Author Topic: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!

Tomara

• View Profile
Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:02:30 PM »
I buy weird stuff on Steam. Sometimes I buy a a little faster than I can play and the games stack up. Right now, I have this list of 20 games I'd like to play through sometime soon. I could simply roll a dice or three and decide the order that way, but that's no fun. I'll let you guys decide! Without actually telling you what games you're voting for!

Here's the list:
1. The Blackwell Legacy (20) - Playing that other game with a phantom detective
2. The Cat Lady (8) - Finished!
3. Costume Quest 2 (15) - Cancelled!
4. Cubicle Quest (4) - Finished!
5. Data Hacker: Initiation (19) - Now playing
6. The Deed (17) - Finished!
7. Her Story (6) - Finished!
8. Labyronia (16) - Finished!
9. Lilly & Sasha: Curse of the Immortals (14) - Finished
10. LISA (13) - Finished!
11. Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler-  (5) - Finished!
12. Millennium 2: Take me Higher (11) - Finished!
13. A New Beginning (10) - Finished!
14. Postmortem: One Must Die (1) - Finished!
15. Science Girls (18) - Finished!
16. Phantasy Star IV (9) - Finished!
17. Sins of the Demon (3) - Finished!
18. Suits: A Business RPG (12) - Finished!
19. This Starry Midnight We Make (2) - Finished!
20. Time Gentemen, Please! (7) - Finished!

I've already played through Postmortem: One Must Die, a game in which you play as a grim reaper attending a fundraising gala in order to snuff out a life at the end of the night. You can choose randomly (which makes for a very short playthrough), or talk with the guests, make an informed decision and maybe even bend the future a little.

It was a short game that can be completed in 5-50 minutes, but since there are various different outcomes a few replays are recommended. I wouldn't recommend it at its original price, but it's a fun little thought experiment to grab during the sales. I paid 0,74, played for 87 minutes and it was worth it.

Next game up is This Starry Midnight We Make, a game in which I will be making stars using alchemy, I think? I'll keep you guys posted, because, of course I will. It'd be a waste of a perfectly good thread if I didn't.

Want to decide what I should play? Pick a number! But... maybe don't pick them too fast? Like, maybe keep the 'line' at 3 games or less? I'll mark the games I'll already played through, so it should be easy to see how many games are actively waiting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:50:59 AM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Wow do I know this feeling.

I went from having virtually nothing to play on computer to a steam library of 129 games now (since may/june) thanks to bundles/sales/clients tipping me in games/winning games in give-aways.

I recently had to draft up a way to organize my game-time as well in the interest of avoiding "gaming-meltdown/playing 9 games at once".

Anyhow, that aside my vote is 4 cause' I like that number!

As for you actually managing the voting and time spent with the titles, maybe try something arbitrary like 1 game per weekend per vote? (just an example, I don't know what type of time you have on your hands or how dedicated you are to other titles at the moment).
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »
Wow do I know this feeling.

I went from having virtually nothing to play on computer to a steam library of 129 games now (since may/june) thanks to bundles/sales/clients tipping me in games/winning games in give-aways.

My pace is a little slower, but I went from a few Steam games to 91 in 2,5 years time. My laptop can't handle much, so I need to be picky.

As for you actually managing the voting and time spent with the titles, maybe try something arbitrary like 1 game per weekend per vote? (just an example, I don't know what type of time you have on your hands or how dedicated you are to other titles at the moment).

Hmmm... The games currently waiting are some of the longest on the list (10-15 hours each, I think), and it'll take me a few weeks to complete those. After that it may be easy sailing, depending on what titles are picked.

Anyway, time for the first update!

This Starry Midnight We Make - report 1
After an hour of playtime, I think I'm starting to understand what I'm doing. Basically, you need to grow stars in a basin. They start out as little seeds, but they grow larger as they gather energy. Stars evolve depending on the surrounding energy and stars.

It's very much a matter of trial of error. Try different combinations, see different evolutions. The game does give a few hints, though. Right now I'm focusing on 'planting' lots of fluffy stars. These are unstable and explode into nebulae if there's not enough energy to feed then, thus creating more energy for other types of stars.

Why grow stars? To change the city, of course! For instance, Kyoto is rather hot in summer and the girl on the main street doesn't like that. By growing the right stars I can affect the climate and make it cooler. I've got a bunch of those unrequested requests lined up.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »

This Starry Midnight We Make - Final Report
Huh, wow, I'm done? I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing, but it seems like my 'throw everything into the basin and watch stuff react' strategy worked well enough. Once you've found a new star, the game notes down the 'recipe' for it, making it easy to replicate the process, even if you discovered the star by accident. My laptop, however, was not a fan of the starry clusterfuck I made. That's the main reason I probably won't try to complete the catalogue (I did finish the whole story, of course). Oh, but I did make a god! And little UFOs! Whee!

