode in which the save points EXPLODE after use.

I'm still scared, though.

I'm just glad I've found a nice dark cave with an respawning enemy that drops both money and useful items, meaning I've got a good place to grind/shed my cowardice.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »
Don't worry, I'm still working on this...

LISA - Report 2
I got a bike, beat the boss of the first area, rescued an unfortunate truck driver and I'm now making my way to the second area.

This game scares me. It's not just the choices (you're expected to sacrifice or at the very least risk the lives of your party members at times, think a way bloodier version of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume), but also the parts where you don't have a choice and you have to make Brad do things you don't want to do. It's a painful gaming experience and the reason I'm only making slow progress. After 30-45 minutes, I just need a break because the game keeps me on edge. What I wouldn't give for another Cat Lady right now...

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »
LISA - Report 3
I murdered a bunch of innocent(?) people with a bulldozer, destroyed a religion revolving around fastfood and was dragged to fish court for theft. Next area is coming up. If I'm not dead inside yet, I'll be soon.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2016, 05:52:13 AM »
LISA - Final report
And that was LISA. My first impression was almost correct. This is what it actually was: Mad Max as a very fucking depressing Earthbound-inspired dad-game.

It was painful.

I paid: €2,49
I played: 12 hours
Worth the wait?: I guess, yes. I can't say I enjoyed the game. Sure, the combat was fun, but the story made me flinch and crinch. At times, I involuntary looked away and squeeky no's came out of my mouth. Probably would have made a good reaction video. It was a miserable yet unique and I'm happy I got to experience it for myself, however... this is going straight on the 'never play again' pile.

I could use something more light-hearted entertainment right now. Anyone know if The Walking Dead volume 27 is out yet?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:55:39 AM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 04:09:56 AM »
Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals
My reasons for getting this game: it's an RPG, it has hundreds of positive reviews and it was 99% off. Other than that, I had no idea what I was buying.

So, what is it? The art kind of indicates a grimdark tale of swords and sorcery, but the game is in fact...

Lufia mixed with The Slayers! It's the tale of two sisters who are tricked into unleashing an immortal being. One of them ends up with a slight case of possession. Fortunately, this dark lord doesn't do much other than grant amazing powers and rant at NPCs. The journey to fix this mishap involves a barely competent swordsman, some other weird companions I'm bound to meet, and lots of puzzles revolving around coloured blocks or explosives. Battles play a relatively minor role and you get a lot of exp just by completing quests and tasks.

I'm two hours in and it appears to be a fun, streamlined and compact RPG.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:15:07 AM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals - Final Report

Other than the fact that I just found out it's the first game of a trilogy and ends on a cliffhanger, this game was a very nice surprise. While it's nothing spectacular on a technical and perhaps even design level, the great number of puzzles and the funny dialogue make it something that does stand out from the RPG Maker crowd. For instance, every NPC is unique and it's really worth it to talk to everyone. Lilly and Sasha made me laugh harder than Paper Mario Color Splash, that has to count for something. I also love how compact the game is. It gets fetch questy at times (though this is 90% optional), but it's like fastfood for the inner completionist.

I paid: 0,08
I played: 13 hours
Worth the wait?: I had no idea what I was waiting for but it turned out to be a thoroughly entertaining little game. Maybe I should buy the second and third part of the story. There's only 90% off right now (costing 49 cents per game), but still... Sometimes you just have to take a chance, you know?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »
I've been trying to play Costume Quest 2, but the Xbox 360 controller lags. Badly. The delay is like a second or so. Makes timing attacks much more difficult than it needs to be. I need to figure out how to fix this before I can really continue... I probably won't be able to finish my backlog before the end of the year. Oh well...

Meanwhile, I've been stressing out over work. Before I'd just let my bloodlust take over and murder some Tetris highscores, but I've been trying to play other games instead. So, here's a Special Edition of Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!

Tomb of Tyrants - Special Report

Tomb of Tyrants is a matching game in the vein of You Must Build a Boat, but instead of building a boat you dig a reverse tower to defend. And instead of matching three, you match four or more resources. In theory, you can match up to 18 resources at once and the game rewards you for making big shapes. However, it is a tower defense game, though, so you need to pick up the pace if you want to last. Fortunately, you can pause the game at any time to consider your next move or order minions around.

(The screenshot is directly from the Steam page and it seems the developer has not bothered to update is to reflect the updated version of the game. The current interface looks a little fancier.)