I paid: €3,05
I played: 6.4 hours
Worth the wait?: Yep, I love quirky stuff like this! The game is a bit hard to recommend because the star making is rather intimidating when you first get started, but it's an unique experience.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:44:50 PM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »

Sins of the Demon - Report 1
The 'cover' of this game is pretty misleading. While the big titted anime girl is an enemy found in the game, the actual game looks more like this:

I'm an hour in and it's looking really promising. There's a simple but fast-paced ATB combat system and I'm enjoying the banter between the two main characters. One of them is a sarcastic talking cat and that's an instant win in my book. There are even Tales-style skits to be found.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »
Totally interested to see more of what you think of Sins. It is sitting in wait in my steam library as well though I can't recall when I picked it up.

Just give a heads up if your gonna get spoilerific cause I'm following this thread and have a funny feeling more than one on your list is gonna be sitting, yet to be played, in my own library! ^_^

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »
Sure, no problem :)

Sins of the Demon - report 2
I think I'm close to the final third of the game. Most of the map has been explored and I've mostly been visiting old locations the past few hours, with some revealing flashbacks to spice things up. It's surprising how much I like some of the characters, most RPG Maker games don't exactly excel when it comes to characterisation. The cat is probably my favourite.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
Sins of the Demon - Final Report

... That was unexpectantly tragic... I mean, the ending is technically a good one, but the game didn't bother to pull punches and I respect that.

Code: [Select]
Why did they have to Aeris the cat? I loved that cat! D:

Oh, and some advice for anyone planning on playing this: make lots of pork buns and feed them to Kenshi. You'll thank me later.

I paid: €0,24
I played: 10 hours
Worth the wait?: Wow, €0,99 feels on the cheap side for a RPG Maker game this solid and I got it on sale! I feel kind of bad now... The first half of the game feels like a typical adventure in which you explore an island while hunting demons, but the second part is surprisingly story heavy and includes three long, interactive flashbacks. The twists weren't all that original, but they were executed well enough (compared to the newest installment of a certain SRPG series anyway...).

Edit: I'm up for some new numbers, by the way. I want to know what I can look forward to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:10:03 PM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 06:29:36 PM »
Thanks for all that Tomara.

I think that title will be bumped up much further on my own list. Your noted take on the ending there enticed me. The length of the RPGMaker games/ SNES styled turned based RPGs becomes intimidating to me past the 15-20 hours mark so "roughly 10" sounds great to me.

I do have one more question though. In terms of aesthetic, tone and content how would you desribe Sins? I ask because with inherent qualities like demon hunting and whatnot I'm curious if this one would be worth squeezing into my halloweeny-fall-spook-tacular-tastic gaming agenda. I really relish titles that are suitable for this time of year approaching and truth be told, strictly playing DARK SOULS 3 and DARKEST DUNGEON alone have been starting to make me feel funny (too dark and gloomy?).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 02:51:47 AM »
Hmmm, good question... I'd say it has a bit of an Inu Yasha vibe but in 16-bit style. The use of Japanese tile sets and other assets is consistent. You might see a NPC in western style clothing, but those sprites are so tiny it hardly stands out. The tone of the story is relatively light. On the one hand you have a country in a serious situation: people who commit one of the seven deadly sins turn into a demon. And the story does deal with death and loss. On the other, the people living there, including the playable characters, have had some time to get used to the threat. They have lives and interests beyond killing demons (for instance, Kenshi loves cooking), and many of the skits you find throughout the game are light-hearted.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
Gracias'

Now I feel more like (based on your description and the screens) its a distant cousin to early Breath of Fire. That is all sorts of fine by me.

Stoked to follow this thread and see what else you have on your list. I sort of have a sick pre-occupation with finding obscure steam gems ATM. There are just so many odd-ball titles that are actually GOOD it reminds me of what it was like when the NES was around and I never knew what to expect from a pile of cartridges I would get from a yard sale or the flea markets (I grew up in flea markets, different story entirely)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »
I haven't played much the past week because of other obligations and a sudden need to crochet, but I played enough for a small update:

Cubicle Quest - Report 1
Basically, life sucks and you have to make it suck a little less by acting like a proper adult, and kill the office dungeon bosses to gain promotions. All the drudgery of normal life is represented as RPG somethings. For instance, increasing your income means getting more soldiers to fight back the evil debt army. Your social circle is your armour, roommates are party members, and work-related monsters are weak to paperwork. I've just started chipping away at my debts and I have no idea how deep this rabbit hole goes, but the beginning is pretty entertaining.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
Well that is totally another 1 for my wishlist. I'm absolutely thilled with your selections Tomara, please don't stop this thread!!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
Cubicle Quest - Report 2
I'm sort of stumbling through life and not doing all too bad, if I do say so myself. Some lifehacks have made my (young) life much easier. For instance: crafting five sandwiches costs 20, but if you sell all of them you get 50. It's an easy way to pay off a credit card or two. Plus, sandwiches are a great way to restore HP early game. Oh, and save scumming is a thing and the game sort of encourages it.

I've also gathered what my goals in life will be: pay off my debts (working on my student loans now), buy a house (or rent forever by defeating a super difficult boss?), marry the girl of my dreams (I want the neurosurgeon, but the librarian isn't so bad either), and then kick looming depression in the ass.