I paid: €3,19
I played: 10 hours
Worth the wait?: Yay, matching stuff! Glorious destraction! It was good stress relief for ten hours or so, but I do have two complaints. The first is that the game throws nearly all mechanics at you right at the beginning. It can be a little overwhelming. The second is that progress grinds to a halt after 8-10 hours, when there's much less left to unlock and build.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:37:59 AM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2016, 03:28:56 AM »
After not visiting the thread for a minute cause life kept me barely able to keep up with gaming/journal posts I am now utterly convinced you are completing my backlog, Tomara.

Seriously, thank you for all of this info.

I said it before but this thread is invaluable to me. If I gave you a list of crap-ohla to check out and give a review of it would have looked somewhat like this. I am bookmarking this now and referencing it for my steam selections for a looooong time to come.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
After some consideration (and expanding my backlog by another 10+ titles thanks to the sales), I've decided to drop Costume Quest 2 for now. Only reliable solution seems to be throwing more horse power at it and that simple isn't going to happen anytime soon. Costume Quest 2 will get another chance when it's on sale on PSN or I get a new laptop (I'm thinking... mid 2019?)

So, I'm going to focus on the next title on the list and hopefully finish the thing in a somewhat timely manner (so I can start Steam Wars: The Backlog Strikes Back, which will feature twenty more games with weird titles like 'BAD END' and 'Why am I dead at sea?').

I said it before but this thread is invaluable to me. If I gave you a list of crap-ohla to check out and give a review of it would have looked somewhat like this. I am bookmarking this now and referencing it for my steam selections for a looooong time to come.

Glad to hear it :) Maybe we could add eachother as friends? That way, you can see my library and ask my opinion on the games I've played. On the other hand, that would kind of ruin the surprise when I reveal something on the list...

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Labyronia - Report 1

This pretty much what it says on the can: a RPG with labyrinths. Basically, the world was a normal fantasy world but then some stuff with a pendant happened and then... SPIRALS! Kind of like Uzumaki the RPG but without the horror element. I mean, it's just a generic happy looking RPG Maker world afterall. But, you know, with SPIRALS!

In any case, it's pretty fun thusfar. I've encountered two labyrints thusfar and though I usually hate mazes (wait, why did I buy this game?) these weren't so bad. You've just got to remember their basic structures. Like, the first one is just a collection of spirals dividing the dungeon into segments (and there's a bread crumb trail leading to the exit and boss room).

What I like is that the game starts of in a corner of the world and the story is basically like: "Okay, go gather the four elemental crystals. You might want to start over there. Have fun!" There's structure without handholding or a crapton of artificial roadblocks, and that's nice.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2016, 04:49:40 PM »
I didn't make my deadline, but I did beat another game before the end of the year:

Labyronia - Final report
I played the prequel, Legend of Mysteria, before and when it comes to writing, this game suffers from the same problems. It was obviously written by a non-native speakers (not that I'm one to judge, but it is something I noticed) and the love story is just super awkward. That said, I did like the big picture. Basically, four flawed gods half-destroyed the world by creating the labyrinths. Their wish was to stop senseless wars, end the age of soldiers and begin the age of explorers. However, because of their human emotions they screwed up and unleashed monsters as well. There's actually some cool twists towards the ending, including (spoiler for the final boss fight):

Spoiler: show
Killing your healer right before the final battle. The difficulty of the final boss takes this party change into account, but man, I did not see that coming!

As for the gameplay, the dungeon designs weren't as annoying as I feared they would be. A few dungeons had an irritating gimmick, but it was nothing too time consuming. Besides, the game does reward you for exploring. For instance, characters learn new skills when you discover 'cues', like weirdly coloured trees, a snow man in a dessert and other strange objects.

I paid: 0,25
I played: 10 hours
Worth the wait?: It was an okay RPG Maker game, but I do really like the idea of those labyrinths. SPIRALS!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
The Deed - First and final report

Scotland, 1945. Your asshole of a father is planning on leaving everything to your mentally unstable sister, so you decide to make your father's 50th birthday a memorable one by killing your sister. Of course, you have no plans of going to prison, so you need to make it look like suicide or frame someone. To do so, you can plant one piece of evidence and select a murder weapon from a dozen or so options found throughout the house. Also, you need to be careful what you say, not just to your family and the staff, but also to the detective that will attempt to solve the mystery.

So... yeah. This little adventure game is an actual murder simulator. Instead of solving the perfect crime, you try to commit it.

The game is short, with playthroughs being 10-15 minutes each, but that's part of the fun. Thus far, I've gotten away with four murders (and once acted like the worst criminal ever just to see what would happen if you fail), and I might try to get some more endings later, but for now I've had enough.

I paid: 0,34
I played: 1 hour
Worth the wait?: Neat little game. I enjoy detective novels and it was fun to create a case instead of solve it.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
I haven't played Lisa but I did listen to the soundtrack sounds really good.